Is this a good suggestion?

• YES (Both Suggestions)

• Sure (Suggestion 1 Only)

• Sure (Suggestion 2 Only)

• NOPE (You do not want it) *cough* chicken

Results are only viewable after voting.

_vulpes

Skeletron Prime
Now, let me start by saying - it's easy to cheese achievements. I mean, just download a all-item map and defeat Moon Lord and *BOOM* cheesed achievement.
I want to propose a new way to prevent cheesing like this in Terraria.

World-lock;
Once you make a player and join a world, your player can only be in that world. Your player cannot move between worlds, and this is totally a option. However,
I feel this should be the only way to earn achievements. World-locking is probably the best way to prevent the "cheese" of achievements so it has to be absolutely
legit.

Hardmode SHOULD be harder:
Here's suggest number two, Hard mode should be locked between Medium core and Hard core. If you want to go to the extreme, this could be the only way to
unlock achievements, or at least have one or two achievements specifically designed for hard mode so you're not only doing it for new items, but achievement hunters
will look more forward to this.

Why do you care about Terraria achievements at all anyway? There are barely any achievements that are actually any challenge anyway, with the only ones that you have to go out of your way to get being the tedious fishing ones, frost legion, getting wave 15 on the moons, and fight all 3 mechs at once. None of which, by the way, are very difficult with post-moon lord or even lunar pillar tier gear.

World lock is kind of not needed, characters and worlds have been separated for a reason, and this kills multiplayer quite effectively, I might add. There is more to multiplayer than just playing a progression of Terraria but with multiple people, and this would lock it to just that.

Hardmode being locked to the harder cores is also a bad idea, it's not like the game should lock content from you because you don't want to try over and over to get to your death spot after you die. It's not like the item dropping on death laden Minecraft, since you're only intended to have 1 set of everything in Terraria, and you can tell, based on how difficult it is to craft things in Terraria compared to Minecraft.

S1: I see no point of world-lock, you can create a new character, get a full-item world and use the character to cheese the achievements anyway. And besides I want to jump worlds to get resources, being restricted to 1 world per player just limit you to get more stuffs, while Terraria is all about exploring new things and fighting creatures (and building, but it's irrelevant here).

S2: People get to choose what they like is for a reason. You want a challenge? Sure, go Medcore/Hardcore. You want to play and relax and learn stuff in the game? Go Softcore. Forcing players to go Med/Hardcore once Hardmode starts is a :red:-move, since if you die, getting to where you died is difficult with the Hardmode Mobs crawling around and you have bad weapons and equipment. To casual players this is very frustrating.

From what I can tell, this suggestion basically states I can't enter Hardmode unless my character has Mediumcore or Hardcore enabled, or it gets forced upon entering Hardmode?

No freakin' thanks. Absolutely zero support from me.

Well, since achievements doesn't provide in-game advantages I think it's OK to cheese them. And, hey, look! We're cheesing bosses, this is way better than sticking to cheesing achievements! :D
World-lock, well, this only works for games with infinite resources, not for Terraria where you have finite resources.
Hardmode for only Med/Hardcore? You must be kidding, Med/Hardcore is for experienced challengers, not for those who just want to enjoy their game. Hardmode is enaugh hard and stressing alone, with the difficulty of Med/Hardcore, it would be just a beg for not play anymore...

No support.
1. The only reason I go to different worlds is to make it easier (or even possible at all) to grind certain items. Why should I be prohibited from doing that? This suggestion doesn't just accomplish what you want it to - it also punishes people who aren't even doing the things you want to make impossible.

2. Why should people be forced to a harder difficulty setting in order to experience the second half of the game? Some people aren't that amazing at gaming, and/or have limited time to play games (so they don't have time to get good). Being forced to play mediumcore in hard-mode would be incredibly frustrating for a casual player. The choices are there for a reason - so people who want a challenge can have it, but also so people who just want to experience the game at their own pace and skill level can do so.

EDIT: Your note on the "NOPE" option certainly doesn't do you any favours when it comes to getting my support. It smacks of a kind of obnoxious elitism.

Last edited:
World-lock
It has been one of the single most prominent feature(though people tend to get caught up in cats vomiting rainbows or whatnot) of the game, to jump worlds whenever you want, for whatever reasons you can think of. It is simply not possible to experience everything that is Terraria when you have this narrow choice of one character, one world. Some people do not want to have to create multiple characters all over again just because their particular world refused to generate that little something. I myself use at least three fresh worlds per playthroughs, and when I first started out, I harvested over 7 worlds before I even touched hardmode. It gives a sense of freedom, and an opportunity to amass wealth and fortune, especially to feed that horrible hoarding soul of yours.

The world-jumping has been legit for over four years in this game. I can't help but think by introducing a world-lock feature is like removing one of the foundation blocks or a major pillar in a building.

Hardmode SHOULD be harder
Medium core and Hard core
Medium core and Hard core do not actually increase the difficulty of the gameplay, per se. The AIs are still dumb, your NPCs are still mostly useless sacks of data. It just punishes you more for simple mistakes and carelessness.

When I play games, I do not feel the need to bash myself in the head into the nearest brick wall or cut off my toes just to get back to where I was, thank you very much. I have enough sense of lost from losing save files thanks to glitchy behavior, and I do not need a game to actively and purposely do that to me to experience all the content.

Guys, stop reposting the same stuff the first guy said. I acknowledged him, and liked it. I do not need to be told over and over again. Thank you for your thoughts.

hmmmmm, quite the interessting concept there, with that world lock, if it would be only for the achievements id agree, but for building purposes and or collection stuff, its impossible to stay only on one world (corruption/crimson/pyramids)

AND there is the problem, i think 2(?) achievements are kinda "completionist" achievements, the "kill every boss one" and the "kill every slime" one, and you cant do that on one world..., so that wouldnt work well... and having a world with both, crimson and corruption would destroy the world, sooooo thats not gonna happen.

for the second suggestion, eeeeh, i dont like this one. Hardmode is not just "make the game harder" its like, the middlegame, its not supposed to be SUPERENDGAMEHARDMODE, its supposed to be the start of the real game, binding this to characterlevels would make softcore charakters render useless.

maybe, just maybe there could be some achievements tied to some kind of "superhardmode"? Id see that one work, AND i can see this one tied to character-difficulties too...

I agree with almost all of the above, but I won't repeat the same thing. I will say something different (which you can find in a sec)
What I really don't like about this is that your calling people chicken for people disagreeing. Sure, I know you probably mean it in a jokingly manner, but it's still a little rude.
But hey, that's nothing to do with the suggestion! Here's my problems that aren't what everyone else said.

Achievements are not needed. But some people all complete achivement hunters and will NOT cheese them (like me). This means that players who want to earn all of them but aren't great at Terraria are thankful that you can get the achievements in softcore. Locking REAL hunters out because some people cheat? Cheating isn't a problem unless its on multiplayer, there just ruining the game for themselves. Besides, you don't get "Steam Points" or anything for completing any of the tasks. It's simply a bottlecap badge, some kids earn it for completing a game that their friends are playing, and some simply make it to show it off. (That was a bad comparison, wasn't it?)

Back
Top Bottom