Game Mechanics uncraft / transmute toggle

Zyraphim

The Destroyer

The ability to uncraft with Shimmer is one of the best additions to the game, but as the updates go by and the list of transmutations expands, the list of things we can actually uncraft shrinks.
The solution? Add a new toggle to the left of the inventory when the player enters hardmode.
When set to Transmute, Shimmer will act the way it does now. Throwing Gold Bricks into Shimmer in this state will transmute them into Ancient Gold Bricks like usual.
But when set to Uncraft, everything that can be uncrafted will be uncrafted. Throwing Gold Bricks into Shimmer in this state will break them back apart into Gold Ore and Stone Blocks.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea. I don't think it should be an inventory toggle, though. Perhaps if it was a function of the Aether Monolith? Placing it down and activating it while already in an Aether Biome will disable transmutation and make it so you can only uncraft things.
I considered a monolith-esque item and a "Guide to Masterful Uncrafting" but ultimately settled on an inventory button. If something as small as switching torches got a button, why not this? I'd prefer it to be an inventory toggle, but I'd be fine with whatever as long as something like this gets implemented.

Last edited:
I considered a monolith-esque item and a "Guide to Masterful Uncrafting"
I have an urge to overcomplicate this name now...
Tutorial in which one may learn the art of using an odd, mysterious liquid known as Shimmer, which can be found in the Aether biome near the underground Jungle of one's Terraria world, to recall the action of crafting specific items, and learning said skill to an extent of being known as a "Master" of it, hence describing the pure skill it requires to undo the action of crafting. Said tutorial is located inside of a book, made from the thick, wooden trunk of trees, perhaps multiple.

i like the idea of an inventory toggle for this purpose. i think it should be a transmutation of an existing item, rather than a combination of existing permanent shimmer upgrades; it should be its own permanent upgrade.

i do support this idea, though.

i like the idea of an inventory toggle for this purpose. i think it should be a transmutation of an existing item, rather than a combination of existing permanent shimmer upgrades; it should be its own permanent upgrade.

i do support this idea, though.
You'll get the inventory button after consuming any of the upgrades, not a combination of them. But if Re-Logic wants it to be a separate item like Torch God's Favour, I'm all for it.

Last edited:
You'll get the inventory button after consuming any of the upgrades, not a combination of them. But if Re-Logic wants it to be a separate item like Torch God's Favour, I'm all for it.
i think it'd be better if it were its own upgrade tbh

The ability to uncraft with Shimmer is one of the best additions to the game, but as the updates go by and the list of transmutations expands, the list of things we can actually uncraft shrinks.
The solution? Add a new toggle to the left of the inventory when the player consumes any of the permanent shimmer upgrades.
When set to Transmute, Shimmer will act the way it does now. Throwing Gold Bricks into Shimmer in this state will transmute them into Ancient Gold Bricks like usual.
But when set to Uncraft, everything that can be uncrafted will be uncrafted. Throwing Gold Bricks into Shimmer in this state will break them back apart into Gold Ore and Stone Blocks.

Has to be a post boc/eow feature because of hellstone bricks

The reason I don't like it being an inventory button is because the Shimmer is specifically designed to be out of the player's control until the very end of the game... or at least that's the flavor of it. I'm just reluctant to diminish that in such a direct way.

The reason I don't like it being an inventory button is because the Shimmer is specifically designed to be out of the player's control until the very end of the game... or at least that's the flavor of it. I'm just reluctant to diminish that in such a direct way.
this is true, i'd prefer this to be at least a mid-hardmode feature if it were added

Has to be a post boc/eow feature because of hellstone bricks

I agree with this. I moved the requirement to simply be in hardmode.

i think it'd be better if it were its own upgrade tbh

The simpler option is to just have the ability to do this unlock in hardmode. The devs can think of a more elegant solution, but for now I won't make it too complicated.

The "control" in the endgame over Shimmer is just the ability to conveniently relocate the liquid which is something we can already do with pumps in pre-hardmode, and we have control over the Shimmering debuff in the form of the Chromatic Cloak right as we enter hardmode. There's not really any "flavour" being lost if it's an inventory button, but I'm fine with the Aether Monolith idea.

Back
Top Bottom