PC Underground Desert update

Sigma90

Brain of Cthulhu
Edit: See this post for a collation of what was suggested compared to what was added.

----

On Twitter, Cenx posted the following (you may also be able to see it on the sidebar in the main forum page):
1.3.2 has been broken into two updates so we can push them out quicker. 1.3.3 will now be the update to focus on UG Desert. :)

Aside from this more or less confirming a 1.3.3 and possibly more content (yay!)...

... what do you think could/would be updated in the underground desert?

I personally thought the desert and underground desert updates in 1.3 were fairly well fleshed out. There's a unique design, new blocks, fossils, new enemies (and even unique normal/Hallow/Crimson/Corruption versions!), desert cabins and so on. Currently, I can think of three things that could be updated for the deserts:
  • A Desert biome key
  • Fishing quests for desert fish and/or new general desert fish
  • New desert structures (e.g. similar to how MC 1.10 now has fossils)

Last edited:
Yea, I don't know what could be added to Terraria at this point.
Quicksand would be nice, but I doubt they could do that in this engine.

desertification, i think it would be quite the challenge to stop desert spread (like it does in the real world) because it would make the corruption spread also make more dangerous.

also, maybe some more hardmode enemys (and thus better items from the desert( no one uses the flail thing)) :)

desertification, i think it would be quite the challenge to stop desert spread (like it does in the real world) because it would make the corruption spread also make more dangerous.

also, maybe some more hardmode enemys (and thus better items from the desert( no one uses the flail thing)) :)
Considering how annoying Biome spread is to deal with already, I don't think anyone would want to deal with a normal biome spreading as well.

I think it's fairly good in normal mode, although it could use a few more touches, but I found the hardmode underground desert (including the evil/hallowed variants) somewhat lacking. I believe the only unique drops are a couple of masks. Basically there's no reason to go in there except just for fun. And the enemies are pretty tough, so something useful down there seems only fair.

It is awesome that @Izzabelle mentioned Lamia vanity here. I'd really love to see that for sure.

The Underground Desert certainly has some cool features, and was introduced very well in 1.3. But for me personally, there just isn't very much incentive to explore the Underground Desert because it doesn't have a lot of unique items. And I don't use Throwing Weapons much, so there's no need for me to get the Fossil Armor. Items are the main thing that excites me in Terraria and not having a lot of new unique items is the thing that makes me think the UD deserves a worthy focus and update on.

Having unique items in the Desert Chests (examples such as a Sand Mirror, a new early game bow, or moving Sandstorm in a Bottles to normal UD Chests rather than Pyramids) would make it more fun to explore in the early game.

Having more uses for Light/Dark Shards would also be good. Considering how more enemies that drop Light/Dark Shards were introduced in 1.3, but the only thing they can be used for is to craft the Dao of Pow Flail. More weapons and perhaps even Armor that can be crafted from them alone would give more incentive to explore deep in the Underground Desert for the new enemies.

A Giant Desert Chest Mimic could also spice up the UG just as the Corrupt/Crimson/Hallowed Mimics have done for their respective biomes.

Only other thing I can think of would be more Underground structures. They don't need to be Jungle Temple Scale, but perhaps things like a Pharoh's tomb, a Scarab Chamber with unique items.

Those are some of the main things I could see with an Underground Desert Upgrade.

The problem with the UG Desert, as I could tell while exploring it, is that nothing spawns there. I don't know how the biome is coded to spawn during world gen, but there are no traps, no ores, no gems, no alt caves, no campgrounds, no fungus. Nothing but sand, sandstone, hardened sand, and fossils. And cabins made of those. With stuff in themyou can get anywhere else. Extra boring biome.

. I don't know how the biome is coded to spawn during world gen, but there are no traps, no ores, no gems, no alt caves, no campgrounds, no fungus.
There are ores and campgrounds. Both normal and hardmode ores can spawn in the underground desert... though perhaps in reduced quantities now I think about it. But they are somewhat easier to find due to the holey nature of desert generation. There is also desert fossil, which can be put through an Extractinator for more ores.

There is the occasional campfire area. Not sure about traps though.

But no gems encased in stone and no Mushrooms, just like the Ice.

Only other thing I can think of would be more Underground structures. They don't need to be Jungle Temple Scale, but perhaps things like a Pharoh's tomb, a Scarab Chamber with unique items.
I like this one! Maybe they'll also do something with the rare Pyramids as well? Maybe it'll be guaranteed a pyramid would spawn somewhere in the underground desert?

I agree with the fishing quests in the desert. Just because there isnt a natural lake in the desert doesnt mean you cant make one; better yet, make them spawn naturally as an oasis or something. Anything to keep the hallowed desert caverns from looking like a giant frosted donut :eek:

Last edited:
A desert event would be awesome, as long as you can summon it. Not being able to summon Martian Madness is kind of annoying, I only found my first probe while building my Lunatic Cultist arena. A biome key would be great too, dunno what it could drop though.

Rain changed into sandstorms would be awesome :) Also, an increase to number of cabins on the small worlds(or may be the whole biome might be bigger) should satisfy most players that like playing on small worlds. Desert quests, is an excellent idea. Hmm, quite exciting. Let's see what's inside the dev's heads... :)

I'd personally like to see a boss you fight in the day time in the Desert. Something after EoW/BoC would be neat.

But other than than, the desert is really.. lacking.

Not being able to summon Martian Madness is kind of annoying, I only found my first probe while building my Lunatic Cultist arena.
Go to the ocean, up to space, and build a box made of temple blocks. Throw down a water candle and maybe bring battle potions. You'll find probes easily with this setup, and souls of flight make for decent money. Having a lifeform analyzer helps too.

Back on topic, iirc there's a desert boss in the thorium mod (i forget what exactly). Having a desert boss like say a giant sandworm would be nice. Imo they should have more uses for sandstone too. I wanna build some awesome desert towns but for now I'm stuck with blandstone and paint :/

Go to the ocean, up to space, and build a box made of temple blocks. Throw down a water candle and maybe bring battle potions. You'll find probes easily with this setup, and souls of flight make for decent money. Having a lifeform analyzer helps too.

Back on topic, iirc there's a desert boss in the thorium mod (i forget what exactly). Having a desert boss like say a giant sandworm would be nice. Imo they should have more uses for sandstone too. I wanna build some awesome desert towns but for now I'm stuck with blandstone and paint :/

Oh cool, thanks!

Simply bringing the underground desert up to early hardmode tier with the rest of the underground biomes would be the least of what could be done. Right now it has all of the nasty enemies with none of the rewards. (Unless you count the Sun Mask and the Moon Mask, but they don't assist with progression. They can't even be sold for money.) As of right now, there isn't an incentive to go to the underground desert once hardmode starts. Even the spider nests have a reason to return to them once hardmode starts.

maybe they can add some sort of invasion event, like, the "swarm" or something, would be quite the sight.

i mean, we DO have gobs, pirates and freaking snowmans, so why not an insect swarm crawling out of the desert sands ;D

Back
Top Bottom