Triggering Hardmode without killing the Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velorien

Terrarian
I have a problem. My partner, with whom I play Terraria as a co-op endeavour, is very much of a roleplaying mindset when it comes to games. Among other things, this means she will never willingly let an NPC die. Not even if doing so is necessary to unlock half the content in the game.

So is there any way to trigger Hardmode without having to sacrifice the Guide via the Voodoo Doll? I am prepared to resort to any kind of cheats or hacks necessary.

I suppose you could load up the game on your own time, sacrifice the guide, kill the wall of flesh, and wait for the guide to respawn. Then exit the game, and leave everything where you left off. She'll never be the wiser.

Unless she notices that the name of the guide is different, in which case you'll have to kill the wall of flesh over and over until "Kevin" or whatever shows up again. Then you're golden.

I don't know about that. Seeing a wisp fly by your window might raise some valid questions from her part.

I don't know about that. Seeing a wisp fly by your window might raise some valid questions from her part.
Made me laugh. "Hey I Just noticed it dropped some dust! Let me go ask the gui... *Checks the name* *Name is different*WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!?"

EDIT: Like others said, you can use a world editor and set it to hardmode

Forgot it changes the name of the guide after death. Imagine the emotional devastation "You're not Jimmy! I loved Jimmy. Die doppelganger!". And thus a monster is born. Games are evil.

Or you can go on a killing spree until the guide with the same name spawns again.

So is there any way to trigger Hardmode without having to sacrifice the Guide via the Voodoo Doll? I am prepared to resort to any kind of cheats or hacks necessary.
TEdit is a really easy way, but as far as I'm aware, it hasn't updated to 1.3 yet, so you might need to use some other world editor.

It doesn't have to be a sacrifice. A legit accident could happen when you couldn't catch the doll without dying yourself (which in turn would summon the wall anyway if you fell in lava, rp wise it would burn up anyway) .

RP as a sceptical person who doesn't believe in voodoo, throw the doll in anyway, claiming you weren't actually expecting it to kill the guide. From a RP perspective there's no way to know for sure that throwing the voodoo doll in the lava would kill the guide, right? Just make sure you don't lose the WoF fight, as this excuse only works once.

Twice actually. You can claim that the first one was a coincidence, thus further proof is needed.

I'm disappointed that throwing the clothier doll in lava doesn't summon a WoF wearing a fancy hat and cape.

Have a summon with you (like fire imp or hornet), and walk alone in hell. Find a woodoo demon, and let your summon kill him over lava, letting the doll fall in and you free of guilt. "Oh darn, I was trying to farm some fireblossoms, and my hornet killed a demon over lava while I looked the other way!"

Unfortunately, the guide does have to die to summon the wall of flesh and start hard mode. My suggestion to you would be to incorporate the following into your lore: The area/world/island/dimension/planet/what have you that you two are in is now safe. Progression within it is finished, you've accomplished your goal. But you've discovered a way to travel to a place where things are much more dire, where your experience is needed to save lives. On your own time, you'd make a world, get down to hell, kill the wall of flesh, go back up and cap-off or otherwise get rid of the hellevator, and the two of you could continue your adventure in this hardmode world as if it were a new one. If you absolutely want 0 out-of-character influence, you could have a second character of your own do the evil deed of making a living sacrifice and unleashing chaos on the world for.. whatever evil (or misguided) reason your character might have, either in your home world or a seperate one.

... craft a stardust dragon staff and summon it... then just go to the underground and forget about the dragon... it will end up summoning the wall of flesh for you after a while (probably when you least expect it and are busy doing something else... lol... ) - I know because it happened to me the first time I went down there after beating the Moon Lord... I had no intention of summoning the wall of flesh... but that dragon just kills everything that spawns... :)

Happy Exploring!
~Jim

... craft a stardust dragon staff and summon it... then just go to the underground and forget about the dragon... it will end up summoning the wall of flesh for you after a while (probably when you least expect it and are busy doing something else... lol... ) - I know because it happened to me the first time I went down there after beating the Moon Lord... I had no intention of summoning the wall of flesh... but that dragon just kills everything that spawns... :)

Happy Exploring!
~Jim

Yeah cause the Stardust Dragon Staff can totally be crafted before fighting the wall of flesh right?

What if you just so happen to kill a Voodoo Demon while it is flying over lava? No one has willingly killed the Guide; it was simply an accident.

Collect 10-15 dolls and sacrifice guides when she isn't around until one with the same name pops up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom