Member-Run Contest Terraria Literature Competition

Pixel

Terrarian
Greetings authors and budding writers alike, and welcome to our literature competition, where entrants will be challenged to produce a short story or piece, revolving around a given scenario. Do you have a story to tell? Do you enjoy describing events and your surroundings to others? Do you have a burning passion for writing? Then this is the competition for you.

---

Information:

Around the beginning of each month, writers will be challenged with a new scenario, of which will be posted somewhere in the thread. This is very important for new readers who haven't yet grasped the concept and want to write for a previous challenge. New challenges will be directly linked at the end of the thread, so keep a close eye.

Potential entrants are challenged to write a short story. This short story should be worked on by a single individual; group works are not permitted.

--

Challenge No. 1:

<< You awaken fifteen minutes before midnight. You look outside your window, just as you catch sight of a Blood Moon. You break into a cold sweat. Listening closely, you distinguish the unmistakable groan of a zombie, as a large horde of them hobble up to your front door. A loud rattling permeates the air as they attempt to force entry into your humble abode, your only sanctuary from the evils of the world. Having barely survived the latest onslaught of nocturnal monsters from your preceding expedition, you begin to panic. Amidst your tangled mess of thoughts and emotions, one task, one objective, resides above all else; “I must find a way to survive.” >>

This short story should be written in between 250 - 2500 words, sticking to the general theme, horror, and set in the Terraria world. All entries must be submitted into this thread in a post, between the two following dates. This entry must be marked in a bright red title, to distinguish itself from the questions and messages.

16 June 2015 -- 26 June 2015

---

You have a time limit of ten days, commencing the moment the starting announcement for the competition is made. After this limit, the two judges, Pixel and Commander Crocket, will begin reviewing the entries submitted into the thread for a day or so. Entries will be marked based on their accuracy, creativity, and technique, before being given an overall score and general review and then tested against each other to decide a final top three.

Disclaimers: Whilst we understand some of you like to put humour in your literature, we ask that you do not overdo it and/or submit a joke story. Should you have any questions or concern, these should be placed in a separate post to your entry. Additional art for visual aid is accepted.

Last edited:
Yeah. 10 days should be a good timespace for writers to begin, complete, and tidy their works. I hope to see some good entries submitted.

For the meantime, the challenge revolves around that kind of horror genre. Of course, following challenges might go on the survival/diary/modded route. Glad to see this thread is getting some support.

The 1000 word limit was supposed to be 2500. My bad, I'll have that fixed. Strictness is moderate, I suppose.

Oh good, cause I probably won't go near that. I'm just uh, writing it now, and I envisaged it could end up being about 2000 words if not an abridged thing, which would be hella hard to cut to a thousand.

I see you did this little project without me, well not much to say, other than I'm immensely dissapointed you couldn't wait to contact me when I was reachable. I'd like to think that the proposition of this project meant that we'd both be involved somehow. Well, either way, I'll be entering. Commander Crocket, and you, are both excellent writers and I trust your decisions will be made in good taste. Perhaps we can work on some of those other projects we had plans on arranging?

Do we have to start our piece with the prompt you gave us, or can we write somefin revolving around that particular situation?

Do we have to start our piece with the prompt you gave us, or can we write somefin revolving around that particular situation?
I mean that's the what the challenge is centered on, so I'm assuming yes. I wouldn't say the prompt needs to be included, if that's what you're asking. The prompt tells you where the ground to build from is on. You don't need to write in the same style it presents. Just use it as a start for your story, written by someone else, as a general direction.

The 1000 word limit was supposed to be 2500. My bad, I'll have that fixed. Strictness is moderate, I suppose.

I lied, I hit 3k haha. But a lot of these pointless ends can go, I mean, who would I be otherwise - writing reams of pointless description in a horror story - Stephenie Meyer?

I see you did this little project without me, well not much to say, other than I'm immensely dissapointed you couldn't wait to contact me when I was reachable. I'd like to think that the proposition of this project meant that we'd both be involved somehow. Well, either way, I'll be entering. Commander Crocket, and you, are both excellent writers and I trust your decisions will be made in good taste. Perhaps we can work on some of those other projects we had plans on arranging?

I'm sorry. I felt guilty about continuing the project with CC, I admit, but I was so eager to get it started and went ahead. It will still be fun to see your entry, and perhaps your future entries on the next challenges.

I'm sorry. I felt guilty about continuing the project with CC, I admit, but I was so eager to get it started and went ahead. It will still be fun to see your entry, and perhaps your future entries on the next challenges.
To be honest I think you still should feel guilty. I've been trying to do something with you for an extremely long time, and everything I've done has ultimately not been continued because of your lack of motivation. Finally I suggest something you seem interested in, and willing to help with, you completely go behind my back and take the project to someone else. Without so much as a whisper. I'm working on my entry now, but with @Shotte participating I doubt it will be much competition.

To be honest I think you still should feel guilty. I've been trying to do something with you for an extremely long time, and everything I've done has ultimately not been continued because of your lack of motivation. Finally I suggest something you seem interested in, and willing to help with, you completely go behind my back and take the project to someone else. Without so much as a whisper. I'm working on my entry now, but with @Shotte participating I doubt it will be much competition.

You're a charmer, buddy, but I wouldn't count on my ol' plodding narrative out-doing yours or anyone else's! Besides, just because I've been a sweat - I really don't wanna discourage anyone else. That wasn't my intention; to show off, I really hope it didn't come off as such. So: can't wait to read the rest of you guys' entries, and hope you all have a bit of fun with it.

I mean, for me I normally write with a bit of a sardonic, maybe even angry edge to my works! So this was definitely something new for me, at least, once I get it finished. You guys'll be the judge of how it turned out, of course...

Keep in mind this thread is meant for the competition. If you two wish to continue your debate on who made what and if guilt should be felt, take it to a PM.

Didn't know there was a debate or argument present.
I'm confused too, I thought the thread would be utilized for everything pertaining to the topic: questions, concerns, suggestions...

Apparently, these parts of my post were missed. I don't think two comments is anything to call an argument. To be honest, I'm a little tired of this. Everyday I post something on the forum. If you're going to formulate a response to every couple of comments I make, you're spurring more of an argument then whatever the 'controversy,' if it can be called that, would've in the first place.

I'm working on my entry now, but with @Shotte participating I doubt it will be much competition.
Well, either way, I'll be entering. Commander Crocket, and you, are both excellent writers and I trust your decisions will be made in good taste. Perhaps we can work on some of those other projects we had plans on arranging?
@Shotte -- I actually consider you to be a very talented writer, having seen your intelligence first hand. I still think I won't be even a considerable thread.

250 - 2500 words

Ahh...well I don't think I'd be able to participate. 2.5k words to me would feel very hollow. I'd end up going over 10k in no time if I got really into it.

Not to say I wanted to participate in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom