Xbox 360 Why is the Pumpkin Moon so hard?

Nutella Fairy

Skeletron Prime
Here's my setup: A deep, long massiv trench, with a house to respawn in, campfires, and little platforms on top to stand on. My entire trench is filled with traps, that activate every second. I use a ranged setup, with full shroomite armor. I have a Hoverboard, Spectre Boots, Sniper Scope, Ranger Emblem, and Cobalt shield. For the beginning of the event I switch to the rocket Helm and fire my Stynger down at the enemies below, while the traps are ruthlessly murdering them. As soon as Mourning Wood cums I switch to bullet Helm, and shoot my Unreal Tactical Shotgun with chlorophyte bullets at him. As soon as Pumpking comes, I die over and over again. I's just Pumpking. The only thing I got there was the Jackolantern Launcher, which kinda sucks, TBH... I think the main problem is that I'm using the wrong gun. I got rid of my Uzi and Megashark, because Uzi took too much ammo and Megashark didn't deal much damage. And I can't get the Tsunami because i'm on console.

I would reccomend using the Tsunami loaded up with a Magic Quiver and Venom Arrows. Those things absolutely melt any boss.

Edit: I can't read

Idk man, I would just study up on the Pumpking's attack patterns and learn how to dodge them. You're fully prepared with near-optimal equipment, so the only thing missing is skill.

Here are a couple ideas that you may already have implemented, not sure. But since you've got such nice gear it's little things that may make the difference.
  • Add some lava to your trench for extra damage. Make sure that there is a spot for them to spawn still (they won't spawn on lava).
  • Switch to spear traps that are actuated off and powered to activate at different times. (Assuming you're currently using spiky ball or flame traps. Not sure if you are.)
  • Add a heart lantern and a little bit of honey. You mentioned you had campfires. Put the honey off to the side and dip into it for a second (jump in, jump out) every so often to get some extra regen going.
  • Reforge all accessories to menacing for extra damage.
  • Potions. Not everybody loves to make and chomp on potions as much as I do, but they can be the easiest thing to give you that extra edge up. Pumpkin pie. Ironskin. Thorns. Regeneration.
  • Possibly try switching out an accessory for an Avenger Emblem and/or Moon Stone for more damage.
  • If you haven't already, see how crystal or exploding bullets work out for you versus chlor bullets.

I don't play console versions, so I don't know what exists and what not, but if you have those and your world is Crimson, you could use Vampire Knives with a Flask Of Ichor. Decreasing the enemy's defense makes your weapons more effective and their life regen will keep you alive, but for this you'll need Turtle Armor to increase meele damage (Beetle Armor doesn't exist in console versions if I recall correctly). Use some accessories to increase damage and critical chance. Lava Traps and big holes are good for non-flying enemies. With this you could toss them into a pit and throw bombs or rockets to defeat large amounts of them. For Pumpking I suggest fighting on a skybridge, as it's large and it can throw these fire scythes. Keep shooting him with a quick gun, a good projectile weapon (like Terra Blade). If you've made your arena out of explosive-resistant blocks, tossing bombs and dynamites would hurt large amount of enemies.

You could make Spectre Armor (I dunno if the hood one exists in mobile versions, but it has very low defense compared to the PC one) and if you get low on life, use the hood one and try to attack a lot of enemies at once with a good, piercing magic weapon.

When you fight Pumpking, you need to dodge him a lot. Fly in circles to avoid his attacks. I suggest some good wings, because the Hoverboard has lower vertical speed if I recall correctly. A Swiftness Potion would help too. Bring also a lot of potions - Regeneration, Ironskin, Thorns, Magic Power, Mana Regeneration, etc. The PC version has some more useful potions (Lifeforce, Heartreach, etc.), but with good gear and a good arena it should work well.

(Sorry if something doesn't exist. I don't have an X360, just the PC version).

1. Honestly, in THIS moon event, Spectre Boots aren't worth it because Hoverboard provides sufficient mobility. I would probably equip a Celestial Stone instead.
2. Upgrade the Cobalt Shield to Obsidian Shield (very easy; all you need is obsidian). And then, you might want to upgrade that to Ankh Shield, though it's a lot of work.
3. You should be using AT LEAST something that gives you the Well Fed buff (i.e., Pumpkin Pie, Cooked Marshmallow, etc.)
4. It seems like you don't have enough defense, so try to get some Warding accessories.
5. A Heart Lantern might help (requires a Heart Crystal) for more health regeneration.

Great news. The Chain Gun is mega fun. Glad you got a good drop to help you progress further. :)

I found Pumpking to be a lot easier than its 'Mourning Wood' predecessors. All you have to do is fly in a large circle and avoid his main slicer. The problem for me isn't staying alive but rather killing him before the sun comes up.

I found Pumpking to be a lot easier than its 'Mourning Wood' predecessors. All you have to do is fly in a large circle and avoid his main slicer. The problem for me isn't staying alive but rather killing him before the sun comes up.
Are you using the Vampire Knives?

Back
Top Bottom