Game Mechanics World altering monoliths

Normaliser and Static Monoliths - which would you prefer?

• Normaliser Monolith available early hardmode

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Normaliser Monolith available late hardmode

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Static Monolith affects spreading biomes only

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Static Monolith affects everything that can grow

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Sigma90

Brain of Cthulhu
This has been sitting on my disk for a while. Rather than let it go to waste, I've decided to post it as a WIP. Perhaps it will help with inspiration in others or the devs, or perhaps these features would be welcomed.

Halloween Monolith
Crafted: 1x Spooky Twig + 30x Pumpkin at Orichalcum/Mythril Anvil
When active, the world is set to Halloween mode regardless of the computer's date. All Halloween effects are applied, including:
  • Pumpkins can grow in grass naturally
  • Halloween items are sold by NPCs
  • Halloween-only enemies (including Ghost, Hoppin' Jack and Raven) spawn
  • Enemies have a chance to drop Goodie Bags, Bladed Gloves and Bloody Machetes
While active, the moon is changed to the Pumpkin Moon graphic to show it is active.

Christmas Monolith
Crafted: 40x Pine Block at Orichalcum/Mythril Anvil
Everscream will now drop Pine Blocks in addition to its other drops.
When active, the world is set to Christmas mode regardless of the computer's date. All Christmas effects are applied, including:
  • Santa Claus can spawn and survive
  • Christmas items are sold by NPCs
  • Christmas-only enemies / critters spawn
  • Enemies have a chance to drop Presents
When active, the moon is changed to the Frost Moon graphic to show it is active. The Christmas and Halloween Monoliths CAN'T both be active at the same time. Activating one cancels the other. They can be active with other Monoliths.

Normaliser Monolith
Crafted: 10x Soul of Night + 10x Soul of Light + 5x Cobalt/Palladium Bar at Iron/Lead Anvil (to make it possible to craft very early in hardmode - I prefer this one)
OR: 3x each Fragment at Ancient Manipulator (to restrict it to very late at hardmode)
When active, the world is set to normal mode. No hardmode effects are present.
  • Hardmode enemies will not spawn
  • Spreading biomes can't spread through blocks (but can still spread through grass, which is a normal mode behaviour)
  • Altars cannot be smashed
  • Souls of Light/Night and Biome Keys will not drop
  • Life Fruit and Plantera's Bulbs will not grow. Breaking existing ones does nothing.
  • Pirate Invasions and hardmode bosses will not appear naturally

Static Monolith (Need a better name)
Crafted: 4x Luminite Bar
When active, spreading biomes stop spreading. This affects Corruption, Crimson and Hallow.
OR: In addition to the above: mushrooms, flowers, Chlorophyte, cacti, grass, vines, etc. all stop growing. (This would make the world truly static.)

It beats changing the time on my computer.

The normaliser one should be available early hardmode in case that one WoF drop you were relying on for hardmode hasn't popped up. Plus hardmode enemies are significantly more powerful, letting you prepare would be a good thing.

The normaliser one should be available early hardmode in case that one WoF drop you were relying on for hardmode hasn't popped up. Plus hardmode enemies are significantly more powerful, letting you prepare would be a good thing.
That was my thinking as well. I've had a few issues with hardmode myself. The first being that I was not prepared and a Pirate Invasion put me in an endless spawn-die loop. I've also experienced the WoF not dropping a Pwnhammer. If you don't have a back up of your world to restore, then there aren't many options aside from using a world editor or abandoning the world.

That was my thinking as well. I've had a few issues with hardmode myself. The first being that I was not prepared and a Pirate Invasion put me in an endless spawn-die loop. I've also experienced the WoF not dropping a Pwnhammer. If you don't have a back up of your world to restore, then there aren't many options aside from using a world editor or abandoning the world.
Uh, wouldn't fishing or a second fight be an option?

Pirate invasions are triggered by smashing an altar.

You know, there should be a timer before pirates/goblins/martians just get bored and leave. 3 days? That way you can just hide somewhere.

Uh, wouldn't fishing or a second fight be an option?

Pirate invasions are triggered by smashing an altar.

You know, there should be a timer before pirates/goblins/martians just get bored and leave. 3 days? That way you can just hide somewhere.
Not sure how fishing is an option? (Assuming you mean a replacement for the Pwnhammer.) I can't remember why I didn't do a second fight against WoF, but it was probably due to difficulty with what I had the time.
The Crimson generated very close to my spawn point, so I was able to quickly smash some altars. That resulted in a Pirate Invasion occurring on the second (in-game) day of hardmode. Arrows and bullets doing 100+ damage to me and the Night's Edge doing scratch damage to pirates.

I've always thought Pirate Invasion should be gated behind beating a mech boss, but your idea of an timer is also a good one and will cover Goblins and Martians equally well. Maybe a player death could add +10% to the completion or each in-game hour adds +1% or something. I dunno. :)

Not sure how fishing is an option? (Assuming you mean a replacement for the Pwnhammer.) I can't remember why I didn't do a second fight against WoF, but it was probably due to difficulty with what I had the time.
The Crimson generated very close to my spawn point, so I was able to quickly smash some altars. That resulted in a Pirate Invasion occurring on the second (in-game) day of hardmode. Arrows and bullets doing 100+ damage to me and the Night's Edge doing scratch damage to pirates.

I've always thought Pirate Invasion should be gated behind beating a mech boss, but your idea of an timer is also a good one and will cover Goblins and Martians equally well. Maybe a player death could add +10% to the completion or each in-game hour adds +1% or something. I dunno. :)
Get some crate potions, some good bait, and a decent rod and you can fish up the proper metals. Probably take a while but it's safe. Or so I've heard, I don't like going after bait.

I'll make a thread about the invasion progress thing later on.

Fairly interesting. This allows people to get seasonal stuffs without having to mess around with the clock. Static Monolith is also very useful for people want to Purify the world and don't want an instant solution.

One question: What if you have 2 in the same world? Does it block you from using the second one, or if one's activated, the rest is also activated too?

I could get behind some of these. I was thinking, though, that there should be a range limitation for the static biome monolith. It would be a bit over powered if it just stopped all biome spreading.

One question: What if you have 2 in the same world? Does it block you from using the second one, or if one's activated, the rest is also activated too?
Only the Halloween and Christmas monoliths would cancel each other out. (Or maybe only the most recently activated one is enabled, similar to the existing monoliths.)
Aside from that pair, all proposed and existing monoliths would work fine in conjunction. (Including those proposed by other users, such as for replicating blood moon, solar eclipse and the Moon Lord battle.)

It would be a bit over powered if it just stopped all biome spreading.
Could you please elaborate on why it would be OP? I personally think it would be fine (it doesn't cleanse anything, only stops it spreading). But it's always nice to hear others' opinions!

Okay. I play mobile, so I would not know what Lunar monoliths are.
Ah, OK.
Currently they (and my suggestion) are PC only, but 505 Games has indicated a desire to bring parts of PC 1.3 to mobile/console - refer the announcement. Possibly the Lunar Monoliths will be added. Maybe the devs will add my suggestions to PC. And then maybe it'll be ported to console/mobile. :)

Could you please elaborate on why it would be OP? I personally think it would be fine (it doesn't cleanse anything, only stops it spreading). But it's always nice to hear others' opinions!
I don't know. Thinking about it now I must have misinterpreted what the monolith did. In my mind I interpreted it as functioning sort of like a clentaminator, where it just cleans up the crimson/corruption in the world.

Back
Top Bottom