Other The Italian translation is abysmal! --- I offer my help!

SeriousAmaro

Official Terrarian
Hi, I'm SeriousAmaro, I'm close to getting my language degree at Roma Tre University, and I'm also a small Italian YouTuber, mostly bringing Terraria content.

I've always played the English version since its release until I started making Italian tutorials, and I noticed how terrible the Italian version of the game is! [it does have one good thing over the ENG version though: modifiers in brackets and after the name of the item]. It's fairly obvious that different people worked on the translation between updates, due to numerous newer objects having the same name as old ones, while other translations are just literal and they have no contextual meaning in Italian.

This is just wrong:
  • Ranged Damage = danno da Boomerang --> danno da distanza
Some literal translations:
  • Insane Speed = velocità matta --> altissima velocità
  • Knockback = spintone --> contraccolpo
One name for multiple items/entities:
  • Fantasma = used for both the Phantom [correct] and the Wraith ["spettro"];
  • Stregone = used for both the Wizard ["Mago"] and the Witch Doctor ["Sciamano"];
  • Lucido da armatura = used for both the Armor Polish [correct] and the Armor Bracing ["tutore rinforzato"]

I'd personally like to correct the Italian translation if Re-Logic would allow me; otherwise, I'm more than happy to spot as many translation errors as possible and keep them coming in this post so that Re-Logic can fix the adaptation themselves.

Thanks for your time,
Hopefully, this will be seen by the devs team :)

Your best bet to start with is to make your own resource pack that improves the translation and add it to the workshop - then at least others can use it even if it's not official.
It would be an idea, but I don't know where to start.. are there any tools or resources I can use?

Sorry for the necroposting, but +1 for the "Stregone" change! The Witch Doctor should really be translated to "Sciamano", it currently shares the same translation of the Wizard (in that case, "Stregone" is fine).

"Danno da Boomerang" is wrong too, but after hours and hours of gametime i got used to it...

I might be a bit late for this, but this post by Leinfors has excellent tutorials on creating all the different types of resource packs you could think of, including language packs.
Sorry but i disagree. While Resource Packs are good for some things, the base game should not have Translation inaccuracies/misunderstandings. What if i'm a new player and i don't know about Resource Packs?

Sorry but i disagree. While Resource Packs are good for some things, the base game should not have Translation inaccuracies/misunderstandings. What if i'm a new player and i don't know about Resource Packs?
I never said there should be?

No no, of course you did not. But saying something like "You can do a resource pack" implies "Leave the game as it is" in some way.
I get a reply like that every time I point out something I would change in a game eheh! The tools we have at our disposal are amazing if you can handle them, and thankfully I was able to make a satisfying resource pack with tons of fixes and changes

Back
Top Bottom