Member-Run Project Terraria Lighting Guide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewsus

Official Terrarian
Jewsus' Lighting Guide:
Lighting Header&Footer.png

Light increases the world's visibility, though Monsters are not visibly affected by it or its absence. Light does not prevent Monsters from spawning, nor does it reduce their spawn rate.

images

Introduction:
Greetings Esteemed Terrarians,
I am compiling an in depth lighting guide for Terraria anyone wishing to help add this document with me is more than welcome to add any contributions (no matter how big or small) so as to get the best and most accurate information on lighting we possibly can in order to further help others with their lighting needs. I am going to start by talking about chiaroscuro:
Chiaroscuro - (Italian for light-dark) in art is the use of strong contrasts between light and dark, usually bold contrasts affecting a whole composition. It is also a technical term used by artists and art historians for the use of contrasts of light to achieve a sense of volume in modelling three-dimensional objects and figures. Similar effects in cinema and photography also are called chiaroscuro.

Art History:
Origin in the chiaroscuro drawing
Chiaroscuro originated during the Renaissance as drawing on coloured paper, where the artist worked from the paper's base tone toward light using white gouache, and toward dark using ink,bodycolour or watercolour. These in turn, drew on traditions in illuminated manuscripts, going back to late Roman Imperial manuscripts on purple-dyed vellum. Such works used to be called "chiaroscuro drawings", but are more often described in modern museum terminology by such formulae as "pen on prepared paper, heightened with white bodycolour". Chiaroscuro woodcuts began as imitations of this technique. When discussing Italian art, the term sometimes is used to mean painted images in monochrome or two colours, more generally known in English by the French equivalent, grisaille. The term broadened in meaning early, to cover all strong contrasts in illumination between light and dark areas in art, which is now the primary meaning.

Chiaroscuro modelling:
The more technical use of the term chiaroscuro is the effect of light modelling in painting, drawing, or printmaking, where three-dimensional volume is suggested by the value gradation of colour and the analytical division of light and shadow shapes—often called "shading". The invention of these effects in the West, "skiagraphia" or "shadow-painting" to the Ancient Greeks, traditionally was ascribed to the famous Athenian painter of the fifth century BC,Apollodoros. Although virtually no Ancient Greek painting survives, their understanding of the effect of light modelling still may be seen in the late-fourth-century BC mosaics of Pella, Macedonia, in particular the Stag Hunt Mosaic, in the House of the Abduction of Helen, inscribed gnosis epoesen, or 'knowledge did it'. The term is mostly used to describe compositions where at least some principal elements of the main composition show the transition between light and dark.In drawings and prints, modelling chiaroscuro often is achieved by the use of hatching, or shading by parallel lines. Washes, stipple or dotting effects, and "surface tone" in printmaking are other techniques. (some of this is only partially relevant to Terraria tiles

Light settings:
Press F9 ingame to change the light setting.

There are four different light settings: color (default), white, trippy, and retro. The best light setting for you is dependent on your computer as well as your taste.

Color setting

White setting

Trippy setting

Retro setting

Primary light sources
These items are intended to provide light as a primary function.

Light Sources:
Light sources are items that produce light. Some are brighter than others, and produce varying colours of light. Note that several weapons and armour types also generate light, but I will not be detailing them much in this thread unless players decide to help add content for this. before I go any further though lets get into some:

Portable:
The following items are portable light sources that can provide light while being carried. Torches and Candles may also be placed as Furniture, andGlowsticks can be thrown. Water Candles will increase enemy spawn rates in the vicinity.
Torch
Candle
Glowstick
Sticky Glowstick
Mining Helmet
Jellyfish Necklace
Flare Gun
Flare / Blue Flare Fired from Flare Gun

Furniture:
The following provide light primarily as placed background Furniture.
Tiki Torch
Lamp Post
Heart Lantern
Star in a Bottle
Firefly in a Bottle
Lightning Bug in a Bottle
Candelabra
Chandelier
Lantern
Lamp
Skull Lantern
Chinese Lantern
Jack 'O Lantern

Novelty lights:
These placeable items provide a low amount of colored light, and are primarily intended as decoration, rather than providing functional light.

Disco Ball
Christmas lights

Buffs:
The following Buffs provide light as a result of a Potion or Magic item.
Shadow Orb
Fairy Bell
Wisp in a Bottle
Shine Potion
Reindeer Bells
Chlorophyte armor

Incidental light sources
The following items produce varying amounts of light, even though lighting is not their primary function.

Furniture:
Crystal Shard
Campfire
Furnace
Hellforge
Adamantite Forge
Titanium Forge
Lihzahrd Altar

Accessories:
Item Emits Light When Flying.
Rocket Boots
Jetpack
Butterfly, Fairy, and Flame Wings

Blocks:
Demonite Ore
Demonite Brick
Crimtane Ore
Meteorite
Gemspark Block
Lavafall Block
Lavafall Wall
Living Fire Block
Rainbow Brick

Growable:
These can be spawned given the right conditions, which occur naturally and can also be induced by the player.
Blinkroot
Fireblossom
Moonglow
Shiverthorn
Jungle Spores
Mushroom Grass
Glowing Mushrooms
Giant glowing mushroom

Other:
Lava
Teleporter
Plantera's Bulb

On world generation only
These are produced only on World creation, and can not be picked up, used, or placed by players.

Altars/Orbs Etc:
Demon Altar
Crimson Altar
Shadow Orb
Crimson Heart

images

Information sourced from various sites and compiled into one place in order to better help Terrarians with their lighting needs.

Last edited:
Torchlight
Screenshot (388).png

This section of thread will detail the different types of torches and their uses not all torches are for used just for lighting I will detail some non lighting related tricks here with torches.
images
Initial Testing:
Effective light radius of a single torch in a large room:

Torch - Normal.png
Torch - Blue.png
Torch - Red.png
Torch - Green.png
Torch - Purple.png
Torch - White.png
Torch - Yellow.png
Torch - Demon.png
Torch - Cursed.png
Torch - Ice.png
Torch - Orange.png
Torch - Ichor.png
Torch - Ultrabright.png

Last edited:
If you have things you want to add to this please PM me and I will add them accordingly don't just post randomly if you can help it.

Thank you :D

Have a nice day!

And Jewsus said "Let there be a guide about light". Then he went and typed it up.

Looking forward to seeing a way to brighten up my builds!

had to stop typing due to baking dinner then eating said baked dinner. Will now play some league of legends for my version of an after dinner mint :D then onwards to more guide writing!

Reactions: Azu
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom