The Boreal Bookshelf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the kind and motivational words, @Chazm .
No problem.
Though I will say... real life football sucks. I just love the fantasy matches where you can have species so bad and species so good together- just because they are from different colonies.

I really enjoyed reading the fishing compendium and the ethics column :happy:
The ethics column reminded me of that time i did a pacifist tun and noticed how overworld slimes dont attack during the day . i dont kill them since then :p
Another awesome issue guys , keep up the good work

Thank you, too, Shadow. The kind words are much appreciated. If you ever have spare time to make a banner, I'm sure our editions would look extra sexy with a shiny logo.

Thank you, too, Shadow. The kind words are much appreciated. If you ever have spare time to make a banner, I'm sure our editions would look extra sexy with a shiny logo.
No problem :)
And id be happy to , ill pm you for details on that

I was directed here by TTT. This looks super cool and I really want to be a part of this. I'm not sure I'm good enough though. I have been told I am a good writer but I don't know if I'm this good!

Well, DecafDiamond, if you ever wish to join, just make yourself an application form and send it to me in a pm.

7paWXwg.jpg

Edition 4:

With a shiny banner from the incredible @Shadow and some complications with the real life concerning some of our group members, the week's been a bit here and there, bumping around. Now it's time to get reading the latest edition of The Boreal Bookshelf, packed full with detail, description, and an extra slice of clean format. How about that...

The Alchemist's Table: [Commander Crocket]

The next segment of The Alchemist's Table is upon us, and not a moment too soon, for the potion we will be exploring this week is the infamous Ironskin Potion. When consumed, this potion increases the durability and toughness of one’s skin, making it more resistant to enemy attacks.

Ingredients (produces one):

1 Bottled Water - A component in most potions, crafted with Empty Bottles while within or in very close proximity to a body of water.
1 Daybloom - Somewhat uncommon, grows on grass blocks, blooming during the day.
1 Iron Ore – Relatively uncommon on the surface, but is far more common underground.

This potion holds its place as one of my specialties, and also as one of my personal favourites. It increases one’s defense points by eight for a period of five minutes, and is thus a must have in any combat situation. It significantly increases one’s survivability, as enemies inflict less damage upon their person. This is one of the very few potions that both synergises well with the effects of other potions, and is also not limited to any one style of play. Use it, for it will serve you well.

Sorcerer's Scrolls: [Commander Crocket]

Welcome back to the next edition of the Sorcerer’s Scrolls, where a land of magic and wonders awaits. This time, I will take it upon myself to continue last week’s segment with the next tier of staves – the Sapphire Staff and the Emerald Staff.

Components for the Sapphire Staff / Emerald Staff:

10 Silver / Tungsten Bars - Obtained by smelting their respective ores at Furnace.
8 Sapphire / Emerald – Both are quite rare, and can be found underground.

The Sapphire Staff functions very much like its predecessors, casting a single, more powerful bolt that both damages enemies and knocks them back slightly. The Emerald Staff, on the other hand, gains several new features as the alternative to the Sapphire Staff - in addition to dealing slightly more damage and knockback, it gains the ability to autocast, and the ability to cast bolts that can pierce up to two enemies.

However, much like their preceding staves, both staves fire bolts that do not ricochet and travel slowly, so they remain at a disadvantage when engaging aerial targets; remain cautious when doing so.

Tinkerer's Tribulations: [Commander Crocket]

Why, hallo zhere, mein fellow Terrarian! Let me introduce myself. My name is Kobold, and I am in your debt. Zhank you for removing the ropes zhat bound me. Vhat's that? No no, you misunderstand! I'm not one of zhosegoblins, merely an outcast. You see, goblins are very easy to anger. Heh, in fact, zhey'd start a war over cloth! To be honest, most goblins aren't exactly rocket zhientists. Well... some are. And this is vhere I come in. You see, I vhas a zhientizt, one of the very few there was-- actually the ONLY scientist, but zhis is besides the point. Mein ideas were revered as nigh-on revoluzhionary. Okay, maybe not, as some vhere a tad... unorthodox. But zhen... I was cast away by my brethren; my own kin. Vhy? Vhy I ask you? Zhose monsters... fools! All of them! No matter. I'll show zem. I'll make them PAY! Mwuahahahaha, HAHAHAHAHAAA--

*cough* *hack* *cough* *gasp*

Ahem... Vell... Apologies for zat little outburst. It's due to the recent happenings. I'm sure you understand. But nevermind zhat. Pay it no mind, mein freund! Not to worry, for I am here to help you. You are aware of the existence of certain items, zhat when equipped, boost your abilities, ja? No? Vhell never fear mein pale-skinned friend, because that is mein field of expertise! You see, I am vell aware of ze effects of each of zhese 'accessories', zheir locations and their methods of acquisition! I also possess zhe means to both reforge both weapons and accessories, and combine certain accessories together, where their abilities are combined, often to great effect! Vell, vat are ve vaiting for? Let's jump right in!

Ve vill begin vith something you are likely to encounter as you mercilessly hack and slash away at the predominant enemies of the night. Zhat's right, I am talking about ze zombies. Hideous zhings, aren't zhey? And zhey smell rather... odd. Must be the rotting flesh, amongst other zhings...

Having murdered a good number of zhese abominations, you may chance upon a pair of metal rings. Zhis, mein freunds, is zhe Shackle. One is able to wear zhese as one would wear a bracelet. Zhis grants you an additional defense point. Defense points reduce ze damage enemies deal to your person, which makes zhis a useful asset to starting players. I recommend equipping one with the 'Warding' modifier, which increases the amount of defense points this item grants by 4, bringing the total to an astounding 5! Zhat's the equivalent of wearing a full set of Copper armour!

Sadly however, it loses much of its usefulness as the player progresses, as accessories zhat grant more defense and utility are unearthed... If you are a member of the latter party, I strongly advise against throwing it away. I suggest hanging onto it, for one can never know when it will become useful once again...

Danke schön for hearing this little goblin out. Hopefully, zhis little guide has helped you in some way. If so, I'm glad I could help! If not however, then perhaps in the future I vill be of assistance. In both cases, I look forward to seeing you again. Auf wiedersehen mein freunds, until we meet again!

The Hunter's Handbook: [Matsu]

These things are just plain gross. Not only are they little more than flying jellyfish, they also feel the need to spray everything they see with their biological fluids. The things spray out a putrid stream of their own yellow liquid…I’ll leave it up to you to think about what that is.

Combat with these things is best done from a distance, as their foul spray can weaken even the heartiest warrior. The things shoot their loads at a steep angle, so run under it if you can and pepper the disgusting things with ammo and high explosives.

Now, I know what you’re thinking, “Why would I even go near these things,” the answer is very simple, you can use that foul liquid. Once you kill one of the things you harvest the gland from it that produces the liquid. The stuff can be caked onto bullets, put into bottles, heck you can even make a spell out of it…if you want to be like one of these things that is…freak.

The Terrarian Armory: [Matsu]

This weapon is a thing of true beauty. It is completely and totally worth the risk of obtaining. These wondrous staves are carried by the necromantic sorcerers that prowl the deepest layers of the dungeon, and they are reticent to part with their staves. However if you kill one of these sorcerers and manage to usurp their staff, then you will have a power that can scarcely be described.

To begin with this weapon fires a beam unlike any other. The beam generated by this weapon travels at the speed of light and bounces off of any surface it strikes. Be warned though, this beam is not light. In fact it is quite the opposite. My research has shown that the beam produced by this weapon is in actuality, condensed darkness. A “shadowbeam” so to speak.

The damage wrought by this weapon comes not only from its incredible speed and reflective properties, but from how the weapon afflicts those struck by it. Unlike a traditional beam that burns using super powered light, this weapon does the opposite. When it contacts a target the super condensed darkness of this weapon chills to the very soul, destroying the target.

A Difference of Opinion: [Matsu]

My name is Berwyn, I am a great and powerful mage. Well, I thought I was at least. In the place I am from magic is a simple a tame thing. It has control, structure, and order. Until recently I thought this was the form of all magic, but I was wrong.

I heard tell of a strange land that had recently sprung up, with magic abounds. I hastened to it and found that its magic was like none I had seen before. The magic there was…wild, untamed, and glorious. It seemed as though the place had no mages to control it, at least none that I saw when I arrived.

I walked the lands of this place, seeing the diversity of its nature. After hours of wandering I came upon what appeared to be a massive jungle. I heard strange chanting coming from on of the caverns in this place and I knew I had to investigate.

Mystery Nations: The Underkin: [TheGoldenHawkster]

This race was at it's peak a highly developed civilization of dwarves who conquered many realms underground, and were great traders, technicians and warriors. They lived in humble homes made of lumber from above and loved paintings and statues, decorating their homes with these wares. The reason they are no longer around is because the Lord Underkin, Barnor, wanted to increase revenue from above-ground sourcing, and so recruited his folk to the Overking at the time, Abraham the Maleficent, who wanted to build a magnificent structure that descended deep underground. Unfortunately, this structure was the Dungeon...

The dwarves were very intrigued by the magic of many travellers, and harnessed magic through runes, using it to make speed-granting boots, regenerative stones and jewel-encrusted boomerangs, which helped them through the deep mine shafts. But they were not just magically able, they were tinkerers! They built many trap systems around their mines which dropped boulders on unwary heads, and darts at unwary legs.

The Dungeon was a terrible building. Many dwarves died due to horrific work conditions, and their bones and bodies were just added to the mortar of the bricks, giving them it's skull-encrusted appearance and reeking stench. Only the dwarf lord survived, but not unhindered. The terrible fate he wrought on his workmen gave him a ghastly burden. As for Abraham, he fled to the Dynasty, to (presumably) never return. Though fortune was always his beckoning...

Fishing Compendium with S.Cales: [TheGoldenHawkster]

The Wyverntail.

This beast is a magnificent specimen, bearing the strange arcane markings of old, when humans bore wings and could fly. The Wyvern is actually a fish of the very carnivorous sort; the first wyverns engulfed so many of these flying people that they died out, and the wyvern gained their buoyant souls, which allowed it to glide higher and higher...

Thankfully, adult Wyverns have since lived peacefully, only feasting on the odd human when they feel threatened. But the Wyverntails are voracious beasts as progeny, and have to eat their own weight in Harpies every day! Thankfully, Harpies breed like mice, but they have the same effect as the flying people of old, imbuing them with floating grace and majesty among the clouds.

TCF Member Spotlight: Baconfry: [Pixel]

Baconfry is the kind of person who you'll find spending all night finding new ways to make the game that extra bit more interesting. Baconfry is the Hatsune Miku fan of the forums, and quite a popular one too. If you don't already know this member, then you haven't been exploring too much. No need for any Spelunker Potions this time, he's highlighted wherever he goes. Already Baconfry has neared a good 100, numbers aren't exact, suggestions that have been full to the brim with kind words of feedback. And that, gentleladies and men, is quite the achievement, it takes a real Harry Potter to do that kind of thing.

Though whilst Baconfry spends the majority of his time suggesting, you'll always see him make one or two comments which will undeniably send you rolling on the floor with hands clutching your hips in pure laughter. When it comes to humour, this Baconfry is a professional, perhaps even rivaling the likes of Razor Knight. Either way, Baconfry is quite the special member. Even if likes in these forums don't have too much of an importance, he has even managed to top a developer -- Cenx -- with his content. And as well as that, to top it all off with the red cherry, some of his suggestions have been confirmed to appear in the next big UPDATE!

*clap clap*

Terraria Football Results: [Pixel]

1' Well would you look at that. Even before the football confrontation between both Slime United and Hell FC, there's a streaker. After the security caught up with him, he kissed one of them with a cheek and passed over a Blinkroot, declaring his hand in marriage. So, yes, that's a little awkward to have this match start. Anyway, the whistle has now been blown! Let's see how this goes!

2' The fans are awestruck. What a performance from Hell FC! Fire Imp managed to teleport between certain defenders and get the ball at the perfect angle. It wasn't long till iy got a fireball of a goal into the net, zooming past the famous King Slime.

3' The... the Fire Imp has scored again, just a single minute after! Using a similar method as before, the Fire Imp effectively used the teleportation to its advantage, it sent a cheeky chip over the goalkeeper's reach.

4' The. Fire. Imp. Has. Scored.

5', 6', 7', 8', 9', (...), 86', 87', 88', 89'

90' So.. the whistle has been blown. At last. What an exhausting match. The Fire Imp has robbed the Cthulhu World Records of the awards and managed to get a 90-0 lead. I think I as a commentator need to take a break...

Last edited:
The image doesn't work for some reason! BTW it is so COOL! Continue with it! (The terrarian times needs some more humor to be good).

Just heard about this because I was looking around the forums and saw this, and I can already say, I absolutely frikkin LOVE IT! Anyways, I would love to join the team, but I am as uncreative as a fekkin snail, and even when I am, I am no professional writer unlike all of you. (Unintentional compliment, I sware.) Plus it looks like you have just about everything in Terraria covered.

But anyways, keep up the good work and if, I'm saying IF I ever want to join, who should I contact?

Again, keep up the good work and I look forward to the next edition.

I really enjoyed reading this. I'm really eager for the next edition.
Keep up the good work guys!
:joy: *waits happily the next Terraria Knowledge segment* :joy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom