Weapons & Equip The Hiryuu - Giving Wyverns a unique drop

So I finally got around to posting this, haha. u_u Enjoy!

It appears that almost all of the other mini-bosses have an array of unique loot (the Moth doesn't seem to have that big of a loot table, but I plan on suggestioning something to fix that in the near future), so I thought that the Wyvern could use another particularly unique item, also. That said, I'd like to suggestion a new weapon that is dropped by Wyverns, the Hiryuu!

(From a preliminary search, there was no suggestions just like this one. Be sure to let me know in the comments or wherever if there actually is, as I have no intention of taking someone else's suggestion.)

divider.png

Hiryuu
Hiryuu.png

Description

The Hiryuu is a Hardmode sword dropped rarely from Wyverns. When swung, it emits a particle effect similiar to the Muramasa, except that the light released is white, rather than blue.

Stats

42 Melee Damage

Fast Speed

Average Knockback

Continuous Attack: Yes

Obtainment

Dropped by: Wyverns

Wyvern.png

Drop chance: 7.5%

~Credits~

Credit for the sprite goes to my friend, @Hunited .

If you wish to use this for a mod, please contact me before doing so.

divider.png

Feedback, constructive criticism, & reasonable stat change suggestions are appreciated.

index.php

Last edited:
Loving it, except maybe that damage stat... at the point where you're first getting wings, is 50 damage at that speed balanced?
Yeah, that's the one thing I wasn't too sure about. I think that, given the fairly low drop chance and the rarity of Wyverns, this is pretty balanced. As another important note, it's not guaranteed that you get this blade upon first attaining the (Angel or Demon) wings. Souls of Flight always drop from Wyverns, this doesn't.

I'm open to stat change suggestions regarding that, though. As long as the suggestions have a good reason. :)

I don't understand this forum. 'This existing item has a low drop chance, RNG is evil, here's how I make it guaranteed' 'support' 'I made up an item that drops rarely from rare enemies.' 'support'. People just want whatever's different, I think.

At that kind of speed, plus the auto-swing, it seems like a damage stat near Mythril would be appropriate.
~39 damage would make it a bit too weak, in my opinion. As far as normal game progression goes, I think it'd be fair to assume that people would obtain it at around the time after crafting the Excalibur (barring that people can grind for it).

Rarity doesn't really justify power.
In this specific case, I would think that it does. If the player obtains the weapon as a part of the game's normal progression, they would (theoretically) have it at around the time that they'd have the Excalibur (as iterated above). This seems balanced to me.

Even if a player does do the annoying grind for it early-Hardmode, though, I'd still be inclined to think that it'd be balanced. I think of it in the same way that I would think of people grinding for Frost Armor in semi-early-Hardmode (which is not too bad of an armor set). (The "semi" being there because someone would have to take down a Hardmode boss before getting the armor, though that's still pretty early Hardmode stuff, I'd say.)

Last edited:
I honestly can't see a reason for killing Wyverns excessively apart from getting this. One may use up five to eight wyverns in their standard game playthrough, since several wings are available without souls. In short, it's whoever does the grind (in which case they might as well do it early) or whoever gets really lucky.

Furthermore, there already is a sword filling its niche if you intend it to be an Excalibur-tiered sword: the Cutlass is available at the same time and has fairly similar stats. The two would kind of crowd in on each other, and the Cutlass is arguably easier to obtain - and better.

Furthermore, there already is a sword filling its niche if you intend it to be an Excalibur-tiered sword: the Cutlass is available at the same time and has fairly similar stats. The two would kind of crowd in on each other, and the Cutlass is arguably easier to obtain - and better.
This is a fair point. So with that said, I've nerfed it a bit to 42 (heh) damage. I think that should balance it out decently. (Would like everyone to keep in mind that this is likely not the final change that will be made to the stats, though.)

So I finally got around to posting this, haha. u_u Enjoy!

It appears that all the other mini-bosses have an array of unique loot, so I thought that the Wyvern could use another particularly unique item, also. That said, I'd like to suggestion a new weapon that is dropped by Wyverns, the Hiryuu!

(From a preliminary search, there was no suggestions just like this one. Be sure to let me know in the comments or wherever if there actually is, as I have no intention of taking someone else's suggestion.)

divider.png

Hiryuu
View attachment 31488

Description

The Hiryuu is a Hardmode sword dropped rarely from Wyverns. When swung, it emits a particle effect similiar to the Muramasa, except that the light released is white, rather than blue.

Stats

42 Melee Damage

Fast Speed

Average Knockback

Continuous Attack: Yes

Obtainment

Dropped by: Wyverns

View attachment 31491

Drop chance: 7.5%

~Credits~

Credit for the sprite goes to my friend, @Hunited .

If you wish to use this for a mod, please contact me before doing so.

divider.png

Feedback, constructive criticism, & reasonable stat change suggestions are appreciated.

index.php

I would of liked a bow like weapon to be dropped off Wyvern, considering it flies.The bow would be pale blue dealing more damage than any other bow in the game but its arrows would drop 15 blocks after being shot and would drop straight down until it hits a block or enemy. This would only make it useful in close range but high damage would make it good. Its 'rate of fire' would be average and it would sell fore 5 gold as the drop rate would only be 5% . I would also like to see a banner or trophy for wyvern . But I could be wrong there could be one already. I don't know if this would be a good thing to drop off of Wyvern though, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
I would of liked a bow like weapon to be dropped off Wyvern, considering it flies.The bow would be pale blue dealing more damage than any other bow in the game but its arrows would drop 15 blocks after being shot and would drop straight down until it hits a block or enemy. This would only make it useful in close range but high damage would make it good. Its 'rate of fire' would be average and it would sell fore 5 gold as the drop rate would only be 5% . I would also like to see a banner or trophy for wyvern . But I could be wrong there could be one already. I don't know if this would be a good thing to drop off of Wyvern though, what do you guys think?
I personally prefer the idea that I presented above, over a bow, but that still does seem like a pretty cool idea. It would probably be better for you to create your own thread regarding it, though. I'd imagine it getting more attention there. :)

And yes, Wyverns do drop banners.

Nice sprite. I agree with above people that it would be in pretty direct competition with the cutlass, so maybe make it weaker with some kind of ability, as mentioned above.

Oh, and fighting rare enemies for rare drops is no fun. Perhaps it could be crafted with souls? You say wyverns are the only mini boss without a special drop, by hey, they drop souls. So... 30 souls of flight, 20 feathers, and 15 mythril/orichalcum bars? Just an idea.

Other than those two things, this looks great. Support.

Nice sprite. I agree with above people that it would be in pretty direct competition with the cutlass, so maybe make it weaker with some kind of ability, as mentioned above.
My response to the Cutlass point:
This is a fair point. So with that said, I've nerfed it a bit to 42 (heh) damage. I think that should balance it out decently. (Would like everyone to keep in mind that this is likely not the final change that will be made to the stats, though.)

Oh, and fighting rare enemies for rare drops is no fun. Perhaps it could be crafted with souls? You say wyverns are the only mini boss without a special drop, by hey, they drop souls. So... 30 souls of flight, 20 feathers, and 15 mythril/orichalcum bars? Just an idea.
This seems to defeat the purpose of having another unique drop for Wyverns, which is pretty much the theme of this thread.

For the record, I said, "It appears that all the other mini-bosses have an array of unique loot, so I thought that the Wyvern could use another particularly unique item, also." I never said that they don't have any unique drops absolutely at all, but I instead said that they don't seem to have enough unique drops, per the theme of the thread. Sorry if I was confusing. :p

My response to the Cutlass point:

This seems to defeat the purpose of having another unique drop for Wyverns, which is pretty much the theme of this thread.

For the record, I said, "It appears that all the other mini-bosses have an array of unique loot, so I thought that the Wyvern could use another particularly unique item, also." I never said that they don't have any unique drops absolutely at all, but I instead said that they don't seem to have enough unique drops, per the theme of the thread. Sorry if I was confusing. :p
Well yeah, I mean Red Devils have some loot and paladins have some loot, but they are annoying to grind. Ice golems drop a material instead, which is much nicer, and wyverns already have a material they drop. I guess what I am trying to say is that crafting it with souls would be much less grindy, while still giving the wyvern unique loot. They are, y'know, the only thing that drops souls of flight, so it's not like you could get this without fighting any wyverns.

Well yeah, I mean Red Devils have some loot and paladins have some loot, but they are annoying to grind. Ice golems drop a material instead, which is much nicer, and wyverns already have a material they drop. I guess what I am trying to say is that crafting it with souls would be much less grindy, while still giving the wyvern unique loot. They are, y'know, the only thing that drops souls of flight, so it's not like you could get this without fighting any wyverns.
Red Devils aren't generally considered as mini-bosses, I think. Ice Golems drop Icy Feathers, the Frost Staff, and the aforementioned material (Frost Core). Seems to me that the Ice Golems have a pretty unique loot table.

I can understand your point, though; I'm just more lenient towards the way I have it set up now. :)

Red Devils aren't generally considered as mini-bosses, I think. Ice Golems drop Icy Feathers, the Frost Staff, and the aforementioned material (Frost Core). Seems to me that the Ice Golems have a pretty unique loot table.

I can understand your point, though; I'm just more lenient towards the way I have it set up now. :)
Red Devils are the only things that drop fire feathers and the unholy trident, so I think that qualifies them for mini boss status. Also, I thought the frost staff came from icy mermen?

Anyhoo, it's your suggestion. I personally prefer less rare drops, but the idea is good regardless :p

Back
Top Bottom