PC [Win10] How to make the game ignore unwanted controller inputs?

TechniKris

Wall of Flesh
Hey, I've got an unusual problem.
I have an Xbox360 Xplorer Guitar Controller, (Wikipedia, Pic). I play a Guitar Hero-style game a lot so I keep it always plugged in.
As an Xbox360 guitar it uses the Xbox360 controller drivers, causing it to be picked up by Terraria as a viable controller. The problem is that it has a tilt detector. Because of that, if the controller is in any position, even laying on a flat surface, the axis is off-center, making it continously take over the game controls. This ended up in mouse disappearing in the main menu and completely losing control in-game.

I'm looking for a way to avoid unplugging and plugging in the guitar controller every time I switch activities, it's pretty annoying... (I plug it into the rear-facing USB ports, which are difficult to access; I can't afford to take up any of my front-facing ports)
I thought about making Terraria ignore the inputs of the controller, to let the keyboard control the player. If there's something I can do, I'd really appreciate your help! :pinky:

A side note: if you have multiple Xbox360 controllers plugged into the PC, only one is picked up by Terraria. And when I have the guitar and standard controller, the guitar takes over...:dryadwhat: (Yes, I selected the standard one as the preffered gaming controller device)

Also, here's a vid of the issue! (Youtube) First it's just keyboard+mouse / standard controller working fine, at 1:12 I plug in the guitar and try doing stuff, at 3:08 I unplug it and it comes back to normal

Clearly the game wants you to do a guitar hero run, you should probably just give in.

All joking aside could you upload your "input profiles.json" for me? It's located in \Documents\My Games\Terraria. I want to try and see if I can disable controller input all together.

Sure, here is the file. Is it possible to be achieved from the settings alone? I didn't really try changing anything there besides switching to Playstation setup for controllers.

If I could tame the tilt I'd love to attempt at least surviving a night on a guitar :dryadtongue:

Attachments

• input profiles.json
    17.8 KB · Views: 80
I don't believe this will end up working since this is just the profiles and not controller detection itself... In case it does though here is the edited file. Just replace your "input_profiles.json" with the one I uploaded. If it doesn't work out, just redownload the one you uploaded and replace it again to revert back to normal.

If that doesn't work out you may end up just needing to unplug the controller when playing Terraria.

Attachments

• input profiles.json
    3.6 KB · Views: 94
Nope, unfortunately it didn't fix it. I just tried turning all deadzones to 100% though, it made menus usable with mouse and allowed me to move normally in-game, but the in-game cursor is still doing some funny business. Apparently whammy up/down is right analog left/right respectively.

I guess I'll have to deal with plugging in and unplugging it :dryadsad:
I appreciate your help though :dryadpassionate:

I also face the same kind of problem when I Play Guitar Hero. To solve the problem, I took these steps:

1. Reconfigure controller settings: In Terraria, check for any options to configure or disable specific controllers. Look for a settings menu where you can manually select the preferred controller or disable specific inputs. This might help prevent the guitar controller from taking over the game controls.
  2. Disable the tilt detector: If there is no in-game option to disable the controller inputs, you could disable the tilt detector feature of the guitar controller. Refer to the manual or documentation of the controller to find instructions on how to disable the tilt detection.
  3. Use third-party software: Various third-party software applications are available that allow you to remap and customize controller inputs. You can use one of these software to configure the guitar controller inputs to be ignored by Terraria. Some popular options include JoyToKey, Xpadder, or Steam's built-in controller configuration.
  4. Unplug other Xbox360 controllers: Since Terraria prioritizes the first Xbox360 controller detected, try unplugging any other Xbox360 controllers connected to your PC. Having only the guitar controller connected might prevent conflicts and ensure that it is the primary controller recognized by Terraria.
Experiment with these solutions and find the best one for your specific setup.

Back
Top Bottom