What is your class and why did you choose it?

Ranger, since nobody else on my master world wanted to that and it's really good early master mode and is still competent afterwards. My main character's Name is Spunt and we're playing on a post-golem world.

I actually don't use classes anymore. I find them quite a shallow way to add variety since all of them save for summoner are very nearly the same. Instead I just throw on some Crystal Assassin Armor and an Avenger emblem and simply use the weapons I like. Ever since I started doing this I've had a lot more fun and now get to try out weapons I normally wouldn't since I'm not restricted to a defined meta set by each class.

I actually don't use classes anymore. I find them quite a shallow way to add variety since all of them save for summoner are very nearly the same. Instead I just throw on some Crystal Assassin Armor and an Avenger emblem and simply use the weapons I like. Ever since I started doing this I've had a lot more fun and now get to try out weapons I normally wouldn't since I'm not restricted to a defined meta set by each class.
Interesting, well the ranger meta has about 3 weapon type options late game, melee only really has 2, and magic has maybe 2 so I can see why you like to change things up, ranger is only really confined by armor late game, but even then you are forced to choose between a handful of bows, guns and launchers. I actually like your idea and will try something similar in master mode once I beat it as each class.

Doing classes can also be quite fun, but it varies from person to person. For me personally, I find sticking to a class a lot more fun since I usually have trouble when I'm forced to choose a new weapon due to how overwhelmingly huge the amount of weapons in this game is.

That being said, classes don't have to be "pure". There are no set rules that state that you should only use ranger weapons with ranger armor or anything. You could easily be doing a mage run while using a death sickle when out of mana, or playing summoner and using an uzi with endless musket pouch when a boss is out of your whip's reach. The only difference between such an "impure class" run and a "no class" run would be the fact you would actually have a strong weapon category you can rely on if things get rough, instead of equally spreading stats among every weapon.

Doing classes can also be quite fun, but it varies from person to person. For me personally, I find sticking to a class a lot more fun since I usually have trouble when I'm forced to choose a new weapon due to how overwhelmingly huge the amount of weapons in this game is.

That being said, classes don't have to be "pure". There are no set rules that state that you should only use ranger weapons with ranger armor or anything. You could easily be doing a mage run while using a death sickle when out of mana, or playing summoner and using an uzi with endless musket pouch when a boss is out of your whip's reach. The only difference between such an "impure class" run and a "no class" run would be the fact you would actually have a strong weapon category you can rely on if things get rough, instead of equally spreading stats among every weapon.
Yeah, I use the terra blade when low on ammo and more like that.

That's also fair. To me, being able to use more that one damage type opens up so many weapon combinations. In my current Master FTW playthrough, I'm using Razorblade Typhoon for crowds, Tsunami for single Targets, and Terra Blade to deal with lone enemies to save mana/ammo. Sure, you don't get as much damage per item, but you make up for that with extreme versatility. To me the insane number of weapons is a positive, since it opens up more combinations of weapons and general options to choose from.

Last edited:
I've ran through multiple times with all except summoner, but I like Ranger most, because:
1. Guns are fun to shoot
2. Ranger is sorta underrated and under-powered at times, especially apparent in the endgame
3. Guns are fun to shoot

Edit: It has come to my attention that ranger is quite strong with early hardmode up to Golem as some have mentioned-when I refer to ranger endgame, I mean how the S.D.M.G doesn't really compare to the likes of the Terraprisma, the Zenith, or Last Prism.

Last edited:
In this thread you will be able to tell me and others what your current terraria class is and why you chose it.
Ranger is by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar my fav. and why? daedalus stormbow and vortex beater are S tier weapons.

Summoner. It's by far the deepest class in the game. Knowing how to manipulate AIs of some minions, know what whip will work the best with what minion (Using Firecracker with Blade Staff is like using the Shrimpy Truffle mount for grounded moment) and of course Whip stacking. Not just that, but Summoner on its own has different playstyles that significantly differ from each other. Taking advantage of these advantages and techniques rewards you with arguably the strongest class in the game (behind Tank Melee prob because Defense/regen is broken).

I believe in Pre-Mech alone you have four or five viable different playstyles you can go for, counting Hybrid classes: Regular with Spider Armor, Obsidian Armor glass cannon, Mage/Summon Hybrid with Forbidden Armor and last but not least, Melee/Summon Hybrid Titanium Facetank. If we stretch this and split Spider Armor into two playstyles, you have "Offensive" with Sanguine Staff and "Defensive" with Blade Staff. Speaking of that, even though Summoner is known for having the "lowest defense", in practice you can easily build Summoner to have high survivability while hardly losing out on damage. Using the Blade Staff combined with Hallowed Armor, Berserker's Glove and full Warding makes your survivability far above Mage/Ranger while still dealing tons of damage because Blade Staff doesn't care about percentage bonuses anyway. Not to mention the Blade Staff is amazing defensively against regular mobs on its own.

Summoner. It's by far the deepest class in the game. Knowing how to manipulate AIs of some minions, know what whip will work the best with what minion (Using Firecracker with Blade Staff is like using the Shrimpy Truffle mount for grounded moment) and of course Whip stacking. Not just that, but Summoner on its own has different playstyles that significantly differ from each other. Taking advantage of these advantages and techniques rewards you with arguably the strongest class in the game (behind Tank Melee prob because Defense/regen is broken).

I believe in Pre-Mech alone you have four or five viable different playstyles you can go for, counting Hybrid classes: Regular with Spider Armor, Obsidian Armor glass cannon, Mage/Summon Hybrid with Forbidden Armor and last but not least, Melee/Summon Hybrid Titanium Facetank. If we stretch this and split Spider Armor into two playstyles, you have "Offensive" with Sanguine Staff and "Defensive" with Blade Staff. Speaking of that, even though Summoner is known for having the "lowest defense", in practice you can easily build Summoner to have high survivability while hardly losing out on damage. Using the Blade Staff combined with Hallowed Armor, Berserker's Glove and full Warding makes your survivability far above Mage/Ranger while still dealing tons of damage because Blade Staff doesn't care about percentage bonuses anyway. Not to mention the Blade Staff is amazing defensively against regular mobs on its own.
wow. You made some really great points. I sort of agree with you, summoner is my second fav, I just feel like ranger is my base bc its easiest imo. I love summoning for a nice challenge tho

Back
Top Bottom