Game Mechanics Toggle Visibility for WINGS in Vanity

GoldenTerrabyte

Empress of Light
Well... That's it, really. When wings are equipped in a vanity slot, the Visibility eye should show up on that slot. So if you make it not visible, then the wings only show while in flight, meaning you can have vanity wings with a cape too. I think this should be the solution to that issue.

It isn't, you can't make wings in the vanity slots invisible. And because of this, you can't have a cape with vanity wings, which limits the customization a lot.

It works this way with all wings, no accessories at all have a visibility toggle in the vanity slot, the type of wings doesn't matter.

Well... That's it, really. When wings are equipped in a vanity slot, the Visibility eye should show up on that slot. So if you make it not visible, then the wings only show while in flight, meaning you can have vanity wings with a cape too. I think this should be the solution to that issue.
You can do something like this already. Equip a Cape in vanity and Wings in accessory slots next to each other. Then turn off visibility of the wings. While on the ground, you'll display a cape and while in flight, you'll display wings.

I use a Mysterious Cape + black dyed Fishron Wings this way. It makes it look like the cape opens up into wings. Rather cool, if I may say so myself. :)

However, vanity wings with a cape aren't possible. I don't recall the thread, but I believe a moderator or developer confirmed this was not possible in the current engine.

You can do something like this already. Equip a Cape in vanity and Wings in accessory slots next to each other. Then turn off visibility of the wings. While on the ground, you'll display a cape and while in flight, you'll display wings.

I use a Mysterious Cape + black dyed Fishron Wings this way. It makes it look like the cape opens up into wings. Rather cool, if I may say so myself. :)

However, vanity wings with a cape aren't possible. I don't recall the thread, but I believe a moderator or developer confirmed this was not possible in the current engine.
I need it to work with vanity because the wings I use are the Vortex Booster, which doesn't really look good with any vanity, and I don't really like any of the other wings for the way they function.

As for it being impossible, is there a reason for that? I'd like to know more details if it's true.

Here we go: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...nd-capes-are-not-working-the-right-way.27091/
You left a comment in that too. :)

Quoting @Arkhalis with emphasis mine:
This is not an issue, and is in fact expected functionality. Due to the draw order of accessories and wings being a "topmost" visual. This is how the drawing system functions. Having wings in the vanity slot, even without wings equipped in a normal slot, will cause them to draw on top of many things. This happens with a few other accessories as well and unfortunately cannot be corrected easily.
I'll log this as a potential future enhancement, but we have many other high priority tasks to consider.

That's not to say you should give up on the suggestion though - I think many would appreciate it. And it may be considered if enough want it. :)

I think this is a solution that could work, hearing that explanation. If the problem is that they're a topmost visual, then having the vanity slot being able to be toggled as invisible would likely be able to solve that problem. It might not, but I'd say it'd be worth a try on the developers' part, if that's something they'd even be able to program. I can see why they wouldn't just put a visibility toggle on the vanity slots, but it would make sense for it to have that with wings.

Why not? Most wings are for vanity anyways, as far as when you get them in progression. (That is a topic for another thread, though.)

They need to just make the vanity slots priority order.

Examples:

cape above wings = cape shows when on the ground and wings in the air.

wings above cape = how it is now (cape never showing)

toolbelt above cape = cape is under the toolbelt sprite.

Back
Top Bottom