Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
To my understanding, The Torch God is intended to initiate at >100 torches, but the actual minimum to initiate it seems to be 51 torches (testing in newly-generated world with no pre-existing torches nearby).

Is each torch perhaps getting counted twice?

Understand the original post said single player, but could you please confirm if you tried this in single player or multiplayer? (Including host and play where you're the only player.)
As ShadowOfDarkness advised, there are known issues with Torch God starting early on multiplayer but it hasn't been reported in single player before.

I've been testing in single-player only.

I began testing this because I'm an admin at the wiki and several people had been editing the Torch God page to reduce the number of required torches for some time. At first I corrected this back to >100 because that's what the source code seems to indicate, but everyone seemed pretty insistent so I started testing in-game.

I generated a new world and entered it, via the plain old Windows Steam shortcut, no server, no multiplayer, and began with 100 torches, then kept removing torches, leaving and re-entering the same area. The event kept triggering, all the way down to 51 torches. At 50 I finally stopped being able to trigger it.

Last edited:
What about the other part of the wiki... does the item only drop if there are 100 torches or more, or does it drop at 51 as well?

What about the other part of the wiki... does the item only drop if there are 100 torches or more, or does it drop at 51 as well?
The item only drops if at least 95 torches attacked. Source code and testing seem to both agree on that part.

I've been testing in single-player only.

I began testing this because I'm an admin at the wiki and several people had been editing the Torch God page to reduce the number of required torches for some time. At first I corrected this back to >100 because that's what the source code seems to indicate, but everyone seemed pretty insistent so I started testing in-game.
Thanks equazcion, for confirming. I've added that it affects single player as well to the bug report.

I can report that it affects single player as well; I had only 80-something torches placed when it began, completed it, and it did not give me the favor. I didn't report it as it was mentioned in the wiki and I assumed it was designed that way.

I just left the area, returned and started putting down more torches, tried again, had it activate at 90-something, died (so I can't confirm if it gave the item or not), returned, put down more torches, succeeded (after putting down 99 torches, but I assumed that another was in range from somewhere else in the biome).

Back
Top Bottom