Mac World seems to have vanished

Vespillo

Terrarian
I've been working on a map for the workshop for over a month now, much hard work has gon into it
I just started up Terraria to work some more and something happened to it. I'm not sure exactly what, i know at some point i accidently pressed 'remove from cloud', but when I tried to open the world I got an error saying something to the effect of "sync failed" (i'm not exactly sure what it said). I tried restarting terraria but when i got to the world picker said world was no longer there.
When i started this world I was on another computer, and have subsequentyl moved to my current one. I tried starting terraria on the first computer but it wasn't there either. I figured if i removed it from the cloud the files would stay on the computer, but after checking (Finder>Library>Application support>Terraria>worlds) i'm not sure it was there - There is something that might be it, but under a previous name and it doesn't show up on the world picker.
I have tried validating the steam cloud files for Terraria, and I'm not sure what to do next.
It is possible that i deleted the world, and if I have i'm not sure where to look.
If anyone can help me, please do. I've spent many hours creating this world and it has some of the most advanced wiring i've ever done. If this world is lost I think it possible that i may not make another.
Sorry for any typos, I'm rather desperate.

I've been working on a map for the workshop for over a month now, much hard work has gon into it
I just started up Terraria to work some more and something happened to it. I'm not sure exactly what, i know at some point i accidently pressed 'remove from cloud', but when I tried to open the world I got an error saying something to the effect of "sync failed" (i'm not exactly sure what it said). I tried restarting terraria but when i got to the world picker said world was no longer there.
When i started this world I was on another computer, and have subsequentyl moved to my current one. I tried starting terraria on the first computer but it wasn't there either. I figured if i removed it from the cloud the files would stay on the computer, but after checking (Finder>Library>Application support>Terraria>worlds) i'm not sure it was there - There is something that might be it, but under a previous name and it doesn't show up on the world picker.
I have tried validating the steam cloud files for Terraria, and I'm not sure what to do next.
It is possible that i deleted the world, and if I have i'm not sure where to look.
If anyone can help me, please do. I've spent many hours creating this world and it has some of the most advanced wiring i've ever done. If this world is lost I think it possible that i may not make another.
Sorry for any typos, I'm rather desperate.
Sad reaction could never sum up how sad I am; I'm literally crying IRL. I've been making an adventure map too, and imagining what it would be like to lose all of my progress is very painful.
I hope that you can restore your progress; I'm really looking forward to trying some of your adventure maps if/when I get a new computer.

Lesson learned: always make backups of important work
My problem is that it was supposed to be backed up in the Steam Cloud.
I'm still not sure what happened, but I just can't find the files.

On second thought, I don't think I deleted the world because it was favorited. And you can't delete favorited worlds. I do think I probably hit 'Remove from cloud' at some point, but that should not have done anything to the file itself.
I still just don't know what happened.

Steam Cloud is widely known to be very unreliable and occasionally causes more problems than it solves...

Also, the world file you have is a .bak (which means backup), try changing the extension to .wld instead and it may show up in-game (or delete the .bak part?)... but actually it's been a while so I don't remember if that's the fix.

EDIT: Well I decided to do it on my own, but I'm currently not able to access Terraria, so does this work?

Attachments

• Escape_room_#2_by_Obelus.wld
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Steam Cloud is widely known to be very unreliable and occasionally causes more problems than it solves...

Also, the world file you have is a .bak (which means backup), try changing the extension to .wld instead and it may show up in-game (or delete the .bak part?)... but actually it's been a while so I don't remember if that's the fix.

EDIT: Well I decided to do it on my own, but I'm currently not able to access Terraria, so does this work?
Good news and bad news:
Good news is that it works. (yay...)
Bad news is that it's an earlier version of the world. I should have known this by the title (I changed the name later), and I'm not really surprised that this backup isn't current. The unfortunate part is that most of the work i've done on it was after this point. If fact all of the difficult things were. And I don't have another file that resembles it.
One thing I have noticed is that the map(fullscreen/mini) is still the same (as it was before the world vanished) wherever it hasn't been updated (It seems like it's there, but as soon as I fly over it it disapears
Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 8.15.35 PM.png

This tells me that the information of what's supposed to be there is still in the computer/Terraria/Steam somewhere.

The map information is saved to the character rather than the world, so if a character somehow enters an outdated version of the same world, the map will reflect the last version the character was in.

In fact you should have made a backup of the map data (do one now) because it is possible to extract some (if not all, I haven't looked into how it stores the tile colors) tile information from those.

Last edited:
It's best to always rely on a physical backup instead of a cloud save. Both could work too, but always keep a physical backup on something like a USB stick or SD card (if you have one + a reader for it, stick is probably better for the sake of not losing it somewhere) in case the cloud save fails.
I should probably listen to my own advice and make a backup of my Terraria saves now...

Back
Top Bottom