Terraria doesn't start, Steam "Playing Terraria" status just dissapears after 5 seconds

naysko

Terrarian
So whenever I click the Play button for Terraria in Steam, I get the green border and the "Playing Terraria" status for five seconds, then it goes back to Online (Blue border). Terraria never starts and doesn't show any window or crash message.

I've seen this asked multiple times before and answered, but no luck. None of the provided suggestions fixed my problem.

I tried:
  • Reinstalling Terraria
  • Reinstalling XNA 4.0 multiple times
  • Reinstalling .NET (Installed 4.6.2, Reinstalled, Downgraded to 4.5.1, reinstalled, XNA reinstall)
  • Restarting my computer
  • Checking file integrity via Steam
None of these worked. Any more I could try?

I can provide more info if needed!

Thanks!

So whenever I click the Play button for Terraria in Steam, I get the green border and the "Playing Terraria" status for five seconds, then it goes back to Online (Blue border). Terraria never starts and doesn't show any window or crash message.

I've seen this asked multiple times before and answered, but no luck. None of the provided suggestions fixed my problem.

I tried:
  • Reinstalling Terraria
  • Reinstalling .NET (Installed 4.6.2, Reinstalled, Downgraded to 4.5.1, reinstalled, XNA reinstall)
  • Restarting my computer

Thanks!
I have the exact same issue. I don't want to say this but try wiping your PC and reinstalling Steam. I haven't done it but I think it might work. Tell me if you have any luck :D

I tried:
  • Reinstalling Terraria
  • Restarting my computer

Thanks!
I had this issue as well on my brand new windows 10 PC, it worked a few times after I went to the Compatibility Tab and checked the box to Run compatibility for: and selected windows 8(which was the highest it could go). It sometimes still doesn't run and on my Friends PC it doesn't work at all no matter what you do, and he runs windows 7.

I had this issue as well on my brand new windows 10 PC, it worked a few times after I went to the Compatibility Tab and checked the box to Run compatibility for: and selected windows 8(which was the highest it could go). It sometimes still doesn't run and on my Friends PC it doesn't work at all no matter what you do, and he runs windows 7.

Usually I just play Terraria PC on my slower, crappier laptop. It's not pretty but, hey, it works :happy:

Also, where was the Compatibility tab?

Also, where was the Compatibility tab?
when you go into the games folder, right click on Terraria.exe and click properties. there should be a compatibity tab. Done every possible fix i could find online to fix my friends terraria and still doesnt start. its a fresh install of windows 7 too.

You can launch terraria from it's own folder, but still steam overlay or steam multiplayer won't work. At least that's my problem.

@naysko, we need you to try and get us an error log from the game. This is a slightly complicated process, so here are the steps to follow:

1. Restart your computer so this can all be attempted on a fresh slate
2. Open your Steam Library
3. In the library, right click on Terraria and open "Properties"
4. Select the "Set Launch Options" button
5. In the resulting window, copy and paste the following text and then press okay
-logerrors -logfile
6. Launch Terraria so that the failure to launch can occur
7. Go to Documents\My Games\Terraria\Logs
8. In this folder should be a log file; please attach this to your next response with the "Upload a File" button

We really want to try and take a look at what is causing the issue here, and this is the easiest way for us to gather that information, as none of us encounter it on our end. Anyone else with this problem is welcome to do the same and post their results here. :)

Terraria works by reinstalling a corrupted dll file. It was maybe corrupted because of tModloader.

This post is ages old, I know, but this issue persists. Apparently i forgot about this post back when I started it.

You can launch terraria from it's own folder, but still steam overlay or steam multiplayer won't work. At least that's my problem.

I tried starting the Terraria.exe on its own without steam. Same issue: process appears in task manager but then just silently closes itself a few moments later. No signs of it starting or stopping.

@naysko, we need you to try and get us an error log from the game.

I did put the startup options to get a crashlog, but nothing happened! My "My Games\Terraria" folder is completely empty.

Any more advice or help from anybody would be appreciated. I'd like to get back to Terraria but my PC won't allow it..

You have the same problem as me.

I have tried reinstalling Terraria completely, XNA, Dot Net, etc and nothing will fix it. And it's not exclusive to Terraria, this is all XNA games like Stardew Valley too.
The only workaround I found, which I have not done yet, is to downgrade to Windows 10 build 1703 and not allow Windows Update to update your build.

I believe it's related to updates KB4054022 or KB4057247 on build 1709 which cannot be uninstalled.

The error I got from the Event Viewer is:
Code:
Application: Terraria.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.BadImageFormatException
   at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(System.String[], Boolean)
   at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(System.String[])

It's been a while, by now I've reinstalled Steam and Terraria and anything that has to do with .NET, all drivers and dependencies should be up to date, all symptoms and the issue still persists. Any more assistance please?

You have the same problem as me.

I have tried reinstalling Terraria completely, XNA, Dot Net, etc and nothing will fix it. And it's not exclusive to Terraria, this is all XNA games like Stardew Valley too.
The only workaround I found, which I have not done yet, is to downgrade to Windows 10 build 1703 and not allow Windows Update to update your build.

I believe it's related to updates KB4054022 or KB4057247 on build 1709 which cannot be uninstalled.

The error I got from the Event Viewer is:
Code:
Application: Terraria.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.BadImageFormatException
   at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(System.String[], Boolean)
   at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(System.String[])

Below is some more information on bad format exceptions and how to solve them, or at least, the most common one which produces a code identical to yours:

From my understanding this error is thrown when the application or dependency is expecting a file with a 32 bit format but receives a 64 bit format and vice versa. If I'm mistaken on this please let me know so we can get more accurate information.
tfeaJl8.png
This particular solution comes from a page on Microsofts Support Section, it was being used to troubleshoot a different game but I have found success in pointing users here to fix similar errors. See the image below for the steps to solve your problem.
xKm587E.png

Microsoft DirectX Web Installer File

It's been a while, by now I've reinstalled Steam and Terraria and anything that has to do with .NET, all drivers and dependencies should be up to date, all symptoms and the issue still persists. Any more assistance please?

As for your issue, your symptoms appear to be that of two other issues I have solved earlier. The first thing I want you to do is update Windows to the latest version. If that doesn't work, then I'll need you to use the event viewer and look for any errors that appear with Terraria as the source.

You'll press start and type in event viewer, then click the option that appears at the top under programs. You'll click on "Windows Logs" and then click "Applications" all at the left hand side. In the main window look for any errors with Terraria as the source, screenshot it and upload it here.

Back
Top Bottom