PC This will protect me from corruption and hallow Right?

yusdacra

Steampunker
Hello everyone, i wanna ask a question. I started hardmode and forgot to make a protecting thing from hallow and corruption. So, i need to dig 5 wide trenches (Sorry if i wrote wrong) and fill them with wood right? Check it for me please. I used wood and some snow bricks.

20161208214222_1.jpg

You can see it there. Please answer fast. Thanks.

This likely will work, Corruption/Hallow cannot spread through those blocks at this thickness, so you'll be fine.

Although, living at such a small patch of peace seems a little uneasy for me. Enemies from those biomes might still be able to spawn during a blood moon, once the biome has reached that border.

If you have the time and patience you could also make said 5 wide holes all the way down to hell and fill them with wood to section of the spread of hallow and/or corruption even further.

5 block wide hellevators are what I use. No need to fill or line them with wood though. With one small exception: Both Crimson and Corruption can generate thorns that can grow over the gaps and spread to the other side. I don't know for sure how long or how far the thorns can grow. But making sure there is no grass within about 10 blocks of your hellevator should be sufficient. You can replace the grass/dirt with wood or clay. (Thorns only grow off grass.)

Hello everyone, i wanna ask a question. I started hardmode and forgot to make a protecting thing from hallow and corruption. So, i need to dig 5 wide trenches (Sorry if i wrote wrong) and fill them with wood right? Check it for me please. I used wood and some snow bricks.

View attachment 151092
You can see it there. Please answer fast. Thanks.

I will make my sky-base a bit high then. And i have time to making trenches more large so i will do it. And can i do hellevators with bombs?

I will make my sky-base a bit high then. And i have time to making trenches more large so i will do it. And can i do hellevators with bombs?

Yes, but you might run into problems when you get down into lava. I believe your best bet would be to dig 6 wide trenches per your original design, and then line the outside with wood. That way you have access to a tunnel you can check to make sure it's not spreading.

Generally, it is a good thing to build a sort of mid-air base from the beginning of the game... that way, late game, you wont have to worry too much about any form of "Unfortunate fatal incidents"...

However, as previously mentioned, during a blood moon (or any event really) the chances that enemies can still get to your base is higher...
One of the ways to fix this, is build your hellevators at least 100 blocks away from your base (on both sides) and use the clentaminator to spread any biome you want anywhere... (provided you have the correct ammo and determination)
[doublepost=1481261324,1481261238][/doublepost]
Generally, it is a good thing to build a sort of mid-air base from the beginning of the game... that way, late game, you wont have to worry too much about any form of "Unfortunate fatal incidents"...

However, as previously mentioned, during a blood moon (or any event really) the chances that enemies can still get to your base is higher...
One of the ways to fix this, is build your hellevators at least 100 blocks away from your base (on both sides) and use the clentaminator to spread any biome you want anywhere... (provided you have the correct ammo and determination)
Also depending on how determined you are with bombs, you might actually succeed, i remember doing it with bombs a few times myself, its all just by chance though...

Well, once you know how to handle the Hallow mobs, you should actually let it go spread so the Corruption can't take over the blocks that your Hallow could. I did this and I contained my Corruption line (made by defeating the WOF) to the Snow Biome. But in middle hardmode, when I got the Clentaminator, I spread the Hallow across my whole world. Don't do this if it blocks NPC spawns; I haven't tested this yet.

But if you don't want Hallow on your little piece of land then just make it infect the world around it; because I think you would rather have Hallow then Corruption on the Surface.

If you have any questions, ask.

Well, once you know how to handle the Hallow mobs, you should actually let it go spread so the Corruption can't take over the blocks that your Hallow could. I did this and I contained my Corruption line (made by defeating the WOF) to the Snow Biome. But in middle hardmode, when I got the Clentaminator, I spread the Hallow across my whole world. Don't do this if it blocks NPC spawns; I haven't tested this yet.

But if you don't want Hallow on your little piece of land then just make it infect the world around it; because I think you would rather have Hallow then Corruption on the Surface.

If you have any questions, ask.

Fair point, but i never really experimented with altering the worlds biomes too much on any world that I've created before so i actually don't have too much to say about it... rather a question about it from me is what grand difference does it make in the end that is better/worse than just leaving it?

So, i made it this way.

20161209202410_1.jpg

I think that Corruption won't be able to spread over snow, am i Right? Made some tests with bombs, i can actually do the hellevators when i get enough gel. Hallow is %6 now and Corruption %14. When i started hardmode corruption was %13 so i taked a look at it and i think it spread in the underground. The Hallow taked over some of my deserts. Here is some pictures.
20161209203224_1.jpg

Hallow spread over desert.
20161209203236_1.jpg

Underground Corruption.
20161209203303_1.jpg

And this is Underground Snow Biome. It lasts to Underworld and i think Corruption can't take over it.
20161209203648_1.jpg
Hallow spreading on Jungle. Really slow (Right?) But i will need Jungle seeds imma get it. Bye!

I have two possible concerns about the defense in the first picture. 1. It's not very big. If corruption spreads right up to the border, it may already be too close to your NPCs' houses. 2. On the left, it may be just possible for a thorny bush to reach over a spread corruption past that barrier.

The Hallow can't change Jungle blocks, so again, it would be beneficial to have Hallow spread around it.

Fair point, but i never really experimented with altering the worlds biomes too much on any world that I've created before so i actually don't have too much to say about it... rather a question about it from me is what grand difference does it make in the end that is better/worse than just leaving it?

Well, I'm just saying that the Corruption can spread into areas you haven't even explored yet and it can attack you from behind, metaphorically. And by endgame you will eventually have (if you didn't do anything about your Disease) around 30% Crimson/Corruption in your world.

But when you get the Steampunker, @FocusOnMana, you should really buy some Green Solution and clear out both Corruption and Hallow if you still want a Desert. Like I said to Quake, the Corruption can sneak up from behind and take over your snow biome depending on how many altars you smashed. BTW, how many altars have you smashed?

My best bet for this is to line the surface and 5 blocks down with bricks or a block that can't be changed for about 20 or so blocks, preventing thorns and grass from reaching your base. Also, be careful that NPC's WILL move out of homes if the Corruption/Crimson gets within 50 blocks of their house. So watch out for that. Or do what I usually do, which is build a rope up 50 or so blocks from the surface and then build my base up there with a campfire and 2 tiki torches on the bottom, therefore eliminating the problem of NPC's leaving you. But to preserve biomes? Either section off the biome with the tunnel, or make floating islands with the biome(s).

As he said, depending on how many altars you have smashed you could get a lot more corruption/crimson then you expect. A simple way around this to never have to smash a altar is just to fish up brown, metal, and gold crates. Opening them can get you the 3 starter hardmode ores/bars allowing you to just skip smashing altars all together.

It should also stop the 3 first mecha hardmode bosses from spawning randomly allowing you to fight them on your own terms.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong person, removed it from my post.

Last edited:
The Hallow can't change Jungle blocks, so again, it would be beneficial to have Hallow spread around it.

Well, I'm just saying that the Corruption can spread into areas you haven't even explored yet and it can attack you from behind, metaphorically. And by endgame you will eventually have (if you didn't do anything about your Disease) around 30% Crimson/Corruption in your world.

But when you get the Steampunker, @FocusOnMana, you should really buy some Green Solution and clear out both Corruption and Hallow if you still want a Desert. Like I said to Quake, the Corruption can sneak up from behind and take over your snow biome depending on how many altars you smashed. BTW, how many altars have you smashed?

I smashed 3 altars now. But, i have another plans. Maybe living in Hallow? Can NPC's will come to Hallow? If can:
A flying base in hallow? I know that blood moon will make it hard but i think i can handle it, it's not very hard if i can make lava pits and some traps (which i can). And corruption can't take over it. Plus, i have too much time, Hallow spreads through me like HELL FAST , but that means corruption will spread some time and stop (Pls no corruption in jungle). And so i will get benefits, Hallow is colorful, more deadly but better. So if you think my theories are true i will make it. Bye!

I smashed 3 altars now. But, i have another plans. Maybe living in Hallow? Can NPC's will come to Hallow? If can:
A flying base in hallow? I know that blood moon will make it hard but i think i can handle it, it's not very hard if i can make lava pits and some traps (which i can). And corruption can't take over it. Plus, i have too much time, Hallow spreads through me like HELL FAST , but that means corruption will spread some time and stop (Pls no corruption in jungle). And so i will get benefits, Hallow is colorful, more deadly but better. So if you think my theories are true i will make it. Bye!
Well, when I had Hallow around my base my NPCs wouldn't move into the houses, but that was before the Console 1.8 update and IDK if it matters. I'm letting Hallow spread to my house (the mobs are like blue slimes now that I'm end-game) so the Corruption can't. The Corruption was pretty close to my house, which scared me.

If you make a base in the sky you can place background walls and then the mobs won't spawn, so the Blood Moon won't matter. As for the Solar Ecplise... Those mobs spawn anywhere, so you won't be safe (just stay away from your NPCs on any Event because I'm not sure if Blood Moon enemies can spawn anywhere, either).

As for the Corrupt Jungle. I have my Jungle right next to the Corruption, and it slowly spread into a small part of the Jungle, but that will only take over the Jungle completely if I leave my console on for 16 years or something.

Also, if you have Hallow next to your house the enemies have useful drops (i.e Blessed Apple, Hallowed Key(mold for others), Unicorn Head...) that you can sell for lots of money if you want to.

Letting the Hallow spread is actually a very good thing, maybe you can place a bunch of pearlstone blocks around the corruption and prevent it from spreading? That would take a lot time without using the clemtaminator and blue solution tho.

I think that Corruption won't be able to spread over snow, am i Right?
Crimson / Corruption / Hallow cannot spread through:
  • Bare dirt
  • Snow
  • Ash
  • Clay
  • Ore
  • Any wood
  • Any brick-type of block (including e.g. Demonite Bricks and Flesh Blocks)
They can spread through:
  • Any grass (note a distinction between bare dirt and grassy dirt)
  • Any sand / sandstone
  • Ice
  • Stone
  • Mud (except for Hallow)
I notice in some of your screenshots that you have horizontal tunnels. While the gap still works for horizontal tunnels, keep in mind that Hallow and Crimson can grow vines hanging off the roof and the vines can further spread the biome. Fortunately the fix is quite easy: you can remove the grass off the roof since vines only grow off grass. After removing the grass, a couple of clay blocks will prevent the grass from regrowing since grass can't jump gaps.

The corruption can't spread thru mud, it converts it into dirt (by draining the water in it I guess) and then corrupts it, so it takes 2x as long I think to do that.

The corruption can't spread thru mud, it converts it into dirt (by draining the water in it I guess) and then corrupts it, so it takes 2x as long I think to do that.
I was keeping things simple. :)
But yes, you are correct. Crimson/Corruption converts to dirt and then it can spread through grass as it normally spreads. Jungle thorns can also be converted, and for the Crimson, so too can Jungle vines. The thorns and vines mean that what started as a small infection can rapidly spread.

To be thorough, Chlorophyte can repel / protect against it, but that's not a strategy to rely upon. I doubt anyone has ever done this seriously.

Back
Top Bottom