Game Mechanics Useful Lifeform Analyzer/Metal Detector

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
The Lifeform Analyzer and Metal Detector should have the added functionality of highlighting their respective targets WHEN HELD.

The Lifeform Analyzer would highlight Any/Rare enemies, and the Metal Detector would basically give you the Spelunker glow sticks effect.

To clarify, they would retain their current functionality when equipped, but with this change could also be useful to keep on your hotbar now too. This functionality would be lost with upgrades.

I saw a similar idea that the Angler's Pocket Guide should show the current quest fish, which would also be a nice change: Fisherman's Pocket Guide Showing Quest Fish

Last edited:
metal detector or spellunker glowsticks are already not so great, i don't think a buff would change anything but sure why not
lifeform analyzer is already a useful tool but i can't really decide if these changes would make is op, like imagine how much easier farming normal mimics in caves would be (recently on my melee run i needed them for the gloves and finding one without a mob farm is an issue) not to mention finding npc

metal detector or spellunker glowsticks are already not so great, i don't think a buff would change anything but sure why not
lifeform analyzer is already a useful tool but i can't really decide if these changes would make is op, like imagine how much easier farming normal mimics in caves would be (recently on my melee run i needed them for the gloves and finding one without a mob farm is an issue) not to mention finding npc
This would make those enemies and ores more noticeable instead of having to notice the "rare enemy nearby" message

Why not just let them keep the functionality when upgraded, though? What benefit is there to taking it away?
Because it wouldn't really make sense for a cell phone or PDA to show you where ore is the same way a metal detector should. So players would be motivated to either keep the metal detector around as long as possible before upgrading, or maybe just go find a second one

Because it wouldn't really make sense for a cell phone or PDA to show you where ore is the same way a metal detector should. So players would be motivated to either keep the metal detector around as long as possible before upgrading, or maybe just go find a second one
It doesn't really make sense for a Cell Phone to allow you to teleport back to your bed, either, and yet here we are.

This would make those enemies and ores more noticeable instead of having to notice the "rare enemy nearby" message
yeh that's what i was refering to finding mimics is an issue, it is a time consuming task bringing strong reward making them just lit up would take away a lot of this trouble and leave only reward like some sort get out of jail free card

For ores it would probably be a good change for enemies i think it would be op
Anad i generally think that accesories should keep their original functions when crafted into something or change it into something better
PDA is crafted out of metal detector so it has it in it's "functions"

Back
Top Bottom