Other Terraria 2 to skip 2.5D and go straight to 3D

cylon6

Terrarian
:redspin:Red has said in the past after he hands over the keys of sorts (after the Lunar 1.3 update) he was going to begin Terraria 2 in 2.5D and then Terraria 3 in 3D. Even though this would still be great, I feel he should maybe bypass the 2.5D and go straight for 3D for Terraria 2. ;)

What do you guys think?:indifferent:

I think Terraria is known for being in 2D and if he changed over to 3D for the sequel, it would be jarring. Terraria 2 being 2.5D is a much better idea in my opinion. I could see a version of terraria even now working well in 2.5D if it was truly done properly.

When you go into 3D you run into that minecraft issue where you don't know what's coming below or around you, which can cause complications. The fact the Terraria is 2D really relieves that uncertainty and that's one of the key parts of exploration in Terraria.

I don't really have a problem with the way minecraft plays, it's just clearly different. I like both games a whole lot, actually. And I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of a 3D Terraria type thing eventually, it's just that a sequel is supposed to expand and grow off the original concepts, not completely reimagine them. That's the difference between a successor and a sequel. And in the case of Terraria 2, we're talking about a Sequel.

Edit: Note this is all just speculation for the sake of speculation. Terraria 2 is so far off that, as Mr. Mystery says below, all "plans" are indeed up in the air. It is fun to think about though. We really could use a Terraria 2 speculation and discussion thread here, someone get on that.

Last edited:
Afaik Red hasn't even started working on Terraria 2 yet and is planning to make a somewhat different game before he continues with a "Terraria sequel". I think it's fair to say that any plans (such as T2 being pseudo-3d) are all up in the air.

That being said, I think either games would be very interesting and support Redigit in his decisions.

This is just going off what Red has said in the past for future plans and just for fun from me. I think the concept of 3d isn't way off for a sequel or Red wouldn't have even mentioned it. I've seen a Terraria mod for Minecraft that was really fun, could you imagine the fighting would be really exciting.

Please no. For one thing, people already say that Terraria is copying Minecraft (it's not). Making Terraria 2 3-D will only make the zealots worse. Secondly, I really hate 3-D games. My brain works in a 2-D plane, so having to move the mouse up to make the character look up makes no sense to me. Feel free to make a judgement call because of that. Finally, Terraria is know from being a 2-D game. Having Terraria 2 be 3-D would be like making Super Mario: City Simulator.

Please no. For one thing, people already say that Terraria is copying Minecraft (it's not). Making Terraria 2 3-D will only make the zealots worse. Secondly, I really hate 3-D games. My brain works in a 2-D plane, so having to move the mouse up to make the character look up makes no sense to me. Feel free to make a judgement call because of that. Finally, Terraria is know from being a 2-D game. Having Terraria 2 be 3-D would be like making Super Mario: City Simulator.

"(I've removed my name for privacy reasons) why do you play Terraria it's just a bull:red: copy of Minecraft why do you hate Minecraft now"
-All my friends of 2014 except one

I just reply "I have never heard of a 3D game as immersive and open-ended as Terraria. Anyways, I don't hate Minecraft, I just prefer games as well thought out as Terraria. Not saying that Minecraft isn't well thought out, though."

Because Minecraft is 3D, I get debilitating migraine headaches whenever I play it, especially when exploring underground. For the sake of my health, I had to quit.

If Terraria 2 is made in 3D, I will have to quit for the same reason. Don't do this to me.

Because Minecraft is 3D, I get debilitating migraine headaches whenever I play it, especially when exploring underground. For the sake of my health, I had to quit.

If Terraria 2 is made in 3D, I will have to quit for the same reason. Don't do this to me.
I honestly think that's starting to happen to me, I get slight headaches when in caves. Minecraft's getting boring, and probably will become :red: soon (thanks to Microsoft). Maybe not, though.

Yeah i also gets migraine maybe because of motion in 3d games,thats why i stopped playing minecraft.If terraria gets 3D well then thats goona be it for me :/.I much preffer terraria in 2D and possibly when it gets 2.5D it will still look awesome.

Yeah i also gets migraine maybe because of motion in 3d games,thats why i stopped playing minecraft.If terraria gets 3D well then thats goona be it for me :/.I much preffer terraria in 2D and possibly when it gets 2.5D it will still look awesome.
2.5D will work quite well in my opinion, just hopefully not a blue void for a background like in some of the 2.5D Mario Games (if there are none then I'm confused with something else).

(After a quick google search for 2.5D) I think if done well, 2.5D would be sweet but 3D would be terrible in my opinion, it just isn't terraria and would feel too much like minecraft even if it's completely different.

The 2D is what made me love it. I feel that the medium that is a 2D world allows for a lot more creativity, despite what others may think. A 3D world would be too expansive and would make it a lot harder to get things done, a lot harder than it would be in a 2D medium. Minecraft is already there for that anyways. It wouldn't be that much different from Minecraft in a 3D plane, sorry to say. It would just be labelled another one of those Minecraft clones. Which is why I love Terraria because it's 2D and it is NOT Minecraft clone. But if it were 3D, I would probably be one of the accusers of it being a Minecraft clone.

I agree with most of the anti-3D sentiment above me but I also think Terraria shouldn't go 3D merely because the possibilities of 2D aren't fully explored yet. Terraria still has so much potential in 2D that no other game has at the moment so why try to expand into an already competitive and increasingly competitive market?

First of all, 3-D would make it basically minecraft with some small (Large) adjustments. Second, sorry if I sound like a noob, but what is 2.5D? Never heard of it

Back
Top Bottom