Game Mechanics Using masks for painting furniture

Bramblejack

Terrarian
Painting in this game is such a powerful tool, but I never have painted furniture, because it looks odd and not very fancy. Let's take a steampunk bed as an example:

terraria.png

The top sprite shows the original bed without any changes. Left column of beds shows how I see it should look and work, painting only certain parts of the furniture. The right column shows how painting currently works and looks (more or less) in the game. What I mean is that furniture should have masks for painting so the paint is applied only to the masked area of that object.

HOW IT WORKS

1.png
2.png

This is how would the mask itself look like in this case:

3.png
4.png
5.png

Lately I've been going through a lot of people's creations - all kinds of bases, houses, etc. and so far I haven't seen anyone painting furniture. Like I said, I don't do it my self. When I'm painting a bookshelf I don't need those books to be all blue as well.

I'm not really good at explaining things, but I hope the illustration speaks for itself :)

Last edited:
This is a great Idea, but how would it work mechanically? would it just do it on it's own, or would it be done by the player, dividing the portions of the furniture into separate tiles. If it's the latter, it would take a lot of work on the programmers. and what if you wanted to paint the sheets? how would that work?

I want this. I really do, especially since when I first painted a meteorite brick, it looked beautiful when it was purple. I want this to be the same for all furniture.
@Beezwax&Nectar, they were capable of making hammered blocks, which killed a small portion of it's "Blocky" aspect. I think that they can pull this off, but you are right, it may be a little harder on the team with Andrew gone. But what do I know - I know nothing about game development :p
But really, anything that makes customization better, I want in the game. This game pulls out my creativity way more than Minecraft ever did.

I'm pretty sure Terraria's painting just puts a tint in and around blocks. You can even see the glow-like edges of the color blanket.

71f5c7c7c9.png

I agree it should be changed. How about, when you paint an object, that block / part of the furniture will change its sprite to have that area painted (more smoothly of course).

This is a great Idea, but how would it work mechanically?

I've added a little explanation to my post. If you'd want to paint pillow red, blanket, blue and the wooden parts white you can create three masks for each of these elements. The only question is if there are any limitations withing the game's engine which wouldn't allow that and that's the question you shouldn't ask me, because I obviously don't know the answer :p

I'm pretty sure Terraria's painting just puts a tint in and around blocks. You can even see the glow-like edges of the color blanket.

71f5c7c7c9.png

Don't base on my images, because I didn't take painted sprites straight from the game. I tinted them myself so they propably look different.

@iToby I'm not showcasing how bad they are. I'm mainly talking about painting mechanics and how furniture more or less looks like. My images differ, but the idea is the same whether they look like this or like in the game.

BTW since at first you didn't notice the difference I think these examples are good as they are ;)

Back
Top Bottom