Working as Designed Underground desert cabin generated near dungeon, nowhere near desert

Zichqec

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I happened to notice a desert spirit spawned underground in a spot near my dungeon (I've artificially corrupted the area), nowhere near the underground desert. Upon investigation, I found a single underground desert cabin with a chest right next to the dungeon. The underground desert is on the opposite half of the map.

I was able to recreate this on a new world as well.
Seed: 3.2.2.quartet
Position: 5253' East
Depth: 475' Underground

Here is the cabin, and you can see the dungeon just beside:
1689546833695.png

And here is a view of part of the map, you can see that the underground desert is off to the left of world spawn:
1689546873713.png

Convenient for my bestiary progress though :D

So what's going on here is that when an underground cabin is placed, the type of cabin is based on the type of tiles in the area: if the majority of tiles are dirt and stone (as they usually are), you'll get an ordinary wooden cabin, but if it's sand - as it is here - it will pick the desert type cabin. This also means that desert cabins are not technically unique to the Underground Desert, that's just where they happen to end up most of the type. :)

I see I see 🤔 That makes sense, although it has the effect of making additional tiny underground desert biomes in other places throughout the world. As mentioned, the loot in this cabin is underground desert loot, and it spawns the appropriate enemies since it generated underground desert background walls (though there is not enough sand nearby for the music to change). Is that part intentional? It strikes me as odd/maybe an unintended side effect to find additional instances of the biome elsewhere in the world, and be able to get some of the loot without most of the actual perils of the underground desert.

If it was just an aesthetic change due to it appearing in sand, I'd get it, but it's the fact that it comes with all the other trappings of the underground desert that makes it feel out of place to me. I guess my assumption has been that on world generation, the underground desert biome would only appear in the main underground desert structure that spawns, and this edge case makes that technically untrue.

If that effect is indeed intentional, then it's a neat find. I haven't seen anything like this in my other worlds :happy:

Back
Top Bottom