Resolved Terraria keeps freezing for ~1 or 2 seconds

MonsterMo

Terrarian
Hello everyone,
For a few months now, I've had this issue with Terraria where the game will freeze for ~1 or 2 seconds then return to normal. It's important to note is that when the game freezes it is the whole game and not just the screen, in other words when a freeze happens the game stops and doesn't continue in the background, but sounds and music still play, and when the game resumes it just continues where it left off.
I've checked on different worlds and with different characters and the problem still persists.
I've been scouring through many different forums on TCF, Steam, CodeWeavers, Reddit, etc., trying to solve this problem on my own. But I haven't been able to fix it despite the hours of time I've put into trying to resolve it (rip me).

I even tried to use lowest possible video settings (decreasing res, disabling effects, making the lighting retro, etc.) to see if it was my PC that was just not beefy enough, but nope, the problem still persisted despite this.

Here is a list of everything I have tried in order to try fix this:
  • Used lowest possible video settings
  • Deleted and re-installed Terraria multiple times
  • Turned off Multi-Core Lighting
  • Checked if frame-skip was causing any issue, but nope
  • Ensured memory usage was all good
  • Fiddled with V-Sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel
  • Updated all my drivers through Dell's SupportAssist program
  • Ensured all other programs were closed whilst playing Terraria
  • Disabled all mods
  • Disabled Autosave
  • Made sure no viruses were on my PC
  • Ran Terraria as administrator
  • Changed CPU affinity in Task Manager
  • Ran Terraria through NVIDIA's GeForce Experience
  • Ran Terraria in compatibility mode
Fyi, my OS is Windows 10
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you <3

i have the same issue on mobile. i think it's just either a bug or there's to much on the screen

I've seen people have this issue with certain hard drives - can you try installing Terraria onto a different drive?

I've been having this same problem, but don't have a SSD to switch to !
With regards to Terraria, the biggest difference between different types of storage that I have noticed is that load times improves dramatically when using an SSD. That is becaue they have much faster access time due to not having to position mechanical parts in a particular way. Terraria assets are stored in separate files instead of being bundled up in archives (monolithic files containing hundreds if not thousands of assets) like many other games do.

I wasn't aware the type of storage had anything to do with this particular issue. It's a bit unexpected since Terraria load everything in one go at the start of the game. Storage isn't really used after that except for saving progress. It does that periodically if you have AutoSave turned on.

I guess one thing you could try is turning AutoSave off, to see if it still freezes once in a while. But if you do that you will have to be more careful how you play. You need to pick Save & Exit manually from time to time to save your progress. That can be a bit disruptive, especially if you are far from your base. One way to deal with that is to bring a bed with you and build a small shelter when you need to save.

I switched to SSD and it increased the time between freezes but didn't completely fix it.
but after changing my settings to be fullscreen, borderless window disabled and fram skip disabled.. IT STOPPED FREEZING!!
thank you so much for helping me out :)

Back
Top Bottom