Thoughts On The Coingun? + Twins Kill in 15 seconds with no Buffs on a Blood Moon

Do you like the Coin Gun?

• No, It's too overpowered

• Yes, it's really overpowered!

• No, it's useless unless you're really rich.

• It's ok...

• I've never used it before...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Original

Eye of Cthulhu
I have recently discovered the Coin Gun, after acquiring it on my ranger playthrough. I had heard of it's power, but never tried it myself, as I am a single-player kind of person, so going on to mulitplayer servers and spawning it in isn't much of an option, unless I'm bored. Whilst farming the Pirate Invasion for gold, I (extremely luckily) found myself with a Coin Gun. I decided to try it out, but within 5 minutes of killing enemies, my bank was almost depleted. (I loaded it with gold coins) I did notice the immense power behind it, though, so I decided to go on a server and give myself around 11000 platinum coins, and a Rapid Coin Gun. What resulted was a half-arsed speedkill. Even without much effort or aiming, no buffs, and the fact it was a blood moon, I managed to kill the Twins in 15 seconds. (15.6 to be precise) In my opinion, the Coin Gun is actually unbalanced (for it's drop chance, at least) If you loaded it with platinum coins, 1 twins kill would probably get rid of your entire balance. (As long as you didn't spawn in masses of amounts like me) So what do you guys think about the Coin Gun?

I really enjoy the coin gun, sure it is really powerful but if you were able to load it up with platinum coins then you could get a bunny cannon and cause a massive amount of damage that way.

The Coin Gun is magnificent for just messing around, and is great if you obtain lots of money (for whatever reason). However, it's basically trading huge power for a big, debilitating issue: it makes you poor as hell. Basically, there are much better options available unless you're going for gold or platinum.

Another problem is that rangers in particular tend to rely a lot on money, given that most ammo is purchased.

I have personally never used the Coin Gun for serious, and I/be only obtained two (I believe they're rarer than keymolds).

Alternatively, you could essentially grab a megashark and crystal bullets, facetank the Twins with a hook, and kill them in a slightly slower speedkill without wasting tons and tons of platinum.

That being said, gathering said components to be able to kill the twins costs considerably less than the amount of platinum coins you've expended shooting the twins. Include the average time it takes to take the coin gun, and you got yourself a waste of time and effort.

Yes, it's indeed powerful, but what even is the point of obtaining that much power when it's clearly not worth expending all your resources with?

Last edited:
Cheating next to unobtainable resources to achieve a simple speedkill is now unbalanced.

If you legitly have that many resources to spend in such a wasteful way, you honestly deserve such extra power.

This may not be 15.6 seconds, but it sure didn't cost 50+ platinum.

bd4b582b0d.gif

My stopwatch is a bit messed up, and I started and stopped it manually, so it won't be entirely accurate.

I think the coin gun is an awful weapon that's nigh useless to legitimate players and amazing for coin dupers... I really don't get the point of it existing whatsoever (how its currently implemented).

This may not be 15.6 seconds, but it sure didn't cost 50+ platinum.

bd4b582b0d.gif

I think top priority of 1.3 should be the changing of "has" to "have" for messages concerning the twins.

I think the coin gun is an awful weapon that's nigh useless to legitimate players and amazing for coin dupers... I really don't get the point of it existing whatsoever (how its currently implemented).

I think top priority of 1.3 should be the changing of "has" to "have" for messages concerning the twins.
And changing the way that some tools handle Prefixes so things like "Legendary The Axe" don't happen.

On topic, I've never even encountered one, let alone used one, but I know the basic concept, and how unbelievably wasteful it is. I know that it's balanced for the large amount of damage that a single Platinum coin does, but you have to remember that the previously mentioned ammo is a Platinum Coin. I know that it's not too hard for some people to get, especially with money farms, but for people like me who like Terraria for the adventuring aspect (and getting to stab large plants in a region that could be considered their face), that's not a very fun way to spend time.

Plus, in that one shot with a Platinum coin, you deal 200 damage, which you could also do with a Megashark and some higher-tier bullets (Chlorophyte, Cured Flame, Ichor, Venom) in a slightly longer time. Plus, you might not use the bullets that dealt that 200 damage with the Megashark, since it's a 50/50 chance as to whether or not a bullet is consumed with the Megashark, just on its own. Add in potions, ammo boxes, and specific armor sets, and you have a pretty high chance to not use a bullet.

It actually takes 5-6x longer for chlorophyte/cursed flame/ichor/venom to deal as much damage as a platinum coin-loaded Coin Gun. I don't think I consider that as 'slightly longer' [Whereas it takes merely 3-4x longer with crystal bullets, which you didn't mention at all in the higher-tier bullets].

OP still has a point in the coin gun being unbelievably overpowered once you have the right amount of platinum tho, however difficult it may be to achieve. A coin gun has the strength in which it can kill things considerably faster than almost anything ever [With the exception to a lot of the endgame weapons, such as Tsunami]. Enemies can't kill you if they barely have enough time and health pool to survive an endless barrage of coins from a coin gun [unless they're extremely hard hitting, such as Ice Queen].

But of course, if you've taken so much time to obtaining that much money simply to progress through tiers, then advancement is well deserved... so is your momentary empty pockethood.

In my mind, I see the best way of using the coin gun is to make a bunch of copper coins from silver, then just use those. You're saving money and still dishing out over 200 DPS

In my opinion, the Coin Gun is actually unbalanced

...When you bring in a tonne of platinum coins illegitimately.

Balance loses all of its ground with these topics as soon as you mention using illegitimate methods. I mean, sure, you could farm for a good hundred or so for a nice speed-kill, but that's a whole lot of nothing for a little bit of something. Kills against the mechanical being this fast is nothing new; try a Tactical Shotgun with Shroomite and Crystal bullets with a maxed out DPS build. You end up 1-shotting the EoC.

Coin gun with gold coins is still expensive and out-classed by other weapons (100 damage per shot in comparison to Megashark with Crystal bullets), so it's still not overpowered there.

I've always considered the Coin Gun a bad example of balance, in that players can use it to great ends - provided they cheat or sacrifice much money.

Yes, because the coin gun is very unbalanced when you cheat in a coin that you're generally only supposed to have thirty of on average.

...When you bring in a tonne of platinum coins illegitimately.

Balance loses all of its ground with these topics as soon as you mention using illegitimate methods. I mean, sure, you could farm for a good hundred or so for a nice speed-kill, but that's a whole lot of nothing for a little bit of something. Kills against the mechanical being this fast is nothing new; try a Tactical Shotgun with Shroomite and Crystal bullets with a maxed out DPS build. You end up 1-shotting the EoC.

Coin gun with gold coins is still expensive and out-classed by other weapons (100 damage per shot in comparison to Megashark with Crystal bullets), so it's still not overpowered there.
I meant it's too weak. I didn't mean it's too overpowered.

Huh, alright. You just said 'unbalanced', so I couldn't guess one way or another.

I guess my point still stands though. But the Coin Gun is more of a novelty item; it's rarity is far too high to bother trying to make it worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom