Game Mechanics Upside-down swing for broadswords

Baconfry

Terrarian
One reason why broadswords perform poorly in combat is that they cannot strike enemies below the player. I'd like to propose adding an upside-down swing to broadswords. If the cursor is below a player when a broadsword is swung, the broadsword will instead start below the player and swing upwards, striking enemies below the player.

To see if it really made a difference in combat, I tested this in reverse gravity, and despite the weird upside-down flight controls, it works really well. The ability to strike enemies while flying above them is tremendously useful and makes it much, much easier to avoid getting hit.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 6.34.09 PM.png

You can see how this would be a much more advantageous situation; being able to safely fly over enemies while attacking them with a broadsword is extremely helpful, and it makes little sense that we can't do this by default.

Honestly, I think this change shouldn't be too hard to add, either. It's just a matter of flipping the attack upside-down (like in reverse gravity) and adjusting the player animations so it doesn't look too weird.

Back
Top Bottom