PC Worlds Folder Missing (Mac OS X)

jmlopez83834

Terrarian
I recently moved from console to PC with Terraria, in hopes of being able to download a map so I won't be forced to completely restart. When I went online and downloaded a map that had all the items I did, I did the usual and used WinZip and all that jazz, but I can't find my worlds folder. I've looked everywhere! I checked the local files and it has everything (Content, Images, Sounds, etc.) but the Worlds folder! I've spent 3 days straight scouring my computer for this folder and have had no luck. If anyone can help me, it would be immensely appreciated. Thank you :happy:

i tried to add some new worlds too, in the folder my games/Terraria/worlds and it was empty, and when i put new worlds in it, in game there were nothing only my actual worlds.

From http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...nd-workarounds-if-available-depricated.27746/
The save location has changed!
To better comply with the standards put in place by each OS, the Terraria save folder (Previously ~/My Games/Terraria) will be moving.
Linux will use ~/.local/share/Terraria, or $XDG_DATA_HOME + /Terraria
Mac will use ~/Library/Application Support/Terraria
(Windows will be unchanged: Documents/My Games/Terraria)

To ensure the safety of user data, and that the transition happens as smoothly as possible, the old save directory will automatically be copied to the new location under the following conditions:
  • The old save path exists.
  • The new save path does not exist.
  • -savedirectory is not specified.

Once you have ensured that this transition has occurred correctly, you may delete the old save folder.

This process occurs silently, and is checked each launch. It is important to note that when the open beta is over this automatic transition will no longer occur. Please be sure to run your game at least once between now and then.

Terraria isn't in my Application Support Folder, it wasn't in my finder until I moved it from the local files in Steam to my finder, which was difficult. I right click Terraria and click Show Package Contents and I can't find the saves folder. The game was 100% not in my finder, yet I was still able to run it? I searched my entire computer for the worlds/saves folder, and I'm at a total loss
[DOUBLEPOST=1439659214,1439659097][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I can't find my Library in my finder, which is confusing, but I can find it when I UnZip something, but not in my normal finder

Can't reply now, headed out to a client site for damage control and repairs. If nobody else gets you fixed up I'll try when I get back.

Beg your pardon, I've been too busy to do anything about this. I hope to have some spare time this evening, and will look into it then. I'll set the Mac over where I'll see it when work is done.

[edit] Righty, here's how to search for all world files on your system, wherever they are. If you're already familiar with Terminal operations, skip right to the command in green.

On your Mac, bring up a Terminal window. To do this, bring up the search, then type terminal in. The "top hit" should have an icon of a black rectangle with small characters in it. Click that to start the terminal emulator.

You should see a blank text-mode window with a prompt something like this, with your Mac's name and your username instead of mine:

MacBook-Pro:~ bethany$ _

The _ will be a blinking cursor where you will type in a command. The text in green below is the command you should type, or copy and paste:

MacBook-Pro:~ bethany$ find / -name '*.wld' -print 2> /dev/null

Press the Return key and the find utility will display the names of all files whose names end in ".wld" along with the path to each. Replace wld with plr to find player files.

This command will search your entire hard drive. This could take a while, and you might not see anything happen for some time. To search just folders (subdirectories) under your home, which takes less time but might not catch all files, replace find / with find ~ in the command above.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Beg your pardon, I've been too busy to do anything about this. I hope to have some spare time this evening, and will look into it then. I'll set the Mac over where I'll see it when work is done.

[edit] Righty, here's how to search for all world files on your system, wherever they are. If you're already familiar with Terminal operations, skip right to the command in green.

On your Mac, bring up a Terminal window. To do this, bring up the search, then type terminal in. The "top hit" should have an icon of a black rectangle with small characters in it. Click that to start the terminal emulator.

You should see a blank text-mode window with a prompt something like this, with your Mac's name and your username instead of mine:

The _ will be a blinking cursor where you will type in a command. The text in green below is the command you should type, or copy and paste:

Press the Return key and the find utility will display the names of all files whose names end in ".wld" along with the path to each. Replace wld with plr to find player files.

This command will search your entire hard drive. This could take a while, and you might not see anything happen for some time. To search just folders (subdirectories) under your home, which takes less time but might not catch all files, replace / with ~ in the command above.

Hope this helps!
Yes!!!! Thank you so much!!

I don't know either. I'm better with Linux and Windows than Mac. *nix skills are handy when I don't understand why my Mac doesn't behave as I expect.

Glad everything's sorted now. Hope you enjoy the game.

This command will search your entire hard drive. This could take a while, and you might not see anything happen for some time. To search just folders (subdirectories) under your home, which takes less time but might not catch all files, replace find / with find ~ in the command above.

Hope this helps!
When I put that in and pressed the return key, it said permission denied. How do i change this?

Last edited:
Did you get an access denied error when running the "find" command? If so that's not unusual. In the form I showed, with / as the starting path, it will search every part of your filesystem including directories whose permissions are set to keep non-root users out. It's safe to ignore the error message since the path to your world and player files won't be in such a directory.

However, the 2> /dev/null part should have redirected error output to the null device, aka "bit bucket," meaning the message ought never to have appeared on your terminal. It should've vanished into the ether. I included the stderr (i/o channel 2) redirect to avoid cluttering the terminal display with error messages; it's not essential, just convenient.

So I'm not sure why you saw an error message. Maybe there's a typo on my part, or yours. I'm not at the Mac now so can't check it.

You can try searching from your home directory instead of the filesystem root. Use the command find ~ -name '*.wld' -print 2> /dev/null and see if that does the trick.

Did you get an access denied error when running the "find" command? If so that's not unusual. In the form I showed, with / as the starting path, it will search every part of your filesystem including directories whose permissions are set to keep non-root users out. It's safe to ignore the error message since the path to your world and player files won't be in such a directory.

However, the 2> /dev/null part should have redirected error output to the null device, aka "bit bucket," meaning the message ought never to have appeared on your terminal. It should've vanished into the ether. I included the stderr (i/o channel 2) redirect to avoid cluttering the terminal display with error messages; it's not essential, just convenient.

So I'm not sure why you saw an error message. Maybe there's a typo on my part, or yours. I'm not at the Mac now so can't check it.

You can try searching from your home directory instead of the filesystem root. Use the command find ~ -name '*.wld' -print 2> /dev/null and see if that does the trick.
Yes it did! Thank you! Now what do I do to get to that folder?
[DOUBLEPOST=1445116581,1445116467][/DOUBLEPOST]

When I plug it into Go To in Finder, it says the folder cant be found.
[DOUBLEPOST=1445116738][/DOUBLEPOST]

NeverMIND. I put it in wrong. Thanks again!

Yay! I know how easy it can be to make a typo when dealing with obscure commands and stuff. Glad you found what you needed, and I wish you best of luck playing.

Hope this helps!
I used this and found the folders. I then proceeded to copy my worlds and characters into these folders, but they didn't show up in game despite being in these files. Can you transfer worlds/characters from Windows to mac? thanks.

Hi! I haven't done this since 1.3 came out, but it worked for me back during the public beta. I remember that there was a change of directory, to make the Mac version behave in a Mac-like way. Details have vanished into the mists of evaporated memory, sorry.

What the hey. I'll fire up the MBP, give it a shot, and post the results in a few.

Well, I just wrote up detailed step-by-step instructions, then managed to erase them with no saved draft. Too tired to type all that again just now, but the gist of it was that I was able to copy worlds and players back and forth from Windows PC to a Mac. I had to use Finder's "Go" command, then type in the path because the Library folder wasn't visible in Finder by default. Once I navigated there, it was easy to copy files from Windows' world and player folders to iCloud, then from iCloud to the Mac's world and player folders. Worked fine in both directions.

Thank you so much! :D
so, whenever i try to do the first step, "find / -name '*.wld' -print 2> /dev/null"
it keeps saying "-bash: /dev/null: Permission denied"
how do i stop this?
[doublepost=1468634117,1468633545][/doublepost]is there a folder for the worlds? cuz i did all the terminal commands and found 4 worlds. all i need to find is the folder that contains them...

pls help

Back
Top Bottom