XNB Spritefont Guide

emberimp

Terrarian
I was helping Skywire (dinoxel) translate Terraria to French but that project is dead now because Terraria will add official high quality translations.

One issue we ran into was the display of special characters. With the default font they look terrible, so we had to figure out how to replace the ugly characters with pretty ones.
The first thing we tried was editing the unpacked sprite and repacking it (using XNBNode) but this was a lot of effort and the spacing was off. The next attempt was using an assortment of spritefont creation tools but they all had one fault or another. So after trying and failing with MonoGame Pipeline we ended up going with XNA Game Studio 4.0 (XNA Game Studio does not support Visual Studio 15, use Visual C# 2010 Express instead).

Create .xnb font file
  1. Open Visual C# 2010 Express
  2. File -> New Project...
  3. Make a new "Windows Game (4)"
  4. Right click the Content Item in the Solution Explorer and do "Add -> New Item..."
  5. Choose sprite font and name it one of the following:
    1. Combat_Crit.spritefont
    2. Combat_Text.spritefont
    3. Death_Text.spritefont
    4. Item_Stack.spritefont
    5. Mouse_Text.spritefont
    6. Title_Font.spritefont
  6. Edit FontName, Andy Bold is just "Andy"
  7. You probably want to edit the size and expand the character region (French works perfectly with   to Ŗ )
  8. Press the green play button or hit F5 to start debugging
  9. Locate the output folder, for me it's "D:\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\WindowsGame1\WindowsGame1\WindowsGame1\bin\x86\Debug\Content"
  10. Copy the created .xnb files to the Terraria Content folder

Info about the ingame font (mostly Andy Bold)
  1. Combat_Crit.spritefont (unknown)
  2. Combat_Text.spritefont (unknown)
  3. Death_Text.spritefont (Andy Bold, size 40)
  4. Item_Stack.spritefont (Andy Bold, size 14)
  5. Mouse_Text.spritefont (Andy Bold, size 17 (needs to be 17 with Andy Bold, 16 has spacing issues with <i>))

Where fonts are used ingame (easiest access)
  1. Combat_Crit and Combat_Text are used when you take damage or heal
  2. Death_Text is used on the main menu
  3. Item_Stack is used on the achievements page
  4. Mouse_Text is used where you select your character (Play, HP, Mana, etc.)
  5. Title_Font is currently unused

Tip: Change this code in Game.cs (automatically moving the files would be even better)
Code:
protected override void Initialize()
{
    base.Initialize();
    Process.Start(@"D:\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\WindowsGame1\WindowsGame1\WindowsGame1\bin\x86\Debug\Content"); // replace with your content folder
    Process.Start(@"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria\Content\Fonts"); // replace with your Terraria folder
    Exit();
}

I hope this helps somebody, do with this guide whatever you want, I don't mind.

P.S. you should really add a bunny smiley :bunny:

Unfortunately, the official installation of C# 2010 is no longer available, and they seem to have shut down the server.😢

Back
Top Bottom