Items The Big Book of Monsters, the Monster Journal

Dakota Spine

Headless Horseman
Hey guys, Dakota here. Any of you ever play Paper Mario? In the first two games, you had a partner that would give you information on an enemy in battle. I thought the same thing could be done with other enemies in Terraria. This item would be called the Monster Journal. Allow me to elaborate!

Obtaining

I have four proposed ways of obtaining the Monster Journal.
1: You get it upon starting a world, along with your three copper tools.
2: You obtain it from the Guide by talking to him.
3: You buy it from the Merchant for 1 Silver.
4: You get it by killing the first slime you see. It will be a Green slime with the book's sprite inside. Like the Ninja inside the King Slime.

Usage

It's usage, as I said at the top of the thread, would be tracking down information on any enemy. Even bosses!

-Throwing
To get the information in the first place, you need to left click with the book chosen in your hotbar. It would launch out like a Boomerang, and return at a fast speed. Speed almost that of the Paladin's Hammer. Now, before you freak out on me, just know that it doesn't deal damage of knockback to the enemy. As soon as it touches an enemy, you can read about them in it.

-Reading

In order to read it, you simply right click it in your hotbar. It will bring up a GUI that appears similarly to your inventory. On it's left page, a scrolling page that has a slot for every enemy. On it's right, a normal page that will show an image of the enemy. As well as it's health, damage, defense, drops, and all other stats. Almost like a portable Wiki of sorts. It can track down Bosses as well, the Bosses having slightly fancier pages than normal enemies. The image you click on on the left will have an image of the full enemy on it.

As well as that, if you fill out the entire thing, it's sprite will gain a golden lining, and the pages as well will be lined with Golden Leaf.

It will also track how many of the enemy you have killed with small white numbers under their image on both the left and right page. The right page's numbers being a bit bigger. It gradually grows more red the more you kill, going from white, to yellow, to orange, to red, and finally to dark red.

Closing
That is what I have to share for the idea of a Monster Journal. I hope you guys like it. Feel free to leave ideas in the replies.

Thanks for reading. Dakota, out.

Last edited:
neat idea, but I think it should work a bit differently.
it should record enemies in the book by killing them normally (of course when it's in the inventory)

it should also track the amount of said enemy you have killed.

For how it captures information, I feel it could go either way. I just wanted a more unique way of doing it.

And as for the second part, I will add that to the OP.

So basically an on the go guide for any enemy? What about monsters like
Skeletron, Skeletron prime, and Golem Do you have to get a hit on the different entities?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that i do like the concept A lot

So basically an on the go guide for any enemy? What about monsters like
Skeletron, Skeletron prime, and Golem Do you have to get a hit on the different entities?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that i do like the concept A lot

No, every enemy gets one entry. If it's the Golem's Fist, or floating head, you get the Golem entry. His Skeletron's Skull, Hands, or his spinning form, just Skeletron's Entry.

Wouldn't find it that necessary to be in-game, but nonetheless, I'd appreciate a neat thing like this added to the game. Though I'm sure I've heard an idea similar to this before, I'll let that pass my mind and give you a thumbs up. Good work.

Nice. Maybe the more common the enemy the less you have to kill it, the more rare/strong the enemy the more times you have to kill it for it to be added to the entry?

Or after your unique boomerang book method as you defeat said enemy a number of times more information is added?

No, the way it is used is that you just throw the book at it. Once it is touched by the book, it's entry is added. It doesn't damage the enemy.

No, the way it is used is that you just throw the book at it. Once it is touched by the book, it's entry is added. It doesn't damage the enemy.

I never said it damaged the enemy, I said you had to kill the enemy for the entry to be added; I don't like how it's so easy. No point in it (in my opinion) if you just throw it and you get the entry; I might as well just look at it, write down its stats on a notepad and it would be the same thing; but faster.

I never said it damaged the enemy, I said you had to kill the enemy for the entry to be added; I don't like how it's so easy. No point in it (in my opinion) if you just throw it and you get the entry; I might as well just look at it, write down its stats on a notepad and it would be the same thing; but faster.

Well, in the long run, it doesn't make a huge different. Just a few seconds for a Zombie for example.

Well, in the long run, it doesn't make a huge different. Just a few seconds for a Zombie for example.

Yeah; as I said before for more common enemies I would imagine it would take less time, however for boss enemies it may take more given that you need to summon and find time to even hit it with the book while avoid projectile fire. I'm not saying it's not easy to do; I'm saying because they are bosses and aren't something you run across everyday. It would be in my opinion presumable that they'd be harder to obtain than normal enemies. I don't want to completely rout your idea; much less make it not yours. Those were just my two cents. I don't think there would be a point as I said in my last post if there's not some challenge to collecting entries.

Yeah; as I said before for more common enemies I would imagine it would take less time, however for boss enemies it may take more given that you need to summon and find time to even hit it with the book while avoid projectile fire. I'm not saying it's not easy to do; I'm saying because they are bosses and aren't something you run across everyday. It would be in my opinion presumable that they'd be harder to obtain than normal enemies. I don't want to completely rout your idea; much less make it not yours. Those were just my two cents. I don't think there would be a point as I said in my last post if there's not some challenge to collecting entries.

It isn't meant to be a challenge in the first place though. It is meant to be more of a portable enemy wiki.

Back
Top Bottom