Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
So I was playing Terraria yesterday as normal. When I finished, I shut my pc down, windows did an update while shutting down, I never turned off the power to the wall. I turned my pc on again today to play Terraria and the new world that I've been playing on had disappeared.

I generated this world after the 1.4 update and enabled cloud saving. I looked into my "Worlds" folder and found the backup file. After deleting the .bak extension I loaded up the world again, but the backup world that was there was an older version. I had lost about 50 hours of progress. So, I went to look in my recycle bin and I find my world in there without the .bak extension. Terraria had quite literally deleted its own world. Even still, the world in the recycle bin was the same, older version of the world for some reason and neither of my files allowed me to recover the world from cloud saves. I don't understand how my world had disappeared and even still, why cloud saving didn't work in the slightest.

My Character was intact from what I can tell, but most of my builds, everything in my chests and my fishing quest progress has all been setback 50~ hours. I'm not even in hardmode anymore. This has completely ruined my experience with Terraria. I've been playing since May of 2011, I've put nearly 1300 hours into this game, but I can't see myself playing this game again any time soon. I feel completely demoralised and unmotivated to get back to where I was, mainly because it was on Master Mode. It was such a slog getting to where I was, and now it seems it was mostly for nothing.

My steam library is installed on my HDD, while only Windows 10 and some core files are installed on my SSD. My HDD is maybe less than 2 years old, bought new in store. My worlds and character files are also installed on my HDD.

PC Specs:

Motherboard: ROG Z390-F Gaming
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 TI
CPU: Intel i5-9600KF 3.70GHz
PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600
HHD: WDC WD20EZRZ-22z5HB0 (2TB)
SSD: Kingston SUV400S37120G (120GB)

Update: So after a day, I decided to completely delete my Terraria install folder both in the Steam directory and my "my games" folder. I started a new world and a new character with a friend on multiplayer. Now today, I open up Terraria and my original world is there in all of it's glory. I moved it off cloud and backed up the save manually in a different folder. I don't know how or why this happened but I am glad that I didn't lost all of my progress.

Still, I would like to know how this happened so that others may avoid such trouble in the future.

Update: So after a day, I decided to completely delete my Terraria install folder both in the Steam directory and my "my games" folder. I started a new world and a new character with a friend on multiplayer. Now today, I open up Terraria and my original world is there in all of it's glory. I moved it off cloud and backed up the save manually in a different folder. I don't know how or why this happened but I am glad that I didn't lost all of my progress.

Still, I would like to know how this happened so that others may avoid such trouble in the future.
I hope you read this fast. DO NOT PUT IT ON STEAM CLOUD. Steam Cloud is corrupting world files. You sir, however, are the ONLY person to have a problem seeming like possibly a corrupted world AND get it back. This might be very valuable for some form of work-around? @Leinfors I hope this helps.

I . . . doubt this is a reliable fix to corrupt worlds. I'm not sure what would have caused it to come back, but this sounds like a lucky break to me.

Back
Top Bottom