Votes: 9 81.8%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe!

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Dire Sigma

Skeletron Prime
Hey you guys, i've had this idea on my head since early March, and I finally decided to post it here. I'm not exactly the best at making suggestions so feel free to correct me.

The Arbitrator (Thanks to @TheGreatB3 for this name change!)

Damage: 65
Speed: Average
Critical Strike Chance: 10%
Weapon type: Bow
Turns arrows into culling arrows upon marking

this weapon is obtainable Post-Plantera

Now you're probably thinking to yourself "Dire, this is just some crappy bow with stupid arrows omg why do u evn tri" so i'll get straight ahead to what the weapon does. When firing, fires pretty much like any other bow, until you press the RMB while your mouse hovers over an enemy. Upon doing so, the enemy you clicked on will become marked, so what? When you fire the weapon now you'll notice a huge difference, the arrows will fly faster and farther than they normally do, but deal less damage to unmarked enemies. So what's the point of the whole marking system? Well, hitting enemies that are marked with it's arrows will yield a significant increase in damage.

You may think that the whole marking system may be a bit OP, but to balance it out the weapon can only mark one enemy at a time, and the damage bonus slowly degrades until the bonus is completely depleted. (Many thanks to @Teal for this suggestion!)

And as for its uses in PvP, the marking ability is usable, however, the markee is completely aware of the marking. If marked, the victim will recieve a debuff called, well, Marked. The debuff itself is harmless to the victim unless struck by culling arrows, and will display the same red crosshair on their characters sprite.

That's all I have on the idea so far, let me know what you like about the weapon and what needs to be worked on. Cheers!

Last edited:
It's entirely unique compared to all the other bows in Terraria. I'm not sure if it would fit as a bow, more like a magic weapon it would seem. It's just my opinion though. Besides that, it's fine. Support!

You forgot to mention what the culling arrows do. I am assuming that the marking ability can be used on bosses (which is okay in my opinion). I am also wondering when the bow is able to be obtained. Those are my thoughts on the matter.

You forgot to mention what the culling arrows do. I am assuming that the marking ability can be used on bosses (which is okay in my opinion). I am also wondering when the bow is able to be obtained. Those are my thoughts on the matter.
Ah yes, thank you for mentioning those! What I should have put was that arrows turn into culling arrows upon marking. And about when it's obtained, it'll be obtainable post Plantera. How exactly it's obtained is a good question...

This is pretty original and unique. Just a quick question: what is the damage increase/decrease like on the Marking? And will the Culling Arrows keep the damage values of the original arrows?
Interesting idea, support.

This is pretty original and unique. Just a quick question: what is the damage increase/decrease like on the Marking? And will the Culling Arrows keep the damage values of the original arrows?
Interesting idea, support.
The decrease and increase would be adding and subtracting 30 damage from the original stats, so the decrease would be 35 and the increase would be 95.

And it would keep the damage of the arrows being consumed.

Ah, so without markings it would be 65? And then when marked, the marked target would take 95 damage, but 35 damage for non-marked enemies?
Yup. It's supposed to be a sort of tradeoff for marking enemies, it fires way better than it did pre marking, but does less damage to non marked enemies, but also does a ton more damage to marked enemies.

Very interesting idea! Maybe once an enemy is marked, it would sort of be like targeting, so firing arrows in the general direction of the enemy will instead fire straight at them. Either way, good work!

Very interesting idea! Maybe once an enemy is marked, it would sort of be like targeting, so firing arrows in the general direction of the enemy will instead fire straight at them. Either way, good work!
Naw, that'd upset the balance of the weapon, but that also brings up an idea. Enemies that are marked will have a glowing red crosshair that circles the target, making it easier to "cull" them out of a crowd.

Enemies that are marked will have a glowing red crosshair that circles the target, making it easier to "cull" them out of a crowd.
The crosshair idea was exactly what I had in mind when I saw that they would be marked. It also fits with the definition of "cull" perfectly.
Just for everybody else, to cull is to "select from a large quantity; obtain from a variety of sources."

This is an interesting concept for a weapon! All it needs is a bit more clarity on some things (multiplayer interaction, how to undo a mark, ect.). Also, I think that the damage decrease to unmarked enemies should be lowered, maybe about 10 less damage instead of 30.

Will there be a time limit on the cull effect? I feel like there should be, since bosses would still take a long time to kill, and if it lasts until the boss dies, it could be way too OP.
Also, if you switch to another weapon, and then back to the Cull, will the mark still be active?
And, as MegaMage brought up, will it work on other players in PvP?

I don't find it Op against bosses even with the marking.

The grenade launcher with rocket 1 deals 90 damage. It is literally as close to post plantera as possible. Oh and the rockets deal AoE damage and don't make the damage to other enemies pathetic. They both have average fire speeds.

Last edited:
Will there be a time limit on the cull effect? I feel like there should be, since bosses would still take a long time to kill, and if it lasts until the boss dies, it could be way too OP.
Also, if you switch to another weapon, and then back to the Cull, will the mark still be active?
And, as MegaMage brought up, will it work on other players in PvP?
No, it doesn't have a time limit, it doesn't need one because it can't target more than one thing. And I suppose the marking ability would work in pvp.

On topic:
Is the bow like a normal bow or a repeater? That could help if someone wanted to make a sprite for it (In your post I couldn't see if there was a sprite for it, despite my bad internet).

Off topic:
Is the bow going to look like your avatar? :p
It's a bow with a sort of tribal look to it, a dark mahogany longbow with bright feathers adorning the arms of the bow. I also thought it would have two little animal skulls hanging on the bottom arm, but they'd be too small to put on a sprite.

It's a bow with a sort of tribal look to it, a dark mahogany longbow with bright feathers adorning the arms of the bow. I also thought it would have two little animal skulls hanging on the bottom arm, but they'd be too small to put on a sprite.
Pretty unique suggestion, In Terraria terms, I like it. However, I don't like the name. "Cull of the Hunt" is using improper tense, which may be dismissed as license, but still doesn't roll off the tongue in a fluent or appealing way. Especially when dealing with a noun, specifically a useable object. I propose "Culler of the Hunted" which may be a minor difference, but better IMO. Also I suggest a minor tweak to the nerf pool. Instead of having a cool-down on the ability, after the expiration, just have the "ability/effect" last longer on its target and slowly degrade in strength until full depletion. This way the ability is still in effect the whole time, getting rid of a cool-down, but still manages to nerf the ability.
This feature is in a lot of other games, so not entirely unique. Yet, I'd love too see this in Terraria, as reflected in my long winded comment.

Pretty unique suggestion, In Terraria terms, I like it. However, I don't like the name. "Cull of the Hunt" is using improper tense, which may be dismissed as license, but still doesn't roll off the tongue in a fluent or appealing way. Especially when dealing with a noun, specifically a useable object. I propose "Culler of the Hunted" which may be a minor difference, but better IMO.
I propose that it should be called The Arbitrator. Or The Arbiter, whichever one sounds better to you. If not, I might find a use for that name in a suggestion of my own.

Back
Top Bottom