Story The Silver Sword

Artie

King Slime
The following is a translation of a manuscript I found on one of my recent expeditions in Europe.
It's titled "the Silver Sword", and it's date of creation is unknown.
Hope you enjoy the ride.

The Silver Sword

index.php

So... you got here!
Do you like the story so far? Tell me in the comments!

Oh, and this awesome sword sprite was made by @Pirtz . If you like it, go check out his sprite thread.

Last edited:
The Silver Sword
Prologue

The slime jumped it's way through the gloomy forest.
On it's back sat Bill, a young man of 18 years, piercing green eyes and short black hair.

Bill took out his silver sword, enjoying the almost silken sound it made when it left it's scabbard.
They were getting close to Badlands after all, and he needed to prepare.

It was hard to believe that just a few days ago he's been searching for dayblooms and fishing in the nearby lake. Now he was on his way to the City, to see the King and hopefully join the Royal Guard.

His mind once again wandered to what his father told him the other day...

index.php

Last edited:
The Silver Sword
Chapter 1

They were sitting in the dining room - which also served as the kitchen and the living room.
Bill looked at his father, an older man with a short brown beard and deep blue eyes.

"Son-" his father was saying, "I have nothing to offer you before you travel to the city, except some advice..." he hesitated for a moment,
"And this."
He took out a gleaming sword.

"But... Father, that's your sword! I can't take it!"
Cried Bill in astonishment. Afterall, this was the silver broadsword, the one his father used to slay the vile Eye, years ago. The very thought of wielding it made Bill giddy with excitement.

"I want you to have it."
His father said. "It's not much use to me anyway, not with this leg-" he pointed at his peg leg.

"Now on to advice:
be very careful on your way to the City. Ride the slime - it's senses will alert you of any near danger. The saddle's in my bedroom." He paused for a moment.
"When you get there, ask to see the King.
The Guards should let you in when you say my name - I've fought on our monarch's side in the battle of Terra. He should remember me."
The next words came with a smile-
"And Bill? Whatever you do, remember you are my son, and I love you"

"I love you too, father." replied Bill. They hugged each other, and he went to prepare for the long journey.

index.php

Last edited:
The Silver Sword
Chapter 2

Badlands.
Darkened grass, foul flowers and dead, purple trees. Gaping holes on the surface that open up to deep, long tunnels. Flying beasts of rotten flesh with only one eye and lots of crooked teeth. Gigantic worms.

Bill was standing on the edge of the green forest, looking in the direction of the purple one. Unfortunately, this was the only way to the City. Still unsure, Bill understood he had no choice but to enter this barren wasteland.

He looked at the blue sky. It was late morning, the sun still hasn't reached it's highest point. Good. Plenty of time till nightfall. With a bit of luck, he could exit Badlands by evening.

Reassured, Bill unsheathed his sword, mounted his slime, and jumped on.

index.php

This is an interested story so far! It's like one an old rpg game that I would play :D I will make sure to read the rest later! Good work!

The Silver Sword
Chapter 3

Bill swung his sword in a wide arc, just barely deflecting the creature's sharp teeth.

He's been peacefully riding through the moss-covered, purple coloured forest of Badlands for about an hour before the creature attacked.
Bill would be dead now if it weren't for his slime's quick warning and his own reflexes.
He recognized the beast as an 'eater'; His father had once said they were one of the most common, and deadly, monsters found in Badlands.
It had only one eye, and smelled of blood and rotten flesh. It's teeth were the size of Bill's thumbs.

Bill ducked under a blow strong enough to behead him. He thrust his sword, and felt it cutting through the sticky substance that substituted the beast's skin.

The Eater howled. It backed up a little, and Bill was able to see how much damage he'd caused. A long, deep cut close to the mouth. Good. Than the creature charged and Bill was forced to frantically dodge it's attacks. Suddenly he felt a searing pain in his left arm. The beast bit him! Enraged, he thrust his sword again, aiming for the eye - and was rewarded with a dead Eater lying at his feet. A straight, deep cut through the iris.

Bill tended to his arm. It didn't look good - he could see the bright red flesh. He bandaged it as well as he could.
He was just cleaning his sword from the sticky substance when he blacked out.

index.php

Last edited:
The Silver Sword
Chapter 4

Bill opened his eyes.
The room itself was small; It consisted of two chairs, a table, a bed, and one window. He was lying on the bed, covers drawn
tightly around him.

The last thing he remembered was killing the Eater. Then he must have fainted, possibly from exhaustion, blood loss, or poison from
the Eater's fangs. He looked at his arm, curious. It was cleaned, newly-bandaged, and didn't hurt nearly so much as it did before.
But who could have cleaned it?

Suddenly, the wooden door opened, and a pretty girl entered.
"Oh, so you've woken up! I have to tell daddy!" She smiled, and left before he could say anything.
A moment later she came back, accompanied by a large, bear-like man
with black beard and long black hair.
"You woke up, haven't you, lad" He muttered, "How is your arm?"

"Umm... Good, sir. Could you maybe tell me where am I?"
"You're deep in the heart of Badlands, boy" Chuckled the man.
"We've found you a few hundred yards from here, unconscious and bloody, so I've brought you in, and my little Jane-"
He gestured at the girl "patched you up."

"Thank you, sir, and you, m'lady" Bill looked at the girl, and was again stricken by how lovely she was.
She had long, flowing brown hair, full lips and eyes the color of chocolate. She looked about his age.

"Nonsense;" Said the large man, "Anyone would do that. Now, I suspect you're hungry.
Let us go to the kitchen, we'll give you something to eat, and you will tell us something about yourself in return. What do you think?"
"Great; I'm starving" Smiled Bill.

index.php

Last edited:
This is a pretty rad story. You have a writing style that works really well for it, too.

I'll be keeping an eye on this.

The Silver Sword
Chapter 5

After a huge breakfast Bill felt much better. He examined his wounded arm, and was pleased to find it
much better and healing. It was no longer tinted green, and the swelling was gone.

He told Bronson, Jane's father, and Jane herself his story. They were the perfect audience, the older
man grumbling as Bill mentioned the Eater, and Jane gasping and actually crying out when he described the fight.
He was just about to explain how exactly he killed the beast when Bronson raised his hand-
"Hold on... You said you cut the monster near the mouth, right?" He asked,
"Could I see your sword for a second?"
After a moment's thought, Bill reluctantly took out his silver broadsword, and handed it to the man.

"I saw it before, of course, when we found you. But I didn't take it out of it's scabbard.
It's silver, isn't it? Real silver?"
"Yes, it is. What about it?" Said Bill, bewildered.
"I thought silver swords are pretty common."

"No, no they aren't." Muttered Bronson.
"It's actually the second sword made of silver I've seen in my whole life.
Always keep it with you, boy, and easy to reach. Silver is one of the few ores
good for humans and monsters alike."

After Bill finished his story, the three sat down to dinner. It was composed of vegetarian food only,
because, as Jane explained, the only meat source nearby were the monsters.
"No human being in it's right mind would ever want to try the Eater's meat" She said with a smile.
"Fortunately, we can still catch fishes and grow edible plants."
They ate roasted dayblooms and cooked ebonkoi, and pumpkin pie for dessert. Feeling pleasantly
full, Bill excused himself and went to take a nap.

index.php

Hello.
I'm back! Already posted a new chapter :happy:
( more Badlands, stories and Jane)
Hope you like it.
As to my short disappearance, let me just say, if I could have
avoided it, I would avoid it.
Maybe someone would like to subscribe to this story?
'Cause I don't know who should I tag/ if I should tag anyone
when a new chapter comes out.

The Silver Sword
Chapter 6, Part 1

A Week Passed

Bill was woken by the sound of a door opening. He caught his sword in one hand, looked at the newcomer, and was suprised to see Jane, her eyes wide.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." He said, putting his sword away.

He looked out of the window; The sky was still dark.
What was she doing at such an early hour?

"No, it's my fault. I shouldn't sneak into your rooms." She smiled her pretty smile.
"But now I guess it's too late. Can we talk?"

"Of course. What would you like to talk about?"
"You said you were going to the City, right?" She asked, and Bill nodded.
She looked at him hopefully-
"Could you take me with you?"

Now that was sudden.
If it had been an ordinary girl, Bill would think it was just a young girl's fancy; but he knew Jane to be intelligent and thoughtful. If she told him she wants to go to the City, she was absolutely sure of it. Still, there was only one answer to her question.

"Jane..." Bill looked at her,
"You know I can't. Your father needs you here, with him. Besides, you only know me for a week."

"Oh, you're just like dad." Bill was suprised to see tears brimming her eyes.
"I'm old enough. I can get by on the road"

"Jane, it's not-"
Cutting him off, Jane turned away and walked out.

":red:." thought Bill

index.php

---
@Treesmasher
---

Last edited:
The Silver Sword,
Chapter 6, Part 2

After that he didn't really feel like going back to sleep. He just lay on his bed, eyes open, and waited for the time he could go downstairs for breakfast.

When the first few rays of sun started peeking through the morning clouds he stood up, stretched, and decided he could no longer stand the silence. He came down the stairs, hoping against hope Jane would be there, smiling and waiting for him to come down, just as she did for the last couple of days. She wasn't.

Bronson sat by the fireplace, holding a steaming mug. He handed Bill another one, raised an eyebrow, and smiled.

"Judging by the lack of Jane, I guess she finally asked you." He asked, knowingly.
"She did."
"And you turned her down."

"I told her it's more important for her to stay with you." Replied Bill,
"I thought you would agree with me."

"I would, after the first twenty times she asked. But then I realised how important it is for her. I guess I have been keeping Jane in a sort of cage - not letting her out of my sight for fear that something might happen to my only daughter. I have reasons, you know, for living so alone. Old enemies in the long-forgotten past. But I shouldn't let that fear settle onto my Jane."

"So... You think she could come with me?" Asked Bill, bewildered.
"If you promise to keep her safe." Said Bronson, and smiled once again.

index.php
---
@Treesmasher
---

Ahh... Good to be back. Quite a lot has changed since I last updated the thread some two weeks ago.
With the story slowly gaining pace, writing chapters is becoming a lot easier.
As to chapter 7, all I can say for now is that Bill will finally leave Bronson's hut. Oh, and as always, expect some more interesting adventures.

Back
Top Bottom