Why is fishing so fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of torn on fishing myself. I like that it adds some functionality to the water throughout the world (which usually just functions as priahnnas spawning or as an annoying hazard during mining), but it can be frustrating when the line just randomly breaks (just because there is an item to fix it doesn't mean it's not a problem) and it can be very annoying trying to find bait. If I could buy bait, even at a bit of a ludicrous price for decent bait, I'd be a bit more inclined to fish; but currently, I can't vouch for doing it past doing angler quests. I really want a Pigron mount on my current character, but I'm down to 3 bait, and I'm not sure I have the patience to sit there with a sonar potion on hoping I don't blink when the truffle pops up. I think adding fishing was a great idea conceptually, I think it just needs to be updated a bit in the next patch for it to be a solid feature.

Fishing is somewhat boring and unfitting for a fast-paced game such as Terraria. I'd prefer for it to be more exciting by, for example, pulling up and accidentally activating the fuse of Dynamite.

Fishing quests, on the other hand, is probably the second most stupid grind in this game (only beaten by the WoF emblem grind).

if find it boring, and baits are hard to find.

Battle Potion + Water Candle = subsequent events of this:

2014-10-13_00011.jpg

I count 27 fireflies there and there must have been a little bit more off-screen.

Fishing isn't too bad in this game. Hell of a lot better than Minecraft, that's for sure.
I dunno, Minecraft recently updated fishing so it's a lot clearer when you have a fish. And at the moment, fishing in Terraria serves no real useful purpose other than summoning Duke Fishron.

At least in MineCraft every fish you catch is useful for something you actually want (y'know, because hunger).

Personally, I enjoy fishing in both games. I feel like Terraria's fishing doesn't really serve a purpose but I like to chill with a line in the water anyway.

It's an odd feeling of Zen to cut out all the adventuring and exploring and violence just to sit still for a bit and fish. S'not everyone's thing, but it's mine.

I dunno, Minecraft recently updated fishing so it's a lot clearer when you have a fish. And at the moment, fishing in Terraria serves no real useful purpose other than summoning Duke Fishron.

At least in MineCraft every fish you catch is useful for something you actually want (y'know, because hunger).
Oh, I didn't know they updated fishing in Minecraft. Haven't played that game in a few months. I just like fishing better in Terraria because there's a lot more to it with all the different rods you find and make, finding different baits in the world, all the different fish to catch, the angler NPC sending you to certain areas to fish, the rewards you get, and it introduced new potions with certain fish being the ingredients. In Minecraft it's always been just catching the same fish and then cooking it to eat it.

I guess now I think about it much deeper, fishing can bring challenges to the player, and I really like challenges. As well as that, these quests are rewarding and just get you hot on your heels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom