NPCs & Enemies The Terraria Endgame really needs some work.

Aemilius

Terrarian
IMO the biggest problem with the game now is trying to clear Moonlord on Mastermode. At the moment to fight him you need to clear both cultists and pillars*. In mastermode this can easily take upwards of an hour as you repeatedly die to the pillars, wait the 15 seconds to respawn, then run back over to repeat the process. With some pillar enemies hitting for over 300 damage, you have no choice but to throw repeat this process over and over again until you eventually clear them. Inherently this isn't that bad if you only had to do it once, but doing this only allows you to fight the moonlord once, and drops enough resources to fight in another 2 times (assuming you use almost all your fragments on sigils). No other boss in the game requires such a long time commitment to fight, and has a summon item that is crafted using the drops of another boss/boss-level event. Not to mention this event being at the end of the game, means there's no meaningful gear improvments to make this much faster.

Can you please either reduce the crafting cost on sigil to 1 of each fragment (or literally anything but than items that can only be obtained from the pillars), or make it so you only have to do the full pillar event once? Maybe reduce the enemy kill for every pillar once its been killed, and/or permanently get rid of shields if moon lord has been killed?

The current state just isn't fun. You can't lose (the pillars never heal) so it isn't hard, its just boring and a slog. Its already driven multiple people away from the server I play on, and I myself feel less and less interested in playing knowing I'm gonna have to do the pillars again just to attempt moonlord. The game is amazing, so there's no reason for the ending to be such a huge departure from the rest of it.

There's no reason it should take so many fragments to summon him, it's an awful and pointless grind and I can't believe they let 1.4 drop without removing the gatekeeping to fighting Moonlord again (especially since the boss is more unfair than ever thanks to his phantasmal "follows you even if you teleport" ray)

I was maybe thinking something like the celestial sigil be a infinite consumable but I agree with you. It is annoying, having to fight and die over and over again until you can fight the moon lord

The endgame is fine, imo. ML is boring only once you know how to fight him - but aren't all bosses boring once you've fought them like 10 times?
IMO the problem itself is in Master Mode. It's a glorified slog of a mode that just cranks up the numbers while offering absolutely nothing else to the table. There are no useful items to get (well, just 2 are good), there are no AI changes. Master Mode just takes Expert mode and extends it into a longer experience with almost no reward for increased risk. It's a high risk-no reward mode, which could be played just fine with self-imposed challenges in Expert. Just don't play Master mode and you'll be fine.

This response isn't useful or relevant to this thread. If you've nothing to contribute, it's best to not day anything, thanks.
Uhhh... This thread is about Moon Lord. This is his opinion on Moon Lord. I don't know if you're expecting every comment on the thread to be an exquisite, detailed, dainty post with a minimum of 3 paragraphs and 5 points for pros and cons each, but your post sure is a knee-jerk reaction if you ask me.

The endgame is fine, imo. ML is boring only once you know how to fight him - but aren't all bosses boring once you've fought them like 10 times?
IMO the problem itself is in Master Mode. It's a glorified slog of a mode that just cranks up the numbers while offering absolutely nothing else to the table. There are no useful items to get (well, just 2 are good), there are no AI changes. Master Mode just takes Expert mode and extends it into a longer experience with almost no reward for increased risk. It's a high risk-no reward mode, which could be played just fine with self-imposed challenges in Expert. Just don't play Master mode and you'll be fine.

I could see that. Personally I didn't mind it except for the first night. We (myself and 3 friends) all beat the game multiple times, so we found it useful for the added challenge. And it reduced how much we could cheese it.

Uhhh... This thread is about Moon Lord. This is his opinion on Moon Lord. I don't know if you're expecting every comment on the thread to be an exquisite, detailed, dainty post with a minimum of 3 paragraphs and 5 points for pros and cons each, but your post sure is a knee-jerk reaction if you ask me.

This thread is specifically about summoning the Moon Lord. I primarily think the mechanics around summoning the moon lord should be fixed/tweaked. Not the moon lord themselves.

It's not about Moonlord himself, it's about the 'grind' of getting the materials to summon him or playing through the lunar events. Because of this it is off-topic, like this discussion. If you wish to continue it, feel free to send me a DM but it shouldn't be continued here.

I feel like people try to fight the pillar as they are just some event like the pirate invasion, which they clearly aren't. You gotta prepare for the fight, understand the patterns and enemies so you can effectively defeat them.
I had this exactly problem you described but got around it by making arenas where the pillars spawn, placing down campfires, heart lanters, sunflowers, bast statues and banners from the pillars enemies, all at the very edge of the pillar range, so you can always retreat if you are getting overwhelmed by them. I defeated them so many times I actually had more than four banners from most enemies, so I could leave them on all pillar arenas. Using some buffs helps a lot too!
That said, I still hate that one enemy from the solar pillar that can deflect bullets and arrows, by far the main cause of my deaths.

The Pillers Are Just Annoying

The Moon Lord Is Too Boring And Hard

His Theme Gets Old When You Fight Him The 1,000,000th Time

The Whole EndGame Is Boring Is What Im Saying

The Pillers Are Just Annoying

The Moon Lord Is Too Boring And Hard

His Theme Gets Old When You Fight Him The 1,000,000th Time

The Whole EndGame Is Boring Is What Im Saying
Everything, literally everything gets boring if you do it "1,000,000" times.
A game is bound to end at some point. You then either do something that gives you fun or you move on to different things.
You simply cannot expect to have fun from the "End".
Someone smart said one: "The road is the goal". If you reach the goal, you're done.

Everything, literally everything gets boring if you do it "1,000,000" times.
A game is bound to end at some point. You then either do something that gives you fun or you move on to different things.
You simply cannot expect to have fun from the "End".
Someone smart said one: "The road is the goal". If you reach the goal, you're done.
The problem is the pillars and moonlord are both fairly boring and annoying the first time you encounter them. There's simply too many wide-range swarm attacks involved in each to feel fair, with not enough predictable tells like the Empress.

Last edited:
They do have plenty of issues as the original post outlined, but honestly, another problem for me is the obscene power creep. The damage the pillar enemies deal, especially on Expert and Master, makes everything more annoying than challenging to fight with everything destroying you in 2 hits, and the weapons you get from the pillars are strong enough to make basically every other weapon you worked hard for before completely obsolete after you've killed as much as a single pillar. And there being essentially no lose condition, the challenge to get them is removed completely unless you're playing a challenge character, and is replaced with extremely boring grinding.

It would honestly be much better progression-wise if the Pillars gear AND the Pillars weapons were to be placed roughly at the same tier as the Martian Invasion/Duke Fishron, with respective nerfs to Moon Lord's health to accomodate. That way the pillars' enemies would be way less annoying to deal with, and the pillars weapons wouldn't outclass everything you've gotten before.

In regards to being forced to grind them over and over just to get attempts at moonlord... I honestly don't understand why is it that hard to just make the Celestial Sigil non-consumable, especially for a boss this hard.

• Love
Reactions: Bry
Back
Top Bottom