Mobile The Path Ahead: Major News Updates for Console & Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot_2016-12-19-09-42-56.png
Screenshot_2016-12-16-12-18-26.png
I found what appears to be a wall I don't recognize at the top of the world

Also meet the legendary sbunnyl (animals get stuck there until I open any inventory)
How do I remove the extra images

It's supposed to have 512 GB (according to the specs) but the used vs free never adds up to that and this issue usually happens after I've been on the game for a while (most of the time it saves fine) but occasionally it crashes after saving the player data but before saving the world data so anything placed or put in a chest is since the last save is lost and anything picked up or removed from a chest is dupped (never dupes anything good) my strategy for keeping things safe is to put extremely valuable or hard to replace stuff in my piggy bank or safe and if I have to put it in the world I back up my character first the game is playable as this and getting YouTube notifications texts or phone calls is the only thing that crashes it usually (occasionally there are crashes I can't explain where the screen gets pale first but they are rare) even if it is due to RAM shortage the code should catch the outOfMemoryExeption and put a save failed notification in a toast (which I probably wouldn't see because I keep notifications off for terraria otherwise it crashes immediately)

It's supposed to have 512 GB (according to the specs) but the used vs free never adds up to that and this issue usually happens after I've been on the game for a while (most of the time it saves fine) but occasionally it crashes after saving the player data but before saving the world data so anything placed or put in a chest is since the last save is lost and anything picked up or removed from a chest is dupped (never dupes anything good) my strategy for keeping things safe is to put extremely valuable or hard to replace stuff in my piggy bank or safe and if I have to put it in the world I back up my character first the game is playable as this and getting YouTube notifications texts or phone calls is the only thing that crashes it usually (occasionally there are crashes I can't explain where the screen gets pale first but they are rare) even if it is due to RAM shortage the code should catch the outOfMemoryExeption and put a save failed notification in a toast (which I probably wouldn't see because I keep notifications off for terraria otherwise it crashes immediately)
Hmm, 512 GB of RAM is ridiculously unlikely in a mobile device. Even home computers don't run that kind of hardware. More likely you have 512MB of RAM, which is about half of what you need for Terraria on mobile, and would go a long way towards explaining your crashing issues. Background apps like YouTube or a phone call immediately crashing the app points me in that direction too. Sounds like your device is not as powerful as it's reporting to be, and can't really run the game.

As for the OS not catching the crash errors, not sure what that means. Could be some devices hide that stuff from users so as to not confuse them.

I typed "mb" and instead of correcting to "MB" it corrected to "GB" really auto correct really
Also email notifications don't crash me
And I recently tried (and failed) to create an app to backup my worlds and was surprised to find that terraria is written in Java I've beard so many times that c++ is more efficient so maybe if they do the rewrite in c++ more devices will be able to handle it I know mcpe is written in c++ and it runs just fine (except when the devs break something during the betas) also as I said they should just catch the outOfMemoryExeption on the save task and display a toast that's what I'm going to do in the survival game I've been making (learning from someone else's mistakes) and I also had to do that for my file compressor because anything over 100 GB would crash because it has quite a few stages and each one has a variable derived from the original file data

Edit

All of a sudden it has started crashing within 10 seconds of opening I've only been able to even get into a world once today before it crashed and that was because I went to it really quickly it is acting like it did before I turned off notifications except without any lag I checked and there still off also tried clearing cache and force stopping (used to increase time before crashing when it started to get unstable) I've never seen an app just stop working like this without an update any suggestions other than resetting the app data I am so close to fighting the wall of flesh and something always forces me to restart before I get to that point I just want to enter hardmode for once

Edit

It appears that Terraria isn't the only app having trouble I think something is killing my ram

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter what happens, your problems with Terraria are not going to get any better with that device. Currently the game needs 1GB of ram on mobile, it's not just a recommendation. You obviously don't have that, so the crashing and erratic behavior isn't going to get any better. Rewriting the mobile version isn't going to help you either since when they release that it's going to require even more RAM than it does now. I'd say you're looking at a hardware upgrade if you want things to get any better.

I was going to upgrade to a tablet for gaming a few months ago but couldn't find anything newer than Android 4 that wasn't ludicrously expensive because apparently tablets are dying as phones get better

I was going to upgrade to a tablet for gaming a few months ago but couldn't find anything newer than Android 4 that wasn't ludicrously expensive because apparently tablets are dying as phones get better
Do you not live in America? There are many new tablets I can find for under $100 here, so your problem seems strange to me.

so i have a a question about the inventory and how they will fit all the new slots for pets, grappling hooks, mounts and if they will finally have dye slots for accsessory's

so i have a a question about the inventory and how they will fit all the new slots for pets, grappling hooks, mounts and if they will finally have dye slots for accsessory's
I play on the PC version with a Dual Shock 4 (thanks Steam!) and the UI works fine for the most part. I'd assume they are planning to use all the same controller functions and UI the PC version currently has, so the console specific UI we have now with multiple pages is probably going away.

So... what about the 3DS version?

Comment got buried so I'll put it here instead :) Rage on.

So, there's to be no rewrite of the 3DS or Wii U versions. Couldn't you have gotten someone a bit more competent than CodeGlue to have made the 3DS version? =/ We're just supposed to be content with build mode. Yay. Build mode... yay... eugh.

Nintendo users pay more than everyone else to get less than everyone else. It's a bit of a joke really. It doesn't even work half the time.

So I'm to assume that if RAM's the problem, and a 3DS doesn't have even as much as a PS Vita, then we're not even going to be on par with where the Vita version is. We'll get a few more items here and there. Woop! We're not ever going to get our Online Multiplayer or larger worlds, are we? Meh. You're never going to make use of the New 3DS' extra RAM, are you? Meh!

'Most people that play on 3DS have an old 3DS - so we want to optimize the game for that system!'

'Most people that play Xbox have a 360 - but we're going to make the game better on Xbox One!' Alllllllllllllrighty then.

Judging by how closely they're working with Sony & Microsoft I wouldn't be remotely surprised if this was a little deal to try to get people to upgrade!

Prediction - we'll continue to get bug fixes for 3DS (that ironically introduce more bugs), until CodeGlue's contract is up, then we'll get one final 'have some summons' or something farewell update, then, again, RAM being cited as the issue for no online multiplayer or larger worlds. Forgotten about.

I know, I know. I'm like a broken record. But somebody needs to fight for justice here!

Kid, your software sucks so u can't update it duhhh!

Found another red and blue object in the sky it's a little different than the last one and when I broke the block above its center it moved up like an NPC banner also it was essentially directly above the angler in the loot world I found it in
Screenshot_2016-12-30-10-19-40.png

Found another red and blue object in the sky it's a little different than the last one and when I broke the block above its center it moved up like an NPC banner also it was essentially directly above the angler in the loot world I found it inView attachment 153350
Yes, that is a flag that appears on mobile above where the sleeping Angler is. Normally you don't see it, but when the sleeping Angler happens to be underneath a Floating Island, the flag is visible (instead of being all the way up beyond Space where you can't see it).

I discovered something weird
My character causes the game to crash allot lately but if I play on a backup (even one I just made) it works fine no idea why but I'm just going to use a backup because it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom