Your challenge modes aren't fun!

hamstar

Terrarian
Here's why:
  1. Dwarf/Drow elf (underground) challenge
    1. Gloomy; no daylight, limited flora and fauna, no events, etc.
    2. "Safe"; no major handicaps against any bosses really exist (summoning requirements not included)
    3. Semi-tedious; lots of time spent digging
  2. Class-only challenges
    1. "Safe"; all classes are balanced to be completed to the end game (except maybe thrower, and summoner might have some hurdles...)
    2. Un-invested; besides the grinds, no function of the game gives a crap if you switched to melee after 20+ hours of mage building, or visa versa
    3. Semi-tedious; some bosses need non-trivial arenas to fight, for some classes (e.g. WoF vs. melee)
  3. Merfolk challenge
    1. Very tedious; enjoy your water duping and slow movement
    2. Eye-sore; reduces light and adds annoying visual overlay
    3. Destroys world.
  4. Speedruns
    1. Un-invested; progress too quick to care about any developments of character or world
    2. Un-safe; a high risk playthrough with quasi-impasse hazards, based on random factors
    3. Strategic; everyone hates using strategy
  5. Low Health/no armor/no healing challenge
    1. Un-safe; impasse hazards, frequent boss retries, etc.
    2. Strategic; yuck!
    3. Imbalanced; late game will punish you; lots of retries and/or conservative strategy and/or tons of skill needed
  6. No shop/chest/mining challenges
    1. See class-only challenges; "safeness" may vary
  7. Engineer challenge (wire stuff only)
    1. You must hate free time.
    2. Ineffectual; some bosses will be total impasses, without some very fancy/cheesy grinders
    3. You must hate free time.
  8. Completionist challenge(s?)
    1. You must still hate free time.
    2. Abusive; rare item grinds/hunts may be madness inducing
    3. No one cares about your collection.
  9. Hardmode challenge
    1. Un-safe; impasse hazards abound
    2. Strategic; who wants that silliness, anyway?!
    3. Tedious; e.g. have fun making a dropshaft via. copper pickaxe with wall-ignoring, insta-killing mobs in order to reach hellstone
Just a PSA.

Last edited:
People are doing challenges because they've become bored to play the game the normal way, and want an extra twist when they play again. And most of these challenges allows you to experience Terraria in a new way.
Whether it can be simple, tedious, or annoying. It gives people things to be able to replay the game because they really love the game. The reason why there are so many various challenges is because they're all possible in Terraria.

I've played Necrodancer, so I'm quite aware that there are things what can be considered a 'fun' challenge and which one are also truly 'challenging'.

Of course some challenges are tedious and imbalanced, and that's also the clear purpose of it. It's also called a 'challenge' for a reason.
And I see nothing wrong with it if you can't see the clear view to be able to finish it. That makes it actually interesting if it actually is possible to finish it that way.

Also:
- You're saying that the challenges aren't fun regardless if they're 'safe' or 'unsafe'? That like you're disagreeing with both statements of true and false.
- You're saying 'everyone hates strategy' and 'no one cares'. which is obviously false. You can't state your opinion like you're speaking for everyone else.

If I've to be honest, the only reason one would not like replaying the game with an extra twist is if they havn't enjoyed the game enough to find it worth replaying again.

But eh, it's your opinion to it.

Last edited:
Live and let live, I guess. I don't care about challenges, but some people find them fun. Let them, I'd say.

You only give examples for why you think they are bad (and some of them are completely biased, many people enjoy playing tactically and grinding for better equipment), but you don't give a single example on how they could be improved, which makes me think you yourself can't think of a more "fun" challenge.

What I am hearing here is something along the lines of:
"Hey, I don't enjoy doing your challenge for [this reason], so it isn't fun for anyone and you're basically an idiot for doing it."

Oh, yeah, don't forget the condescending "Just a PSA" at the end.

I don't care if you don't like these challenges. Not one bit. But to come and tell people that they "aren't fun" for a variety of reasons that are only not fun to you?
Not cool. You don't speak for everyone, so don't pretend to.

That's why they're called challenges. Challenges aren't meant to be fun.
I know, right?

You only give examples for why you think they are bad (and some of them are completely biased, many people enjoy playing tactically and grinding for better equipment), but you don't give a single example on how they could be improved, which makes me think you yourself can't think of a more "fun" challenge.
Funny you say that...

That's why they're called challenges. Challenges aren't meant to be fun.
Yeah, sorry, but that's a lie.

Challenges can be really fun, but I understand that for some people they group literally every challenge, including ones like collect-all-item challenges together with others like summon-only ones.

Yeah, sorry, but that's a lie.

Challenges can be really fun, but I understand that for some people they group literally every challenge, including ones like collect-all-item challenges together with others like summon-only ones.
Every one of the head post's opinions are completely and objectively true.

Here's why:
  1. Dwarf/Drow elf (underground) challenge
    1. Gloomy; no daylight, limited flora and fauna, no events, etc.
    2. "Safe"; no major handicaps against any bosses really exist (summoning requirements not included)
    3. Semi-tedious; lots of time spent digging
  2. Class-only challenges
    1. "Safe"; all classes are balanced to be completed to the end game (except maybe thrower, and summoner might have some hurdles...)
    2. Un-invested; besides the grinds, no function of the game gives a crap if you switched to melee after 20+ hours of mage building, or visa versa
    3. Semi-tedious; some bosses need non-trivial arenas to fight, for some classes (e.g. WoF vs. melee)
  3. Merfolk challenge
    1. Very tedious; enjoy your water duping and slow movement
    2. Eye-sore; reduces light and adds annoying visual overlay
    3. Destroys world.
  4. Speedruns
    1. Un-invested; progress too quick to care about any developments of character or world
    2. Un-safe; a high risk playthrough with quasi-impasse hazards, based on random factors
    3. Strategic; everyone hates using strategy
  5. Low Health/no armor/no healing challenge
    1. Un-safe; impasse hazards, frequent boss retries, etc.
    2. Strategic; yuck!
    3. Imbalanced; late game will punish you; lots of retries and/or conservative strategy and/or tons of skill needed
  6. No shop/chest/mining challenges
    1. See class-only challenges; "safeness" may vary
  7. Engineer challenge (wire stuff only)
    1. You must hate free time.
    2. Ineffectual; some bosses will be total impasses, without some very fancy/cheesy grinders
    3. You must hate free time.
  8. Completionist challenge(s?)
    1. You must still hate free time.
    2. Abusive; rare item grinds/hunts are may be madness inducing
    3. No one cares about your collection.
  9. Hardmode challenge
    1. Un-safe; impasse hazards abound
    2. Strategic; who wants that silliness, anyway?!
    3. Tedious; e.g. have fun making a dropshaft via. copper pickaxe with wall-ignoring, insta-killing mobs in order to reach hellstone
Just a PSA.
I'm sorry, but what's even the point of this thread? Whether or not anybody finds these challenges enjoyable or not is entirely subject to opinion so while it's nice we get to hear what you think about them, it's hardly a PSA. PSA's are typically useful and relate to everyone. And these aren't even official in any regard, these are just restrictions that people made up to have a bit more fun with a game that they enjoy so taking the time to boggle and point fingers at them for no reason is really trivial.

Dare I say that this doesn't even look like you're trying to make a conversation here, it looks like bait.

I'm sorry, but what's even the point of this thread? Whether or not anybody finds these challenges enjoyable or not is entirely subject to opinion so while it's nice we get to hear what you think about them, it's hardly a PSA. PSA's are typically useful and relate to everyone.
But if you're choosing a challenge mode, you're choosing an opinion already. If you're not, or you're unaware of the opinion, here's a PSA for you. Otherwise, you'll disregard it, and realize what I'm actually saying. Hence, it is for everyone.

Last edited:
Challenges add more, uh, challenge. Ergo they give the game more life, however subjectivity is a good word here. If you like a game with a little less difficulty, or less tediousness, that's fine I guess. I'm a massive Kirby fan whilst still liking some difficulty. But I think labeling all challenges not fun just because you said so, and saying "Here's some bad things about them!" is kind of useless. You mention the cons, however you left out the pros. List how the cons outweigh the pros, not just the cons being cons.

However, I understand that subjectivity is a keyword here. But then you go and say that "Every one of the head post's opinions are completely and objectively true." MMHMHMHMMHMHMMHMHMHM

I just wanna be a game journalist and turn every single game into the Dark Souls of Dark Souls.

Difficulty adds to the experience in some people's eyes, maybe not everyone's. Because completing objectives give you a major feeling of accomplishment that can't be denied, even if it is tedious. Then you can brag to your friends or post it on youtube, and it makes you feel like 1000x the human before you realize that all you did was stay in water for the whole playthrough.

I think that challenge mods are fun! But if you disagree, who cares. The internet, and especially forums, is for people to develop and discuss their opinions, and that's what I've learned today.

Lesson of the day: Challenge modes can be cool to some, not others. And hey, that's acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom