What's the next upgrade to my equipment?

IXBlackWolfXI

Terrarian
I killed plantera, rather easily, so I'm thinking of perhaps farming it.

Right after defeating plantera, I decided to go explore the new lizard dungeon w/e its called. Was going fine, until I accidentally activated the golem. Luckily, I still had all my potions from the plantera fight (I never returned to base). However, despite this, I was unable to kill it. I did last quite a while, managed to get him into his second form, but after that I was taking damage way too rapidly and didn't really seem to be harming it anymore. I decided I needed to upgrade my equipment before I tried again.

But that isn't going too well. I tried to do the upgraded dungeon, and found I simply don't stand a chance against the new mobs. A paladin has an insanely long range, high damage, his projeciles move far too fast for you to dodge, and he appears to be invincible. Yeah, my megashark can kill the eye of cthulhu literally in seconds (decided to grind it to try and get the trophy), but it can't even scratch a paladin. Then I decided to go try duke fishron. I thought he was a boss you could beat before plantera, but wow I was wrong. Again, he has all these massive high-damage aoe attacks that are impossible to dodge. I died in seconds.

But I can't find anything really to upgrade with. I upgraded to chlorophyte armor, but I can't really find an upgrade to my megashark. I'm thinking that maybe I should switch to magic (I have a lot of hard-mode staves I'm not using, including some kind of frost staff that looks very tempting).

I really don't think my new armor set will help me much against fishron or the new dungeon mobs. It might help against the golem, but other than that. Really the only 'upgrades' I can find on the wiki are things that drop from the frostmoon or some other event that I obviously can't even attempt.

On a side note, I'm also having problems defending my base during bloodmoons and eclipses and such. There's nothing I can do to keep enemies out, most notably wraiths. And fighting inside my base, which btw has 5 floors, isn't very practical, and each floor has its own entrance btw bc of how my base is designed. Still trying to figure out how to fix that. Maybe if I could actually give my house defenses I could grind eclipses or something, I don't know.

As for what gear I currently have, I upgraded from hallowed armor to chlorophyte armor (ranged), I have a megashark with cursed bullets, ankh shield, butterfly wings, starveil, lightning boots, and charm of myths. Everything is upgraded to warding. Not sure what my megashark is, but its definitely NOT a negative upgrade.

When I do boss fights, I have a lot of potions active. Shine, nite-owl, archery, swiftness, ironskin, regeneration, thorns, hunter, endurance, lifeforce, wrath, and some kind of food (can't find anything that gives me more than a 'minor' buff). I also have a fireplace and 2 heart statues on a timer.

Yeah, I give myself every advantage I can besides heart lanterns (I kinda figure they would get in the way of me dodging attacks).

If all this isn't enough to take on duke fishron or the dungeon, I honestly don't know what is. I mean seriously, those paladins are more durable that most bosses it seems, even some hard-mode ones!

OK, if you are planning to use ranged go for Chlorophyte Shotbow and Holy Arrows. Of course you will need Shroomite Armor and a Magic Quiver. With potions they can down Golem within less than two mins. You can farm Mimics for Star Cloak, Cross Necklace and Philosopher's Stone, also Daedalus Stormbow from Hallowed Mimics and Dart Pistol from Crimson Mimics are good weapons. About melee, you should make Terra Blade, meaning you MUST kill some Mothrons. You need Turtle Armor for melee. Emblems are also good for increasing damage output. Megashark is pointless when you're dealing with high-defense enemies, and HM Dungeons are full of them. Using a yoyo from a safe spot is a reliable method to kill Paladins, also spamming holy arrows to ground is very good if you manage to keep Paladins(or any monster) above you, the stars from Holy Arrows will do all the work. Fishron, it's easier than Moon Lord, but harder than all others(exclude Frost Moon). Mobility is main key, you should master your maneuver abilities.

And for the last, all this tactics are from my Expert adventure, so you can trust them everytime unless you're doing challenges. :)

In your shoes, I would go back to fighting Golem and/or farming Solar Eclipses for Broken Hero Sword.

The Golem isn't really that hard if you impede it's movement so it doesn't jump on you. Build a 'cage' around the altar to hold it in. Then use your Megashark from a safe distance (you should be able to defeat it with your current equipment). In it's second form, aim for the body (not the flying head). One of the drops will be Beetle Husk's which will eventually let you craft better armor.

Also farm Solar Eclipse's for the Broken Hero Sword. Then you can eventually make Terra Blade which is a hybrid between melee and ranged.

After that, Pumpkin Moon! (your's gonna die alot) :D
For the Raven Staff (summoner) and Bat Sceptre (mage).

If it seems like you're barely doing any damage to Paladins, that's normal. They have insanely high defense and fairly high HP for being normal enemies. One thing to remember with them that makes them significantly easier is that as long as they're taking damage, they won't ever attack. Pretty much any weapon that can provide constant damage (yo-yos, Megashark, Chlorophyte Shotbow, Shadowbeam Staff, ect.) should be good against Paladins because of that.

With blood moons and eclipses, if you're really having that much trouble keeping your base defended, you might want to dig a trench around your base to make sure nothing can get in. About 10 blocks of space all the way around should be enough to keep out pretty much everything, minus Mothrons.

Capture 2016-02-26 15_12_24.png
This is a screenshot I took of part of my base. I was going to take a screenshot of it all, but sadly a bloodmoon started right after I took this pic, while I was trying to figure out the controls.

But as you can see from this one image, I built my house into the side of a mountain. That tunnel up top I made so I wouldn't have to climb over the mountain every time I wanted to go left (the center of the map is to the left). I guess I could cut that off with actuators. You can also see why enemies can get into every floor of my house. On the other side of my house, there is a large lake that literally goes right up to the edge of my house. And yes, I know I might have made the rooms too tall. I've been thinking about lowering the ceilings, but that would require me to basically rebuild my whole house so I've never gotten around to it.

I'll take more photos after the bloodmoon ends, and enemies are done swarming my house and killing all my npcs, again.

Capture 2016-02-26 16_08_09.png

Anyway, now that the carnage is over, here's a view of the upper right corner. Note the huge corridar I have on top of the house, and the position of the front door. I have no idea how I can protect that door without making my house look hideous (well, anymore hideous than it already is).

Capture 2016-02-26 16_08_22.png

And here's the lower right corner, note the demon alter, its the reason why I built my house in the jungle of all places. Anyway, I also have enemies coming up through here. I used to just have a platform as part of the floor so I could just jump in and out, but mobs kept coming up through it so I replaced it with a trapdoor. That one shaft to the right leads to my spore farm (which is now next to my new chlorophyte farm), while the shaft on the left which you can barely see is my hellevator.

Capture 2016-02-26 16_08_37.png

And here's the lower left corner. This should give you an idea on just how big the structure is.

I don't really see anyway I can put a huge gap around my house, considering that is underground and I have other structures (such as my liquid generators and my fishing lake) in the way.

Capture 2016-02-26 16_16_34.png

Decided to take this screenshot just to give you all more of an idea what's to the left of my house. Here you can also see my skybridge and part of my mahogany farm.

Capture 2016-02-26 16_17_30.png

And finally, we get to the mimic farm I made. I normally stand inside this thing holding a water candle. I don't have any storage there bc I got that item that summons a pig for you on my first bloodmoon for this playthrough (yeah, what luck!). Anyway, the reason I'm showing this off is I was thinking of building one on top of my house (probably out of ash). It features an entrance on both sides, made of actuators and pressure plates. The ceiling too is technically a part of it, I designed it to stop slimes from just jumping back and forth over the hole. I hollowed out most of it because drops from worms kept getting stuck inside the walls and I had to remove blocks to retrieve them anyway. And yes, I can go afk with this. Worms often get killed by dart traps (which are actually there just to wake up mimics), and besides that I had starcloak and when I was using it I had orichalum armor.

As for that bloodmoon, I noticed that I was able to kill enemies much more effeciently for some reason, even turtles died a lot faster. The only thing I changed was my armor, guess it must give a really good damage boost. I honestly think I may try to take on the golem again.

Managed to beat the golem, and did so a few times. I did kind of find an upgrade for my weapon: an uzi. Not sure what difference its making though. However, I did upgrade my ammo from cursed bullets, to poison bullets or w/e they're called. The wiki claims that they're the second best bullets in the game, followed only by lumminite bullets or something. Thinking about going to do the dungeon now.

And since I made those photos, I decided to expand my storage area to the right (I needed more chests).

Still not sure how to defend my house. I guess I could remove those doors on the side, since honestly I rarely use them anyway. That would prevent enemies from getting into the lower floors at least. Maybe I should replace the platforms leading into the greenhouse with trapdoors too. After that, only wraiths and goblin sorcerers can get into the lower floors at least. Still trying to figure out a way to keep the wraiths out.

Uzi is about the same if not worse than the Megashark, I thought.

All of the things you're describing can feasibly be beaten by Megashark and Crystal Bullets, or Chlorophyte if you're feeling rich. From here a nice bullet weapon is the Tactical Shotgun from the Hardmode Dungeon, an amazing weapon when combined with Chlorophyte Bullets, the Stynger, an equally as amazing explosive weapon dropped from the Golem, and post Golem you can acquire the Electrosphere Launcher and Xenopopper from the Martians, which are always very nice to have.

As for house defense, a wood platform on the inside of the door should be enough, since it stops the door from swinging inward. Wraiths can be warded from by destroying the ground around the house, as Wraiths travel similarly to worms, in that they need blocks to "swim" through.

Uzi has better knock-back, and each shot hits harder, which makes it better against heavily armored mobs (like paladins).

I did venture into the dungeon. Killed a few mobs, but I had to retreat after my health nearly bottomed out. Strangely enough, I didn't meet any paladins, though I did meet a lot of those necromancers, who have to be by far the most annoying mobs in the game, seriously. I think they were what got my health so low.

And no, I didn't get any useful loot, just 4 ectoplasms, which apparently isn't enough to craft anything. Oh well.

And I got a pirate invasion, wow these events come up so much.

I think I'll remove the doors on the left side of my house, at least that'll keep them from getting into all the floors. Also thinking about using actuators to cut off access to my house, but the problem is then I wouldn't be able to get in and out. I'd need to wire it up so I could lock down the house from the outside.

And the mobs in these events aren't really giving me problems anymore, though I'm still afraid to try something like the pumpkin moon or frostmoon. And btw, I met a bunch of these blue-robed guys outside the dungeon. They didn't attack me, but I couldn't talk to them either. My armor was attacking some glowing yellow disc they were worshipping, but I couldn't damage it. No idea what I'm supposed to do with those guys. I just walked past them into the dungeon.

And right now, I'm trying to farm chlorophyte so I can build shroom armor. Honestly though, I'm liking the ability on my chlorophyte set. I think I'll be reluctant to get rid of it.

These guys are the cultists. If you kill them, the Ancient Cultist will spawn which will activate the Lunar Events. I suggest to avoid attacking them until you're really prepared.

I think it'd be good for you to upgrade into Shroomite Armor. It will make your ranged weapons MUCH more powerful. For ranged weapons, you could farm in the dungeon for a Tactical Shotgun (decent and constant damage, very good against bosses) or a Sniper Rifle (deals extreme single-bullet damage, can reach over 1000 DMG with stealth). Yo-yo's such as Kraken are will keep mobs away if you manage to get it. It's also a good weapon for Paladin's. The Shadowbeam Staff's ricochet ability might help too.

When I played my first ranger playtrough, I fought Duke Fishron with a Stynger. It's not a common use, but let's be honest, it's really effective against it. Explosives from this weapon deal really good damage to this boss, but you'll need to have good aim to make it work. If you're playing Expert Mode, it might be a problem in the third phase. During it it'd be wise to switch to a better, homing weapon (such as Possessed Hatchet).

Tsunami is something you'd be looking for if you want to complete the Pumpkin and Frost Moons. With a simple arena, the Tsunami bow, venom arrows and several buffs, I managed to complete both moons. Try it.

Came up with a few ways to defend my house. I remember something I used to do, where I would put actuators in a wall and wire them to pressure plates to make a door that mobs couldn't open. So I did that with the tunnel, and the 'door's to my greenhouse. I was still sitting there pondering what else I could do to protect my npcs when a bloodmoon started. It actually went a lot better. Not as many mobs were able to get into my house, and the few that did (through those doors on the left side of my house) were easily handled by my npcs. I found a lot of coins and lenses laying around when I went back through my house the next morning.

As for what I was planning to do? I was thinking of putting traps along that corridor on top of my house, probably a lava pit or possibly even spike or ball traps. And one thing I noticed was that mobs appeared to actually be spawning in the area to the left of my house! I actually got ambushed by turtles a few times, that came from the left in that corridor! Perhaps I need to put actual walls in that section. I also closed off an empty space under the lake, because mobs were spawning in there and getting stuck.

And I met a new mob that didn't seem to work right: it was like some kind of miniature flying saucer. I killed two, but they didn't drop anything, not even coins. I'm kinda scared as to what I may have triggered by killing those.

:red:ing great, now my game's ruined so I can't play it anymore.

Suddenly got a new random event: martian invasion. It endlessly spawns enemies that are nigh impossible to defeat, and keeps spawning this stupid flying saucer thing that one-shots me with a single attack! I can't win, I've been sitting for here for AN HOUR killing mobs that won't stop coming, and I've died so many times the game can't even place anymore tomb stones bc its run out of room!!!!

I don't know how to stop this, I can't deal with it, hell I can't even leave my own house without dying bc that damned saucer just comes in and one-shots me before I can even get over to the nurse to heal!!!!!

And I'm playing this game to relax, not get slaughtered by an endless swarm of BOSS MONSTERS, that literally never stop coming.

Last edited:
Re-logged into the game, just in case me shutting the game off canceled the event. Nope! So my game is ruined, I can't play it anymore because the stupid game is spawning a literally endless wave of enemies that are seriously harder to kill than the eye of cthulhu.

Weird, I don't think it should be one shotting you. The big laser is the most damaging thing and it does around 200 damage in expert mode with no defense, so I think you're exaggerating a bit. The trick is use an attack that can go through walls: During a grace period with no Saucers in it, try to build yourself a ceiling, since the Martian Deathray does not pierce through blocks. Kill the 4 turrets of the Martian Saucer with the weapon of your choice, it shouldn't be TOO bad if your nurse is still alive. After this use a yoyo/possessed hatchet/chlorophyte bullets/bounced shadowbeam staff/inferno fork/spectre staff/anything that can attack the Saucer from under your ceiling.

I manage to end it finally. And even killed that damned saucer. But I didn't fight it. I have no weapons that can be shot through blocks, and the closest thing to a summon I had was a bee gun, which did virtually nothing.

What I had to do was wire up my trapped corridor to a 1-sec timer (I originally it all wired to yellow pressure plates), and positioned myself so it would fly through the corridor. It took forever, but I did manage to kill it, and got some sort of gun that doesn't fire bullets.

And btw, that thing killed every single npc in my house except for the nurse, who it turns out has insanely fast regeneration. And guess what, shortly after the stupid martian finally ended, the sun set, and I got another freaking bloodmoon. I just hid in my house and let my traps kill everything, bc I was just flat out sick of fighting. I expended over 10 stacks of bullets (999 in each stack), blew all of my boss-fighting potions (I keep them stacked to 20), and now I have to re-assign all my npcs to the rooms they were in originally. And I can't do any fishing quests, because of course my fisherman npc died, and for some reason he hasn't respawned yet.

That was NOT fun. I'm so sick of fighting I can't even stand to play the game right now. That was just beyond ridiculous.

Now, I think you just need to this thing: Farming Hallowed Mimics for Daedalus Stormbow. :) And farm some Holy Arrows and build an arena for Martians. Then guess what?
REVENGE FROM MARTIANS! :)

I manage to end it finally. And even killed that damned saucer. But I didn't fight it. I have no weapons that can be shot through blocks, and the closest thing to a summon I had was a bee gun, which did virtually nothing.

What I had to do was wire up my trapped corridor to a 1-sec timer (I originally it all wired to yellow pressure plates), and positioned myself so it would fly through the corridor. It took forever, but I did manage to kill it, and got some sort of gun that doesn't fire bullets.

And btw, that thing killed every single npc in my house except for the nurse, who it turns out has insanely fast regeneration. And guess what, shortly after the stupid martian finally ended, the sun set, and I got another freaking bloodmoon. I just hid in my house and let my traps kill everything, bc I was just flat out sick of fighting. I expended over 10 stacks of bullets (999 in each stack), blew all of my boss-fighting potions (I keep them stacked to 20), and now I have to re-assign all my npcs to the rooms they were in originally. And I can't do any fishing quests, because of course my fisherman npc died, and for some reason he hasn't respawned yet.

That was NOT fun. I'm so sick of fighting I can't even stand to play the game right now. That was just beyond ridiculous.

No Chlorophyte Bullets? You don't need to shoot through any walls, only around them. A small ceiling is all you need for the final phase of the Saucer.

Paladin is not difficult to fight is you know how: Hook on the roof and use a "ranged" weapon, paladins cannot throw hammers when getting hurt, and cannot jump very high.

For healing, if you played expert, the Shiny Stone would be helpful.

Also, try some solar eclipse, the Death Sickle would be very helpful.

And I just :red:ed up my own game. This is getting stupid.

I decided to put dirt walls in the pond next to my house to stop enemies spawning down there during bloodmoons. Well, apparently, that means it no longer counts as a jungle lake, aka, I have no way to complete this quest the angler just gave me.

:red: this, I quit. I'm beyond sick of things going wrong. And this time, I have no way to fix what I just did bc there's no way to craft mud walls for w/e reason, even though they exist in-game.

This game was only good when it was first released. Now, the game's just stupid worthless garbage.

And I just :red:ed up my own game. This is getting stupid.

I decided to put dirt walls in the pond next to my house to stop enemies spawning down there during bloodmoons. Well, apparently, that means it no longer counts as a jungle lake, aka, I have no way to complete this quest the angler just gave me.

:red: this, I quit. I'm beyond sick of things going wrong. And this time, I have no way to fix what I just did bc there's no way to craft mud walls for w/e reason, even though they exist in-game.

This game was only good when it was first released. Now, the game's just stupid worthless garbage.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, don't call something bad just because you did something wrong.
All you have to do is be prepared for anything in Terrraria and you'll be fine!

Back
Top Bottom