Console Where do you get your building ideas from?

ArticReaper

Official Terrarian
So as the Title says.

Where do you get your building ideas from? Do you come up with them your self or do you see other peoples work and work with what they have done?

Me personally. I can not come up with my own stuff very well. So I'm more of a copy person. I'm just not very creative to make my own stuff. Would love to be but yeah.

What about everyone else here?

Depends on what I am aiming for in a build, when it is just decoration I try and have a certain overall theme that I can always fall back against if I get stuck on the aesthetics of the building.
On the other hand, if its a technical build in the likes of arenas/farms/anything that requires wire-management and technical know-how. I try to look up if someone has build it already, no point of re-inventing the wheel.

As with anything one creates be it a philosophical question to a mechanical object, you get ideas and inspiration from others and your surroundings. A good way to nurture ones creativity, is to copy other peoples work. So I would say that you are right on the track for coming up with something you can call "your very own".

Depends on what I am aiming for in a build, when it is just decoration I try and have a certain overall theme that I can always fall back against if I get stuck on the aesthetics of the building.
On the other hand, if its a technical build in the likes of arenas/farms/anything that requires wire-management and technical know-how. I try to look up if someone has build it already, no point of re-inventing the wheel.

As with anything one creates be it a philosophical question to a mechanical object, you get ideas and inspiration from others and your surroundings. A good way to nurture ones creativity, is to copy other peoples work. So I would say that you are right on the track for coming up with something you can call "your very own".

Well I have tried heaps to do my own thing. So far I have started a new world again. And I'm gonna build like a little town but with everything. Farms and all that stuff. I have at the moment a big section flattened, And a Water Fountain set up as well as a like sewer underneath the town.

But I'm just getting stuck on how this is all gonna get built. I'm more of a copy person I find than a come up with my own idea. But that been said this is what I have got so far.

Edit - I just learned how to do the spoiler thing, Edited again so pictures show

Screenshot-Original6.png
Screenshot-Original4.png

Last edited:
The sewer part is a great idea, in a co-buildt world me and my friends buildt a victorian themed town with sewers underneath it to work as a quick access tunnel and cemetery for our gravestones.

The sewer part is a great idea, in a co-buildt world me and my friends buildt a victorian themed town with sewers underneath it to work as a quick access tunnel and cemetery for our gravestones.

Ahhh k well at the moment you spawn inside the Fountain and take the Portal out to a house. At least that is what I have in mind at the moment. I'm just trying to work out what else to build, And how to build these houses. I'm a basic person as well. Square house with just rooms in it. I have never learnt how to do that fancy stuff with houses or anything.

This is what I mean.
Screenshot-Original8.png

That is as good as it gets for creative with my own idea ;-;

Edited So picture shows

Last edited:
Haha, I love your lava trap door! There is nothing wrong with square housing I myself do that as well.

This is the sewer section for my small town that I mentioned, I still havent worked out which type of blocks and background would be best. But you get the idea. :)
ter sewer.png

out of curiosity, what system do you use? I'm a builder too (mostly a copier), and i was wondering if i could friend you if you use playstation 3 or 4. also i need people to join my "all out war" event for playstation, currently i have none and i really don't want to close it down. as for building stuff, i use the internet to find a build for my idea and base it off of that, making some differences here and there. my main world has Biome based crystals, in a crimson world, a red one in the crimson, a yellow one in the desert, a purple one in the jungle, a green one in the forest, a white one in the ice, a blue one deep in the ocean, and i giant rainbow one in a castle near the center of the world.

Haha, I love your lava trap door! There is nothing wrong with square housing I myself do that as well.

This is the sewer section for my small town that I mentioned, I still havent worked out which type of blocks and background would be best. But you get the idea. :)

Yeah see I like the way you have yours set up. That background with that wooden beams looks great to me. And the way you have your houses. I would never have thought of doing something like that. I look at that the think. Why can't I be that good at building on here XD I'm very jelly of your set up.

out of curiosity, what system do you use? I'm a builder too (mostly a copier), and i was wondering if i could friend you if you use playstation 3 or 4. also i need people to join my "all out war" event for playstation, currently i have none and i really don't want to close it down. as for building stuff, i use the internet to find a build for my idea and base it off of that, making some differences here and there. my main world has Biome based crystals, in a crimson world, a red one in the crimson, a yellow one in the desert, a purple one in the jungle, a green one in the forest, a white one in the ice, a blue one deep in the ocean, and i giant rainbow one in a castle near the center of the world.

I play on Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Mainly Xbox One now because it has the zoom in and out feature which is brilliant if you ask me.

yeah that does make it hard, by the way, if you like playing online but don't like PSplus, like me, do not get a ps4. you need to pay to play online, it's not fair. it's one of those situations where, "I paid so much for this system, why do I have to pay even more just to play with my friends?"

yeah that does make it hard, by the way, if you like playing online but don't like PSplus, like me, do not get a ps4. you need to pay to play online, it's not fair. it's one of those situations where, "I paid so much for this system, why do I have to pay even more just to play with my friends?"

Xbox360 and Xbox One has it so you have to pay to play online with friends. I'm fine with it to be honest. Tho I did laugh at the Ps4 people when they were like "Oh ps4 won't have that because its playstation" And then it did. It was quite funny.

So I changed my sewer thing. After seeing yours I had a brainfart (My partner calls them that) And I come up with this

Screenshot-Original7.png

Edit: Made it so Image is viewable now

Last edited:
I try to build houses and or structures based on things I have seen and ideas I get while gathering supplies, I often start by laying out a outline of what I plan to build before replacing/changing the design to be better. While I'm not the best builder I try and a few builds turned out nice.

Back
Top Bottom