Wacky NPCs Mod

Made a few new sprites. For some of the already existing ideas that had no sprite before. Might change them later, but anyway.

Crimson Kitchen Bar

crimson kitchen bar1.png

It's shadewood (and the gray part of crimtane for metal parts on the keg) and ichor recolors of vanilla things. put together. nothing special. I would consider this being the furniture that spawns the crimson kitchen barkeep. (if we can get those to work as planned).
It would generate along with the crimson kitchen structure upon generating a new world with the mod enabled. It can be picked up with a pickaxe (should it have something like required pickaxe power (if it's even possible for furnitures?) to make it into something like it can't me moved until hardmode or something?)
When mined, it drops the item, and the barkeep despawns. When placed again, the barkeep will spawn again at the bar, and walk around near it, like any other town NPC near their spawn point.

Mystery bento

mystery bento.png

I made this by tinkering with the tackle box's sprite... It looks kind of odd maybe? I wanted something along the line of an elegant black bento box with some red colors, but now it reminds me of Team Rocket... XD
Well, I suppose "prepare for trouble" if you buy these, as no one knows what sort of lunch each one may hold XD
...Most likely just cooked fish though... But who knows...?
Maybe should resprite it though. Does it looks really bad? XD lol

they will be sold by the waiter and the crimson kitchen barkeep, for 5 restaurant vouchers each. they stack. they're simple grab-bag items that hold 1 of any type of food item. (I think)

Harvesting cane

harvesting cane.png

It's a stick that has an orb of cloth on its tip, probably filled with more cloth or something. It probably has low dmg (maybe 5 or something) and has 0% or 1% (based on if 0% is impossible) axe power. enough to shake trees, but too low to chop them (if it ends up with 1%, then I suppose it is possible to chop trees with it, but it would took ages to cut a tree with this stick. XD It works the same way as any other axes.

It's craftable. I wonder what the recipe should be?
would something like 10 wood and 3 silk sounds reasonable? It would render it a very early item (still requires a little grinding or luck to get some silk though). Or should it come later in game progression?

It doesn't do much more than the starter copper axe anyway, the only difference is, that this wouldn't (likely) cut the trees.

the design is based on the farmer tool in Spore (tribal stage), but it also resembles other similar tools. I think in Zelda, Link to the Past, there's an enemy in dark world that has a spear very similar to this. Doesn't looks like a perticularly dangerous weapon XD

I tried to make a resprite for the mystery bentoView attachment 297929View attachment 297930
Thank you for the attempt, but while I'm wondering if my version is no good (which why I'm curious of others' opinion on it), your version doesn't really looks like a bento box either (it's a recolor of the toolbox, right? I thought about that too, though without a handle, since I think a stereotypical bento box doesn't have a handle like that),
and even worse, it has a bunch of mixels. (terraria's sprites use 2 x 2 pixels. if you mix in 1 x 1 pixels stuff, it will look weird)
So, thank you for the attempt, but no, it doesn't looks good.
I'm nowhere close to pro spriters either, but I try to follow some basic rules. Mixels are a NO.

Also, even if the mixel issue would be fixed, is that supposed to be a skull on it? It's not gonna explode, or have poisoned food, you know XD It's just a gamble. but it's no russian roulette. XD it's guaranted to contain edible food. it's just a mystery what it is. like, maybe cooked fish? or a hamburger? or a golden delight? who knows. but even if it is just cooked fish, that is edible too.

Sorry for the harsh criticism. I appreciate the attempt, but these sprites are no good the way they are now.

Yeah, I agree that it looks pretty bad. I only started drawing sprites a few days ago, and I've been focusing on weapons. Thanks for the tip about mixels though

Crimson Kitchen Bar

crimson kitchen bar1.png

It's shadewood (and the gray part of crimtane for metal parts on the keg) and ichor recolors of vanilla things. put together. nothing special. I would consider this being the furniture that spawns the crimson kitchen barkeep. (if we can get those to work as planned).
It would generate along with the crimson kitchen structure upon generating a new world with the mod enabled. It can be picked up with a pickaxe (should it have something like required pickaxe power (if it's even possible for furnitures?) to make it into something like it can't me moved until hardmode or something?)
When mined, it drops the item, and the barkeep despawns. When placed again, the barkeep will spawn again at the bar, and walk around near it, like any other town NPC near their spawn point.

I like the design a lot, but how many blocks high would that make it, because that could mess with how people would have to build housing for the NPC more specifically which I found you are against, otherwise, the design is good. Also, IDK about it being a hardmode exclusive,
Mystery bento

mystery bento.png

I made this by tinkering with the tackle box's sprite... It looks kind of odd maybe? I wanted something along the line of an elegant black bento box with some red colors, but now it reminds me of Team Rocket... XD
Well, I suppose "prepare for trouble" if you buy these, as no one knows what sort of lunch each one may hold XD

they will be sold by the waiter and the crimson kitchen barkeep, for 5 restaurant vouchers each. they stack. they're simple grab-bag items that hold 1 of any type of food item. (I think)
Maybe make the sprite just a little more neutral, it looks like it's going to spawn some mini-boss Crimson Clown honestly

Harvesting cane

harvesting cane.png

It's a stick that has an orb of cloth on its tip, probably filled with more cloth or something. It probably has low dmg (maybe 5 or something) and has 0% or 1% (based on if 0% is impossible) axe power. enough to shake trees, but too low to chop them (if it ends up with 1%, then I suppose it is possible to chop trees with it, but it would took ages to cut a tree with this stick. XD It works the same way as any other axes.

would something like 10 wood and 3 silk sounds reasonable? It would render it a very early item (still requires a little grinding or luck to get some silk though). Or should it come later in game progression?

It doesn't do much more than the starter copper axe anyway, the only difference is, that this wouldn't (likely) cut the trees.

the design is based on the farmer tool in Spore (tribal stage), but it also resembles other similar tools. I think in Zelda, Link to the Past, there's an enemy in dark world that has a spear very similar to this. Doesn't looks like a perticularly dangerous weapon XD
Maybe give it a 1/1,000 chance to deal 12 damage (as a reference to how much difference it did in a Link to the Past (I am formally Z3ldaMaster 'till some dude took ZeldaMaster on YouTube lol))
Maybe make it craftable out of 12 wood and 1 silk, or purchasable from the Scam Artist for 1 gold (Extremely overpriced as the cost of its ingredients is nothing, and sale price would be maybe 50 copper)

I tried to make a resprite for the mystery bentoView attachment 297929View attachment 297930
I like this sprite a lot better. but what Sora_92 is true.

@CantWontDo
Don't worry too much about it. Practice makes perfect, right?

@ForeverPyrite
Bar
I suppose it would be something like 3 x 4 block.
I wouldn't think that's any more limiting than any other furnitures, you most likely will build bigger houses than that anyway. Plus, if we could get it work as the original plan, then it would generate in a building that already exists since the start of the game (the Crimson Kitchen restaurant). It also means it wouldn't be hardmode exclusive at all, because it would be there since the start. (finding it could be tricky, but that's why I think there should be an item that points at it)

I'm just wondering where it should be only mineable with higher tier pickaxes/only in hardmode, so, that would mean the barkeep can't be relocated prior to entering hardmode. I wonder if that would be good, or not.

Bento box
It doesn't even resembles the crimson's colors, I think. But again, this might gets resprited later. It will do for a placholder, if nothing else.

Cane
I think it's probably better being craftable, that would make it easy to aquire. The scam artist sells silk itself too by the way, I think for something like 3 gold? (or was it 1 gold) per piece, which is itself extremely expensive - but it can be helpful very early game to get a bed or something. By that logic, this thing should cost around 10 gold minimum.

also, don't know if we need anything fancy like X chance to do more dmg.
did those monster do 12 dmg? I don't remember how much dmg. they did, just that there were these monsters with some spear like this.

if anything, maybe something like giving it right-click function to work like a spear, could be interesting. but anyway, it's not really meant to be a weapon anyway.

@CantWontDo
Don't worry too much about it. Practice makes perfect, right?

@ForeverPyrite
Bar
I suppose it would be something like 3 x 4 block.
I wouldn't think that's any more limiting than any other furnitures, you most likely will build bigger houses than that anyway. Plus, if we could get it work as the original plan, then it would generate in a building that already exists since the start of the game (the Crimson Kitchen restaurant). It also means it wouldn't be hardmode exclusive at all, because it would be there since the start. (finding it could be tricky, but that's why I think there should be an item that points at it)

I'm just wondering where it should be only mineable with higher tier pickaxes/only in hardmode, so, that would mean the barkeep can't be relocated prior to entering hardmode. I wonder if that would be good, or not.

Bento box
It doesn't even resembles the crimson's colors, I think. But again, this might gets resprited later. It will do for a placholder, if nothing else.

Cane
I think it's probably better being craftable, that would make it easy to aquire. The scam artist sells silk itself too by the way, I think for something like 3 gold? (or was it 1 gold) per piece, which is itself extremely expensive - but it can be helpful very early game to get a bed or something. By that logic, this thing should cost around 10 gold minimum.

also, don't know if we need anything fancy like X chance to do more dmg.
did those monster do 12 dmg? I don't remember how much dmg. they did, just that there were these monsters with some spear like this.

if anything, maybe something like giving it right-click function to work like a spear, could be interesting. but anyway, it's not really meant to be a weapon anyway.
Okay on the bento box

So maybe make the bar have to have a pickaxe power of 150% to mine

The cane, yea I was having fun with the idea of that, because it is not meant to be a weapon, just have a verrrrrrrrrrry slim chance to deal 12 damage for those who might get the reference
Otherwise, I didn't know the scam artist sold silk
You could stick with the normal concept of the cane if you would like.

@ForeverPyrite
As for the cane, the problem is, that I'm not sure either, if I get the reference XD So, explain it a bit more.
Also, 12 dmg is low too, so not like it would make much a change. it even could just have that much attack - though due to defense, I guess it would do less dmg.
But... I suppose that would make it still quite overpowered early game, since all axes naturall have autoswing?
Tricky...
I dunno if there's really much point worrying too much about this. it's not supposed to be a weapon anyway. XD

Made a few new sprites. For some of the already existing ideas that had no sprite before. Might change them later, but anyway.

Crimson Kitchen Bar

View attachment 297914

Mystery bento

View attachment 297915

Harvesting cane

View attachment 297919

The Crimson Kitchen looks pretty good. I don't think that it would matter if it was locked behind x amount of pickaxe power since at least for now it doesn't offer you anything that would be too good at the start of the game (also yes it's possible since hellforge is impossible to get before EoW/BoC)

I like how the bento looks but if I had to change something about it, maybe it could have colors from the voucher instead of just being black ?

Harvesting Cane also looks good (love the Spore reference) and as for the crafting recipe I think it should be reversed so it's 3 wood and 10 silk since all of the normal tools require 3/4 wood and around 10 other material.

Last edited:
The Crimson Kitchen looks pretty good. I don't think that it would matter if it was locked behind x amount of pickaxe power since at least for now it doesn't offer you anything that would be too good at the start of the game (also yes it possible since hellforge is impossible to get before EoW/BoC)

I like how the bento looks but if I had to change something about it, maybe it could have colors from the voucher instead of just being black ?

Harvesting Cane also looks good (love the Spore reference) and as for the crafting recipe I think it should be reversed so it's 3 wood and 10 silk since all of the normal tools require 3/4 wood and around 10 other material.
Yeah, as for the bar, I think it would behave like, if it can't be mined prior to some part of the game (e.g. pre-hardmode), you have to go down there, if you want to buy anything - alternatively, it offers you a spot where you can buy and sell stuff underground, so you can set up a small base of operation nearby (alternatively, if it generated in an ideal place, maybe even suitable to place a town nearby.

But if not, then, it might would look like, you rarely visit it, but you could go back for it in hardmode or something, to pick it up.
Actually, if we can get things to work, it also could be a way to get the (furniture spawned) Cyber Fangirl too, if it would do something like, - that might be complex through - like, there's a furniture or block or something, that can't be mined prior to hardmode, and does nothing, but, upon entering hardmode, it transforms into another item, the furniture that spawns the Cyber Fangirl. so when you first visit the Crimson Kitchen in hardmode, you would find her there - and they you can pick up both furnitures, and place them elsewhere if you want.

It might could work?

As for the bento, it's interesting idea. wonder if those colors would work?

And, yeah, I get the general pattern, still, I think it (by looks) wouldn't require so much silk.

Mystery bento tooltip:
A funny smelling box.
Has a 50% chance for a random food item
Has a 30% chance for mold
10% chance of Potion.
Right Click to open

change the tooltip if you want

But if not, then, it might would look like, you rarely visit it, but you could go back for it in hardmode or something, to pick it up.
Actually, if we can get things to work, it also could be a way to get the (furniture spawned) Cyber Fangirl too, if it would do something like, - that might be complex through - like, there's a furniture or block or something, that can't be mined prior to hardmode, and does nothing, but, upon entering hardmode, it transforms into another item, the furniture that spawns the Cyber Fangirl. so when you first visit the Crimson Kitchen in hardmode, you would find her there - and they you can pick up both furnitures, and place them elsewhere if you want.

It might could work?
Alternetively she could be a quest reward from the Waiter just like the Sleepy Guard or maybe it could just be crafted from some hardmode materials.

Mystery bento tooltip:
A funny smelling box.
Has a 50% chance for a random food item
Has a 30% chance for mold
10% chance of Potion.
Right Click to open

change the tooltip if you want
nah, it would contain food. so, there's no trick like it would be empty, moldy, poisoned or anything. and it shouldn't contain potions, because they're very different stuff from food. food all gives you different level of the well-fed buff. that's where it's a gamble. if it costs 5 vouchers, but you end up getting a cooked fish from it, which would cost 1 voucher, you got that much more expensive than you could. if you get a golden deligh however, which would be 10 vouchers (maybe), you got it cheaper.

so, it is a gamble, but it's not the sort of gamble to often win nothing at all. it's garanted to contain edible food. just you don't know what it is.

Alternetively she could be a quest reward from the Waiter just like the Sleepy Guard or maybe it could just be crafted from some hardmode materials.
Yes. But the question there, if we can get those quests to work...?

Otherwise, the "craftable" is a tricky thing with these.
Because, if you can craft them, and the furniture spawn the NPC, you could have multiple NPCs of the same one, in the same world, which I don't want.

Yes. But the question there, if we can get those quests to work...?

Otherwise, the "craftable" is a tricky thing with these.
Because, if you can craft them, and the furniture spawn the NPC, you could have multiple NPCs of the same one, in the same world, which I don't want.
I thought so too but even if you make it uncraftable you'll still be able to copy it with Journey Mode or the Cheet Sheet so if somebody wants to have multiple versions you can't really stop them. The only counter measure I can think of is if it would somehow be possible for there to only be one ''NPC'' in the world so if you place another it would just be a piece of furniture.

I thought so too but even if you make it uncraftable you'll still be able to copy it with Journey Mode or the Cheet Sheet so if somebody wants to have multiple versions you can't really stop them. The only counter measure I can think of is if it would somehow be possible for there to only be one ''NPC'' in the world so if you place another it would just be a piece of furniture.
I know you can cheat in multiple ones with cheat sheets and stuff, that's fine.
My concern is more like, if it's normally available like that, you could place a bunch of them everywhere to have an NPC there who will buy your trash mid-adventuring. (although this still could happen with the one item generated with the world too, but that's okay)

I don't know if you can set how many of these can be present in a world.

this all depends on if we can get the furnitures to spawn entities, and said entities can behave like town NPCs...
if not, it's still an alternative to have them being actual town NPCs, but I would preferred to avoid that, if they don't do anything useful. the crimson kitchen barkeep is more like an interesting and funny novelty thing, than an actually useful NPC, if the waiter would do the same.

of course, it is confusing though, when you look at vanilla, with NPCs like the princess, who really only has things for sale that they could just given to other NPCs. I mean, yeah, she's cute, but she should have more role. like giving quests or something.
But, I don't think I really wanna add NPCs who aren't very useful...

I really like the idea of the Scam Artist and how they sell rare items at a higher price just in case you really don't want to screw around with RNG. As well with the added lore behind her. I'll be looking at this mod with great interest.

I really like the idea of the Scam Artist and how they sell rare items at a higher price just in case you really don't want to screw around with RNG. As well with the added lore behind her. I'll be looking at this mod with great interest.
Thank you~!
We have all sorts of interesting stuff planned, but I wonder if we can get them to work...

Scam artist should like underground as she is part nymph. Hallow fangirl can like guide because they are both avatars of the world guardians (according to the lore though the hallow fangirl is non canon) also I remember the thing about the mimics, it was that the mimic merchant should be a different version based on biome and should be a present mimic during Christmas also you should make the guide's brother (the ninja in slime king) an NPC

Scam artist should like underground as she is part nymph. Hallow fangirl can like guide because they are both avatars of the world guardians (according to the lore though the hallow fangirl is non canon) also I remember the thing about the mimics, it was that the mimic merchant should be a different version based on biome and should be a present mimic during Christmas also you should make the guide's brother (the ninja in slime king) an NPC
As for the scam artist, that is true, but I'm basing her preferences on, that if she would be housed next to the merchant anyway. (this brings up the question, how to edit vanilla NPCs' likes and dislikes, to add modded NPCs there. if can do that, then the scam artist could easily have underground as preferred, and that helps if you want to place the merchant underground too. although, I think they most likely would be both in the forest town.

Hallow fangirl could like the guide, but she is nothing like the guardian of the world. She is not the hallow's avatar. She's just a crazy girl with a holy crusader complex. If go with her current design, that she has an unicorn horn, it is questionable if it's real or fake. if it is real, she might be not completely human, but she's still no something like an avatar.

Mimic merchant, I thing most likely would only spawn in the cavern - so the wooden mimics is not very relevant (that spawn "underground" level, right? the ice mimic is questionable though.

and, the ninja in king slime is one of the trickiest town NPCs... there are many suggestions about adding him, but the tricky thing is... what would he do? If we can figure out the "furniture-spawned NPCs" thing, then I suppose he can be added even if he has no useful function, but otherwise he would need to be useful, and I'm really not sure what could he sell. Or what would be his role otherwise?

Back
Top Bottom