Why I despise Mediumcore

ppowersteef

Paladin
Note: This is just a vent, I'm not asking for a change or suggestion, as it's been in game for too long. I just wanted to let these thoughts loose.

Of the three character death penalties you can have, I find mediumcore always the worst pick.

Character difficulities were introduced in 1.0, back then, Mediumcore was actually pretty fine, because progress wasn't only based on items, but also heart crystals and mana.

I know that you'll lose all your gear in Minecraft as well once you die, but even then, that gear is usually possible to retrieve back because your mobility in Minecraft remains the same, regardless of progression.
In Terraria however, you advance in mobility really early and fast. with hermes boots and a cloud in a bottle you've a huge mobility already, you don't have these stuff anymore once you die in mediumcore. But if you got 400 health, you can really do fine by retrieving your gear back without worrying too much in pre-hardmode.

But then, 1.1 hardmode happened. and 2 more major progress updates happened after 1.1
And for all progress updates counts that you progress with better items. Almost your entire progression in hardmode is about getting better items, with the only exception is life fruit, which adds a mere 100 hp to your total. If you run through the caves with less equipment than you used to, then you can have some really hard time retrieving your gear back, and you'll end up in a visual cycle:

> You died > You buy/make the necessary gear to try to get your stuff back > Your gear isn't as strong as you used to and the risk of dying is likely even higher >

and the cycle starts over if you die again, only losing more items and adding up more frustration each time you die. But you HAVE to get your gear back or otherwise everything is lost if you close your world.
To not even speak of EXPERT MODE! where all enemies have double strength and makes the weaker enemies even more powerful as you progress!

And what about the Invasions itself? if you die, you've to get your gear back naked in the fire of an invasion. And once you retrieve your gear, it'll only be a mess to set up and order everything in your hotbar and equipments again before you're finally ready to fight. Better hope for you that you're dealing with a temporary invasion, or else this cycle is never-ending. (I'm looking at you, Pirates, Martians and Celestials)

Hardmode isn't made for mediumcore, and none of the invasions are either.
Of course, the best method to deal with it is to not die at all, but if that's your intention, then why won't you choose for hardcore right away?
I'll rather prefer the mourning of the character loss right away, than all the frustration and an hour long of trying to get my gear back, only to give up at the end.

Sorry if this kind of negativity became unexpected from me, these thoughts have been stuck for a while and I wanted to let these go.

-------

So as conclusion: Please don't pick Mediumcore because it sounds safer than Hardcore.
Because at the end, it would be much more frustrating to deal with the deaths than it is to die a single time.

Last edited:
I kinda agree with that. The only time I used Mediumcore was when I was still a newbie in the game and I went up to Hardmode and once I died in a spider nest somewhere deep underground. It was back in 1.2.4 when the "X" marks didn't exist, so I completely lost my loot. After this I pretty much gave up on the run because retrieving some items is sometimes impossible.

Back
Top Bottom