Terraria 1.3.0.7 - Mac & Linux Open Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working around that problem with multiple game servers by compiling a recent gcc and linking newest libstdcc only to the executable with LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Below is a sample I had done under gcc-4.9.2

Code:
    wget http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-4.9.2/gcc-4.9.2.tar.gz
    tar -xzvf gcc-4.9.2.tar.gz
    cd gcc-4.9.2
    ./contrib/download_prerequisites
    cd ..
    mkdir gcc-4.9.2-obj
    cd gcc-4.9.2-obj/
    $PWD/../gcc-4.9.2/configure --prefix=/tools/gcc-4.9.2 --enable-languages=c++ --disable-nls --disable-multilib --disable-libgcj --without-headers --disable-static --without-cloog --without-isl
    --[ WARNING: can take several hours on single procs, and just around 20min on i7-like procs, can be quicker to generate at home and upload ]--
    make -j6
    make -j6 install

linking the lib near the game executable

Code:
ln -s /tools/gcc-4.9.2/lib*/libstdc++.so.6 /starbound/linux64/libstdc++.so.6

and LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./ in a launch sh script near the games binary should load the newest

And yeah it is worth to loose time because if you get it you won't get any more regression because of the manipulation, it is stable as having the libstdc++ straight in the system

Thanks for the info, going to try that later :)

Currently I'm struggling with lags when server is hosted on a linux environment. Windows dedicated server works flawlessly. The linux dedicated server seems to be leaking memory tho, as the memory usage keeps increasing even when I'm standing still on the server. Awaiting for approval on the social group to report the issue.

EDIT:

Tested in a clean VM ubuntu server and now its not lagging, at least with only one person. Need to test with another friend tomorrow.

Last edited:
Having problems launching the game it just crashes every time it crashes. I'm on a mac the version is 10.7.5 i was wondering if that was any effect why this isn't working please help?

I haven't seen mention of this bug. It affects Xubuntu Trusty (14.04) at very least. I am using XFCE as the desktop with Metacity as the window manager.

The game seems to randomly fail to recognize most keys, including the following:
  • All letter keys (A-Z);
  • The space, quote, semicolon, comma, period, and solidus keys;
  • The grave accent and the minus and equals keys (the ones appearing next to the number keys: keypad Add and Subtract are recognized);
  • The Enter key (keypad enter is recognized), which registers as Digit 1 instead of Enter;
  • The Escape key, which registers as Digit 2 instead of Enter;
  • The Backspace key, which registers as Digit 3 instead of Backspace;
  • The Tab key, which registers as Digit 4 instead of Tab.
If you engage the caps lock during game play, the game recognizes the caps lock, but the problem persists (as though it updates its state expectation in anticipation). If affected by this problem, you must close Terraria completely, then engage the caps lock and re-launch Terraria. The game will then work correctly, even if caps-lock is deactivated.

This is a really weird bug. How are you handling your input? I have seen similar cases to this happening before because Windows events report upper-case letters to listeners while X11 reports lower-case letters. That said, yours is the first where I've seen escape and enter not work. You can't be using XLookupString or XLookupKeySym because Space would give " ", which would work correctly. Plus, VK_ENTER and VK_ESCAPE on Windows are given their ASCII equivalents, just like on Linux. I looked at the dump of information given to your window for Escape and 2, and saw not a single nybble in common. I considered sign overflow since the keysyms for those four oddball keys are, respectively, 0xFF0D, FF1B, FF08, and FF09, but the keysym for Space is just 0x20, and the keysym for CapsLock is 0xFFE5, so the high bit being set is neither necessary nor sufficient for this problem. Moreover, only two of those keys are consecutive, and they'd be in the wrong order, anyway. So, um, what the hell?

EDIT: Originally I believed that starting the game with the caps lock engaged would work around the issue. I have since learned that this was a fluke. I have not found a procedure which is guaranteed to start the game with working input. String operations on keys which would correspond to a KeyTyped event do work; for example, I can name a map "ABC abc`-=,./" even though I cannot use ANY of those keys in, say, the Controls menu (and the game will not respond to them). However, the text prompt will still not recognize escape and backspace, and presumably not enter or tab, either (don't remember if those did anything).

Anyway, best of luck on this issue. I'll just engage my caps lock before playing until build 3 or whatever. Happy to help further if needed.

Great to have a release on Linux! ☺

Last edited:
I just tried it (1.3.0.7 beta 2) and it caused the whole machine to lock up due to using up all the memory (OOM - it was paging like crazy). I had to restart the whole machine but haven't started steam Linux since, so if there are any debug logs I can grab, please let me know. I am also happy to help you debug in any way I can - please let me know what I can do.

Steps:
1. Open Steam Linux.
2. Play Terraria.
3. Terraria opens after a surprisingly long while (~45 seconds)
4. Click Single Player, Play my character, Play the world.
5. It goes through the loading screen - placing liquid, etc. and it froze on ~70% of one of the stages, I forget which one.

CPU: Intel Core i3 540 @ 3.07 GHz (dual core)
Memory: 8 GB
Video: GeForce GT 240

Note that I am able to play the Windows version perfectly under Wine. I also had two Chrome profiles open, so it is possible that I only had a few GB of memory free. But again I am able to play the Wine version just fine under this exact same setup.

Trick: You can get better quality music in the Windows version, by renaming your Wave Bank.xwb, then replacing it with the 168MB one from the Mac/Linux beta. Windows stock version is 48kbps WMA, Mac/Linux gets MS ADPCM, which I verified to appear to be sourced from the original audio, rather than from the already incredibly lossy 48kbps WMA tracks.

So, when I try to launch Terraria on my computer, a Mac, it has the "Preparing to launch" window pop up for about 3/4 of a second, then it just flashes to saying "Terraria (Syncing)" before going back to "Terraria [mac-and-linux-open-beta]. Anyone know what to do?

For me there is a Steam depot issue, I'm usually comfortable using SteamCMD but for that version it is not downloadable on my side

I have tried a number of command lines

Code:
./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType linux +login <login> <password> +force_install_dir /terraria "+app_update 105600 validate -beta mac-and-linux-open-beta" +quit
./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType linux +login <login> <password> +force_install_dir /terraria "+app_update 105600 validate" +quit
./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType linux +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformBitness 64 +login <login> <password> +force_install_dir /terraria "+app_update 105600 validate -beta mac-and-linux-open-beta" +quit
./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType linux +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformBitness 32 +login <login> <password> +force_install_dir /terraria "+app_update 105600 validate -beta mac-and-linux-open-beta" +quit

And so much more combinations, they all fail in a 0 size download

Code:
Logging in user '<login>' to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for license info...OK
Update state (0x0) unknown, progress: 0.00 (0 / 0)
Success! App '105600' fully installed.

The only command that works is when downloading the Windows version under Linux with +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows, that depot is full is working here.

I have seen similar issue with a few betas on Steam when they were running different depots

While most people does not have any problem to download from, a large part will be presented an empty depot

TL;DR a few Linux and Mac users won't be able to download it even if switching to the beta tag

Last edited:
I have found root cause of my problem, it looks like wrong saying if you have access to Terraria on Steam you have access to the beta, because clearly Steam report I am not owning a license to download depot 105602 , but only to download depot 105601 (Windows)

Linux
Code:
./steamcmd.sh "+login <login> <password>" "+force_install_dir /terraria" "+download_depot 105600 105602" +quit
Code:
Starting downloading depot 105602 ..Missing license for depots 105602

Windows
Code:
./steamcmd.sh "+login <login> <password>" "+force_install_dir /terraria" "+download_depot 105600 105601" +quit
Code:
Starting downloading depot 105601

And yes I have a copy on Steam of Terraria ....

I have found root cause of my problem, it looks like wrong saying if you have access to Terraria on Steam you have access to the beta, because clearly Steam report I am not owning a license to download depot 105602 , but only to download depot 105601 (Windows)

Linux
Code:
./steamcmd.sh "+login <login> <password>" "+force_install_dir /terraria" "+download_depot 105600 105602" +quit
Code:

Windows
Code:
./steamcmd.sh "+login <login> <password>" "+force_install_dir /terraria" "+download_depot 105600 105601" +quit
Code:
Starting downloading depot 105601

And yes I have a copy on Steam of Terraria ....

The correct app id is 105600

did you try running with steamcmd in interactive mode? it worked fine for me

interactive is exactly the same as the single line version, only the last command works (the one to download the windows depot)

(download_depot is another command to check more deeply it is download_depot <appid> <depotId> the is a complete list of command here and depot ids here)

Code:
[root@frpar02-games steamcmd_linux]# ./steamcmd.sh
Redirecting stderr to '/root/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[  0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Steam>login <login> <password>

Steam>force_install_dir /terraria

Steam>app_update 105600 -beta mac-and-linux-open-beta -validate

Steam>app_update 105600 -beta mac-and-linux-open-beta
Success! App '105600' already up to date.

Steam>app_update 105600 -validate

Steam>download_depot 105600 105602
Downloading depot failed
Steam>download_depot 105600 105601
Starting downloading depot 105601 ..^C

Last edited:
interactive is exactly the same as the single line version

(download_depot is another command to check more deeply it is download_depot <appid> <depotId>)

Code:
[root@frpar02-games steamcmd_linux]# ./steamcmd.sh
Redirecting stderr to '/root/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[  0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Steam>login <login> <password>

Steam>force_install_dir /terraria

Steam>app_update 105600 -beta mac-and-linux-open-beta -validate

Steam>app_update 105600 -beta mac-and-linux-open-beta
Success! App '105600' already up to date.

Steam>app_update 105600 -validate

Steam>download_depot 105600 105602
Downloading depot failed
Steam>download_depot 105600 105601
Starting downloading depot 105601 ..^C

I tried "force_install_dir /terraria" and got errors too, using another location helped.

Nope I think you just got a permission error, removing or changing location does not change, I'm in chroot and I control the perm already well

For me It is just that I don't have been granted access to the depot, nor a dev or Steam mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom