PC Two new type of tiles in 1.3 clarification and inspirations, feel free to add your inspiration here!

Thiner

Terrarian
I want to suggest 2 type of tiles for you because they are very special and well deserve clarification and application.

First one: Bubble blocks.
You can buy it from the Party Girl in Hardmode.
It is very awesome because every tile can only be solid or non-solid, and it can't be both, - well, except for the Bubble blocks.
It is not solid when dealing with players, NPCs, and dropped items, but is solid when dealing with tiles, wirings and liquids in the world. It may have more than its original use: containing liquids.
About its original use it is easy to think of using bubble to create floating lava, making lava both more effective and more easy to use as it won't affect spawning because it is taken as non-solid block when spawning NPCs, so NPCs just spawn on the solid blocks BELOW the bubble blocks and the game only tests whether there is liquid ON the spawning tile, not more higher.
You can also use more layers of lava, even to fill your farm with bubbles and lava in a staggered pattern. They are the cheapest traps that provides free damage. (Because lava's immunity counter is independent from other timers. Although it may be not the best traps as the immunity time is 0.5 second and the damage is merely 50 with some even immune to lava.)
And they provide free bonus: they clear nearly all the coins, avoiding despawning of critical items. (Is that an advantage or disadvantage?)

Other usages example: As testing whether an NPC house is valid requires tile information, it is processed in the latter section, 'tiles and liquids', in which the bubble blocks are solid, so bubble blocks are valid building material - suggesting that they can be used to build a valid house with neither friendly NPCs nor hostile mobs taking it as a barrier between inside and outside.
As this thread wants NPC to contribute some DPS, this may be a good option when you have thought of how to keep the NPCs safe. (Well, you can make the shooting hole bubble.)
(Well, I can't place statues on bubble blocks because placing tiles is processed in player using items where the bubble blocks are not solid. If you can circumvent this, you may float a statue on a bubble, by which you can achieve the same result as the floating glitch!)
Feel free to add more example here taking advantage of the different handling of this tile in different regions!

Second one: Target Dummies.
It is obtainable pre-hardmode, but it is an awesome object.
As far as I see in the code, when you have both horizontal distance and vertical distance of less 1600 pixels(100 tiles) from a target dummy, the dummy will be activated. (EDIT: If you are away from an Dummy NPC for 10,000 tiles in distance or you are dead, it will deactivate, although it is very unlikely) In activation it will spawn an NPC representing himself. The NPC is used to show damage and debuffs.
The NPC has 1000 hp(well, no much use, but what if you shoot a bullet that deals over 1000 damage?), 0 value(drop 0 coins when defeated, so that lucky coin won't work against a dummy), 0 damage and 0 defense, 18 * 40 in size, immortal, not friendly, and [EDIT: collide with tiles(thus hoikable)].
Well, too much useless stuff... But it is an NPC, so many things that you can use against an NPC may work on Target Dummies. You can teleport him, for example, however it will not glitch much because it just despawns its NPC and respawns when it found that its NPC has been transported. [EDIT: I made the code wrong.. Actually when a targer dummy updates it don't check the NPC's actual x-y coordinate, but only registered tile coordinate when spawning the Dummy NPC. So you can teleport them away as you like.]

My example: Cheating immunity out of dummies using unicorn mount(well, slime mount can grant immunity as well, but it seems to be harder to use.)
Another inspiration although I didn't try that: eliminating NPCs using Dummies. Spawning enough dummy NPCs may help reach the NPC's upper limit 200, so that you can eliminate NPC spawn. Well I haven't tried that, and that may be done even in 1.2.4.1 if you prepare 200 birds and release them in a small box on screen...... Warning here: it may cause bugs and/or crashes....

[One epic example by @z26 : Use target dummies as hoik actors. They are immobile, but they can be teleported and can collide with tiles, thus they can be hoiked. Moreover, they can hit pressure plates and are affected by gravity.]

Waiting for you applying more dark magic that are applicable to any NPCs to the Dummies and bringing results here!

They are great tiles as they have an unique rule in Terraria. And I believe T-MEC can figure out more creative usage for special blocks introduced in 1.3! :)

Last edited:
Spawning enough dummy NPCs may help reach the NPC's upper limit 200, so that you can eliminate NPC spawn. Well I haven't tried that, and that may be done even in 1.2.4.1 if you prepare 200 birds and release them in a small box on screen...
Or repeatedly using a bunny statue to spawn corrupt bunnies during a bloodmoon (or goldfish).

Since town NPCs seem to be held in the same array, I wonder if your army of 200 dummies would also block new NPCs coming to town, or just crash the game...? If they block monsters you could make yourself a panic room, anyway.

Or repeatedly using a bunny statue to spawn corrupt bunnies during a bloodmoon (or goldfish).

Since town NPCs seem to be held in the same array, I wonder if your army of 200 dummies would also block new NPCs coming to town, or just crash the game...? If they block monsters you could make yourself a panic room, anyway.

It seems that town NPCs are always in the array unless they are killed... So if more than 200 dummies are near you, some will 'despawn' as what the wiki says. But I'm not sure whether it can eliminate other spawns... either friendly NPCs or mobs. It requires experiments.

Wait, bubbles contain liquids and count as a housing material!? Whoa. I had just assumed they were functionally identical to living fire.

as what the wiki says.
"If too many enemies are on screen, a Target Dummy can "despawn", remaining in place but becoming unresponsive to the player's attacks." Ah, good. You'd hope they'd have covered the basic issues. Still, wonder if they could be helpful in more subtle ways, like padding out/rearranging mob's damage priorities, reserving a slot for you slime, or whatever. Like have one the get's popper off an actuated surface the tick before (or same tick) that your invulnerability mob is spawned...? Otherwise they'd just cause more problems, I guess.

I've given target dummies a try: turns out they might be the best hoik agent around.

they can be hoiked around and press buttons. Not only that, but when displaced, they don't actually go back to their starting position and stay perfectly immobile! also, they are very easy to acquire unlike statues and unlike anything else dont have such a low agent number limit. To top it all off: they seem even harder to despawn than npc. they DO so when the player is killed, but even at night they stay spawned if the player goes far away.

Two drawbacks: idk if that last point applies when the target gets far away from its spawn point. Also, the invisibility (even hunter potion doesnt work) makes debugging a pain XD (makes for neater mechanisms tho) flooding them in lava MAKE a damage trace roughly showing their emplacement.

All of this might (too soon to tell) make complex contraptions a lot easier to build.

Last edited:
I've given target dummies a try: turns out they might be the best hoik agent around.

they can be hoiked around and press buttons. Not only that, but when displaced, they don't actually go back to their starting position and stay perfectly immobile! also, they are very easy to acquire unlike statues and unlike anything else dont have such a low agent number limit. To top it all off: they seem even harder to despawn than npc. they might do so when the player is killed, but even at night they stay spawned if the player goes far away.

Two drawbacks: idk if that last point applies when the target gets far away from its spawn point. Also, the invisibility (even hunter potion doesnt work) makes debugging a pain XD (makes for neater mechanisms tho) flooding them in lava might make a damage trace roughly showing their emplacement.

Terrifying! Tell me more about how to move it. Teleporter?
About invisibility, have you tried debuffing them? some debuffs like on fire?
If you are right then it might be possible to make a complex computer inside Terraria cause you can have ~200 digits if using dummies.... Great Idea....

Teleport them on a hoik (since you can't put a hoik directly where the statue is) and they will move.

Oh and yeah I've had a computer design in my head for a while that would benefit A LOT from this.

Bonus pic

eUICZgW.png

Teleport them on a hoik (since you can't put a hoik directly where the statue is) and they will move.

Oh and yeah I've had a computer design in my head for a while that would benefit A LOT from this.

Bonus pic

eUICZgW.png

Well it means that I don't need to seek for rare Skeleton Statues, as the Ghost Dummies can work equally well and they are very very cheap without any problems that may occur in skeletons... Dummies won't despawn under normal conditions as I added just now in the #1(the threshold for it to despawn is 10,000 tiles which is very unlikely, although you need to be inside 3200px*3200px region to initiate the Ghost Dummies, compared with skeleton's 1920*1080 screen or so)
It is available as long as a Mechanical Boss has been defeated, as the bottleneck is the teleporter anyway...
Very awesome, so I hope the devs don't fix it...

Bonus pic

eUICZgW.png
That is flipping epic!
it might be possible to make a complex computer inside Terraria cause you can have ~200 digits if using dummies
@DicemanX will be chuffed! And looks like I'll have to add a bit to the hoiktronics guide some time, lol. This makes type 1 (captive 'actors') much more viable, so possibility for some very rapid logic.

Am I right in thinking you can only get one ghost dummy per physical dummy? (And removing the body destroys the spirit?)
I hope the devs don't fix it...
Can't currently see this being used for anything other than complex applications, it's almost seems like a deliberate cookie we've been thrown by the devs...

(quote)"removing the body destroys the spirit?"

Yes, it does. and moving a ghost npc makes the initial emplacement "empty" (swinging at it doesn't do anything) so probably only 1 ghost per dummy.

(quote)"it's almost seems like a deliberate cookie we've been thrown by the devs..."

Was disappointed by the lack of wiring improvements in 1.3 (wanted more wire colors badly) but I'm happy now.

I now feel like finally giving a go at a computer. Only caveat is that tedit doesnt work for 1.3... it's pretty useful for large scale building. making a big ram array by hand is tedious! :p (I can still edit my previous worlds as long as I don't save on them in terraria) in worst case scenario I might downlaod 1.2.4 back for this specific purpose.

Last edited:
Yes, it does.
So 1 to 1 ghost - dummy ratio... Unless we (you) find an easy way to terminate/reset them, it might make designs a bit tricky; I found NPCs a pain to use during developement of hoik logic, as you can't pick them up of just kill them if they get stuck somewhere (even TEdit doesn't seem to be able to spawn them back in when dead, etc).

So, when level of computer design are you thinking of, registers and instruction decoders and storage controllers...?
Was disappointed by the lack of wiring improvements in 1.3 (wanted more wire colors badly) but I'm happy now.
There's supposedly more wiring stuff in the next minor update (which could be only a month or two out, from previous update schedules). Kind of worried they will give us 'too much', like programmable command blocks, or something too non-physical. Although I trust Red's overall vision, if he's leaving development, creative control might take new turns, perhaps...

"There's supposedly more wiring stuff in the next minor update (which could be only a month or two out, from previous update schedules). Kind of worried they will give us 'too much', like programmable command blocks, or something too non-physical. Although I trust Red's overall vision, if he's leaving development, creative control might take new turns, perhaps..."

Indeed I understand this is quite a valid concern. Might be better if they do minor but practical changes rather than adding so many pre-built features that many ingenious designs simply become pointless. having something like 8 wire colors might be nice tho. also, colored wire strippers could be useful to selectively remove overlapping wires (which with so many colors would happen much more)... maybe making teleporters easier to work with? right now setting up teleporting networks can be a pain.

(edit: since asking for something like "making teleporter networks is hard!" without giving any solution to the issue is a bit pointless, this could be done by adding 2-3 colors of a new type of (different looking) teleporting wire that doesn't actually transmit activations. instead, activate any two teleporter on the same frame that are bound by teleporting wire and they will teleport. Not a perfect solution I have to admit.)

"So, when level of computer design are you thinking of?"
Well, Im not far enough to know the specifics myself :p but the emphasis would be on making something flexible with a few hundred bytes of pseudo "ram". EDIT: phased this wrongly, what I have in mind acts more like a hard drive than like ram.
flexibility is an inherently attractive (even if pointless) goal.

But I'm not going to say too much, because I have that nasty habit of not finishing what I begin.

EDIT: also note the ghosts are affected by gravity, therefore if you make a floating dummy with the floating teleporter glitch the ghost wil automatically fall down, allowing you to get it in a hoik. While you don't need to teleport the ghost, you do need a teleporter anyway to place a floating dummy, making this trick a bit pointless.

Last edited:
something flexible with a few hundred bytes of pseudo "ram".
:eek: Oh right, so making that entirely in-game then... :p
I have that nasty habit of not finishing what I begin.
Yeah... @bawr was going to make a tracktronic CPU, and @Danke was promising all kinds of things (and I'll just leave my unrealised aspirations entirely out of this!), lol!
note the ghosts are affected by gravity, therefore if you make a floating dummy with the floating teleporter glitch the ghost wil automatically fall down, allowing you to get it in a hoik. While you don't need to teleport the ghost, you do need a teleporter anyway to place a floating dummy, making this trick a bit pointless.
I was literally just coming here to say that, heh (it's all happening on the forum atm!). I would deary like a way to float a dummy statue in early game (or some other magical way to get at the ghost). I know of one other way to float items (presuming it still works), I think it was @Gandalf K showed me, but that requires exiting out of the game and re-loading, which is one notch too meta, as a glitch, for my liking.

I tested the dummy ghost in one of my old binary adders, and of course it worked perfectly. Also, having just finally gotten around to watching some of @DicemanX's later videos I've realised (at about this point, here) that a hoik engine allows for perfectly efficient staggered trap engines, regardless of (awkward) trap timings. Simply try to re-activated the *all*, *every tick*, once their start times have already been staggered by you timing engine of choice... So an early game dummy hoik engine would be very useful for this. (An NPC version should suffice, but I had quite a bit of trouble trying to nail those townsfolk down to my peculiar houses even before their behavioural updates.)
[DOUBLEPOST=1438219241,1438196701][/DOUBLEPOST]And after a quick bit of testing it looks like dummies are limited to only 100 active instances:
There's a reason they only stack up to 99, I guess. Also see above that the same seems to run out of slots for damage number indicators (the dummies at the end of the line don't get to show their pain reliably until the ones at the front stop complaining).

Also, they seem (in this setup) to prioritise en-souling dummies closest to player spawn (or rather activated by proximity as described above). I got weird patterns of activation with them arranged in blockier formation, but in my messier test world with the additional issue that while TEdit can successfully copy/place a dummy body, they are always lifeless; have to be (re)placed in game. Which makes me wonder if they are registered elsewhere in the world file like chests (which have a limit, right?).
Fullscreen capture 29072015 204049.jpg
Simple ultimate engine (note you can also place plate on flat sides of sloped blocks now!)

Fullscreen capture 29072015 212553.jpg Messy test world. Note line of 19 gravity initiated dummy hoik engines (2nd from bottom), they all ran fine simultaneously without noticeable slowdown or any de-synchronization between their phases (bodes well for reliable hoiktronics).

Reactions: z26
...It just keeps reminding me of that fearsome night
http://i.imgur.com/adIkVpH.jpg

So dummies have ghosts, and these ghosts are mostly immobile but can be hoiked. Another amazing use of game mechanics. If you say the distance to despawn them is 10 000 tiles, not feet, it means once spawned they will not despawn until you exit or die, since even large worlds are 8317 tiles in width. (I'm not sure if it was noted before). That's nice.

I also put this on the wiki already, so maybe you've already seen it, but I made some interesting observations about the Detonator.

The Detonator is a 2x2 object that acts like a combinations of a pressure plate and a switch. That is, you can activate it either by stepping on it (players only) or by clicking it. The most interesting thing though, is that it's also a "mechanism", which when triggered by a wire will lock the plunger down, preventing it from doing anything when stepped on or clicked. Triggering it a second time will unlock it again.

Another new mechanism people may not have tried out is the Chimney. This can be turned off and on by wire, but the unusual thing is it actually has three states: Low (initial state), High (emits smoke particles), and Off (no smoke). But as far as I can tell this is strictly graphical.

Last edited:
I also put this on the wiki already, so maybe you've already seen it, but I made some interesting observations about the Detonator.

The Detonator is a 2x2 object that acts like a combinations of a pressure plate and a switch. That is, you can activate it either by stepping on it (players only) or by clicking it. The most interesting thing though, is that it's also a "mechanism", which when triggered by a wire will lock the plunger down, preventing it from doing anything when stepped on or clicked. Triggering it a second time will unlock it again.

Another new mechanism people may not have tried out is the Chimney. This can be turned off and on by wire, but the unusual thing is it actually has three states: Low (initial state), High (emits smoke particles), and Off (no smoke). But as far as I can tell this is strictly graphical.
I've been adding chimneys to my background houses, but didn't even consider them being activable. And you surprised me with this detonator thing... I've never seen one. Are they very rare? since they can't be bought from NPCs...

I've been adding chimneys to my background houses, but didn't even consider them being activable. And you surprised me with this detonator thing... I've never seen one. Are they very rare? since they can't be bought from NPCs...
The detonators are fairly common underground... or not rare anyway. I think they're probably concentrated towards the upper levels. They generate wired to explosives and on top of a larger than usual chunk of ore. Normally at least, sometimes it seems to mess up so either the explosives or detonator fails to appear.

(EDIT: If you are away from an Dummy NPC for 10,000 tiles in distance or you are dead, it will deactivate, although it is very unlikely)

The largest map I can create in TEdit is 8400 by 2400 tiles. Does this mean it is impossible to despawn the ghost dummies?

Back
Top Bottom