Biomes & Nature Underground Desert: Re-Balancing Ideas

Xylia

Terrarian
So.....it's time to talk about the Underground Desert.

When you look at the biome once you've explored it in its entirety, I don't know about anybody else, but excluding the monsters, it looks like a New Player's Heaven. The caves are tiny and there are lots of them close together, there's a good amount of underground cabins with loot in them, there's a ton of ore in the place perfect for making your starter sets of armor, and with the exception of the fossils, the blocks are weak and easy to tunnel through.

.....But the problem is......

The monsters are just too insanely powerful to think about going there early-game. They have way too much defense, and they hit way too hard. One of the flying mobs hits a new character for ~30 damage and a Cactus Sword hits them for 1-2 damage in return. A new player isn't going to last in here.

Meanwhile, the biome itself offers very little of anything new (except the fossils, and two new blocks).

So, to actually give this zone some PURPOSE, I propose rebalancing (with Early-game in mind):

1). Reduce the defense and attack of the mobs to make them appropriate for early-game spelunking. It'd make sense that a character would tunnel through easy stuff like sand and sandstone before moving onto harder stone, right?

2). Make desert fossils easier to mine. I don't understand why they are gated behind the EoW/BoC Pickaxes. I'd say gate them behind Silver Pickaxes, or maybe Gold.

3). Make the Fossil Armor a little easier to make (cut the requirements in half)

That way, you'd have a very nice early-game starter biome that screams "GO HERE FIRST" and you'd have a nice set of armor comparable to Silver/Gold Armor but with some sweet bonuses for those new throwing weapons that many people just skip in favor of yo-yos. By the time you can actually acquire Fossil Plate, it is already out-classed by Shadow/Crimson Armor as you can't get Fossil Plate until you get the Pickaxes from EoW/BoC, right?

Every time I think about the Underground Desert, I can't help but to think it is a mish-mash of ideas thrown together that doesn't have any clear purpose in mind other than "it looked cool so we just threw it in". The terrain of the biome says "Early Game!" but the Fossils and the Mobs in there say "Hah! Don't even try it until Post-Crimson/Corruption!" and the Loot in there says "Early Game!" as the same stuff that is found there, is found in caves where the worst you fight is a skeleton or mother slime (unless you run into a nymph).

That an interesting thought about the balance, I'm not sure if I agree or not. Mostly I just wish there was more reason to go there at all. Maybe the fossil stuff is a little better than it looks, I confess I haven't used it extensively, but the desert really need something more. Even if it was as simple as a a few potentially useful drops from the enemies. Say two in normal mode and two for hardmode.

That an interesting thought about the balance, I'm not sure if I agree or not. Mostly I just wish there was more reason to go there at all. Maybe the fossil stuff is a little better than it looks, I confess I haven't used it extensively, but the desert really need something more. Even if it was as simple as a a few potentially useful drops from the enemies. Say two in normal mode and two for hardmode.

I just looked up the fossil armor and the Defense is on par with Silver/Gold Armor and it gives ammo bonus and some bonus damage to thrown weapons (which are not plentiful; the best being grenades and bone javelins).

Bone javelins do 29 damage so with the armor, they'd do about 45. Nice, but one has to look at the fact you need sturdy fossils to make bone javelins and after spending 85 of such fossils on the armor, you probably mined a third or more of all the fossils in your world just to get the armor, lol.

I honestly don't see why they thought that armor should be gated behind the BoC/EoW, lol. I just... don't? *shrug*

There's nothing in that biome that says it should be that late in easymode.

There's nothing in that biome that says it should be that late in easymode.
Nothing that says it shouldn't either.

You should stay out of the Underground Desert early in the game. Just like you should stay out of the Underground Jungle early in the game.

Nothing that says it shouldn't either.

You should stay out of the Underground Desert early in the game. Just like you should stay out of the Underground Jungle early in the game.

Except the Biome's Layout makes it perfect for early-game spelunking.

The environment and the loot says it should be early-game. Underground Jungle however, does not say that. There's LOTS of large pitfall rooms, the vines obstruct light, the thorns hurt... the Jungle's environment does not say "Early-game", and a lot of the shrines there have what is clearly meant to be loot found later in Easymode, and the weapons made from Jungle Loot (Blade of Grass, Chakram, Jungle Armor) says "Late Easymode" too.

The underground desert has a lot of cabins with many easy to explore caves with minimal digging required. I think that's why the enemies are tough, so a fresh character can't just walk in and reap the rewards. I see it as a good area to explore later on if you're still missing some golden chest loot, like a mirror or hermes boots. A way to help reduce the RNG but kind of locks it away until later. If the biome was too easy to traverse, then that would defeat the main purpose of exploring the normal underground.

I'm not too sure on the pickaxe power though, I mean 45 damage is pretty powerful even for shadow tier. That's stronger than the Night's Edge, and can be thrown a distance. Definitely too powerful for wooden/cactus tier.

I'd like the sturdy fossil drop chance to be raised a bit, 13.8% to 20% perhaps. Along with some more uses.

Back
Top Bottom