PC Water Duplication Problem with Airlock:

Rybek

Terrarian
So, I was making a fully automatic rapid airlock(less than 2 seconds), when I encountered a water duplication glitch during testing. I think it might be to do with my single tile gap to get rid of the water in the airlock, but since I haven't come across any water dupe bugs before, I can't be sure. I would show a screenshot of the design, since I know you can't really help without it, but unfortunately, I seem to not have permission to "Upload a File". Any help would be greatly appreciated, both on how I could add the screenshot, and how I could get rid of my dupe bug. I'll try and describe the bug as best as I can.

When I enter my airlock, the actuated blocks are moved to the background, and a dummy ghost engine is activated. I have two vertical platforms, one bottom, one top(in that order), in a one tile wide gap, to drain the water into a chamber below, slightly larger than the airlock itself. However, when the blocks reactuate to stop more water entering, the chamber is full, and some water remains inside my airlock. The engine powers a pump to empty it, and when i leave the airlock, my reservoir is full, but there is still some excess water in the chamber, despite there being only enough water to nearly fill the reservoir(at the beginning at least). Therefore, the water must have duplicated.

Any suggestions on why that happened, and how to stop it?

EDIT: Problem has been solved, thanks to DRKV.

Last edited:
Right now the forum is slightly buggy and for some reason file upload just doesn't work. You can make an account on imgur, upload the pictures there and embed them here.

I think the problem is that you are draining through a 1 tile gap. When you do that, or split the water in two, you always get some amount of duplication. Most reliable air locks I've seen actuate the entire floor/ceiling of the chamber, so the water just drops straight down.
You could also add an overflow drain to your reservoir, with honey and a cursed torch/rail/platform to destroy any duped water.

Right now the forum is slightly buggy and for some reason file upload just doesn't work. You can make an account on imgur, upload the pictures there and embed them here.

I think the problem is that you are draining through a 1 tile gap. When you do that, or split the water in two, you always get some amount of duplication. Most reliable air locks I've seen actuate the entire floor/ceiling of the chamber, so the water just drops straight down.
You could also add an overflow drain to your reservoir, with honey and a cursed torch/rail/platform to destroy any duped water.
Thanks for the help, I've looked at a couple of my old designs, none of which had the water dupe, and I think the problem lies in the 1 tile gap. I'll probably widen it, instead of an overflow drain, since it would take less than a minute to do. I'll let you know if that worked, and I'll make sure to create an imgur account, so if neither of your suggestions work, I can upload the screenshot.

So, I've tried widening it, and at first, it seemed to work, but apparently, I had just slowed down the duplication. Once again, I'm not well versed in water dupe bugs, so I don't know how to build the overflow drain you mentioned. Could you possibly talk me through the process?

EDIT: I've tried using honey, and although it effectively removes the excess water, I need to manually replace it, which is a pain. Which of the other two requires less, or no maintenance?
EDIT: I was googling while I waited for your reply, and I've found out what you meant by rails. Really grateful for your help, I actually thought I might have to scrap my current design because of the bug. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Another way to insert an image: copy the image and paste it into a post.
Note 1: Most screenshot apps directly generate a bitmap on the clipboard and you can skip copying.
Note 2: If you want to insert an image file, open it with Microsoft Paint, ctrl+a to select all and then ctrl+c to copy.

Another way to insert an image: copy the image and paste it into a post.
Note 1: Most screenshot apps directly generate a bitmap on the clipboard and you can skip copying.
Note 2: If you want to insert an image file, open it with Microsoft Paint, ctrl+a to select all and then ctrl+c to copy.
Thanks for that, I'l make sure to do that for any future posts.

Back
Top Bottom