1.3.2 Questions/Discussion/Suggestions

When I do hellevators, I just turn Smart Cursor on, and just dig a 2 block wide tunnel straight under my feet and I just keep going unless I hit lava then I just gotta stop and figure out what to do with it. And of course I place ropes. It really doesn't take long if you get a Reaver Shark, but to each their own I guess lol. I don't like having a big wide open Hellevator because I don't like getting attacked by mobs constantly when I'm going up or down it.
I do the same, but when I got the drill mount, I made it 10 West - 10 East (12 blocks) at 500 above surface, which is 10/10 for my original spawn and nice at 500 mark, which is a few blocks to the left of the top of it. then going all the way down on each side has rope because there's no center 1 block because Center is 2 blocks. I do Rope for looks, and for characters that don't have wings, or something that doesn't negate fall damage. Sadly though atm, I'm making 500 West - 500 East from 500 above surface to surface filled with just Dirt, and+range of drill mount to prevent biome changes, then I can build as I please :D, then I'm planning on to making that 500 West - 500 East down to Underworld and make my artificial biomes, and farms, etc. Almost forgot, can't let my Ocean can't corrupted, guess I'll have to do that soon. Although my world just got into Hardmode so not much of a problem atm. Starting storage first because yee I'd like to get my blocks I get :D so I can make decorations, etc, and no filthy air holes, hate those preventing my mob killing massacre.

Another potential idea for 1.3.2 is if the new event involves an expansion of the Cultists. After all, there's unused assets such as the white cultist archer that suggests there might have been more to the Cultists at some point in 1.3's development.

Maybe there will be a new Cult Invasion that serves as the new prerequisite for the cultists to spawn at the dungeon. Maybe you collect a Solar Tablet from the Golem and a Lunar Tablet from the hardmode Dungeon, and combine them into the Mysterious Tablet, which activates the cultist event. The cult event could also include new drops from the Lunatic Cultist boss, who doesn't really drop much aside from the ancient manipulator at the moment.

If throwing weapons are being expanded upon, the Lunatic Cultist could drop Void Fragments used to craft the ultimate throwing armor set.

You know, I was thinking about white cultists too, on how they are meant to be solar cultists.
So what if there was a Sun Lord boss?

Honestly, completing the set of things for all biomes would be nice.

-a boss each for the Frost and Desert biomes, pre-HM stuff is fine, just needs something there for completion sake
-desert key + dungeon chest + special item associated with it (maybe a proper ranged weapon, as the piranha gun is meh, and magic/melee has 2 each)
-desert themed chest (to replace normal ones in there)
-desert and jungle mimics (normal ones, not big ones, although a set of big ones would be nice too)
+move the pyramids to the desert biome (overlap with antlion nest, there's more than enough room), and make pyramids like smaller dungeons; present in every world
+a proper drop table for the cultist... it's severely lacking, not even an expert drop

-a boss each for the Frost and Desert biomes, pre-HM stuff is fine, just needs something there for completion sake
-desert key + dungeon chest + special item associated with it (maybe a proper ranged weapon, as the piranha gun is meh, and magic/melee has 2 each)
-desert and jungle mimics (normal ones, not big ones, although a set of big ones would be nice too)
+move the pyramids to the desert biome (overlap with antlion nest, there's more than enough room), and make pyramids like smaller dungeons; present in every world
+a proper drop table for the cultist... it's severely lacking, not even an expert drop

There's already a giant jungle mimic. It just has no drops coded and doesn't spawn iirc.

They need to make it so player sensors can be hammered to face left, right, and down.

1.3.1 was the "wiring update". I think we should have a "builders update". It should have my chisel tool suggestion for 1.3.1. Also it should have a building mount. We have a drill mount to dig really fast. There should be a mount for building really fast. It could be a crawler crane like mount and the hook would move around to where the players mouse is. While on the mount you can right-click to pick different shapes to build with, and different sizes. Kind of like how you can select different wire colors with the grand design. Then you just hold down left-click with the material you want to build with selected in your hotbar and it will lock the shape in place while it's filling in the material you have selected. It will also show you the outline of the shape you are building, kind of like the ruler function on the grand design.
It should also be able to move the view like the sniper rifle to give you a little more reach than what you normally see on your screen for those tall buildings.

If it could build horizontal lines, vertical lines, diagonal lines and adjust how long and how thick they are... Squares, circles, triangles, and adjust how high or wide they are... Filled or outline, and how thick the outline is... It would be the ultimate builders tool.
`:happy:

I feel like most of the recent updates have been focused on hardmode. I would like some new editions to pre-hardmode, like new pre-hardmode events, or perhaps a new side boss similar to king slime.

Maybe a special throwing type weapon for the sand biome? Like, the bone glove is a throwing weapon that throws bones, maybe a throwing weapon that turns sand into spears of sand that pierces enemies?

Hardmode tier equipment for throwing weapons would be interesting.

Prehard Stuff (some will be a repeat possibly):
1. Slime Staff needs to be Craftable, it's obsurdly rare and only serves 1 purpose if gotten later, and even then it's out done by other methods. If no, then the Antlion charger/Turret staff for early game summon.
2. Like 1, early Game Turrets. You see Turrets come up in hardmode, so the Antlion (spitter) will be the first using a few fallen stars, antlion mandibles and maybe some Silver/Tungsten bars?
3. Craftable/Buyable Javelins after have gotten one. Powerful early game, so after defeating Queen Bee or Skeletron with Jav in inventory.
4. Fishing.. Reduce the possibility of getting X item 5 times in a row and increase likelyhood of getting missing piece. For example, I have Sextant and other accessory, but missing Fisher Guide, out of all the rewards the Fisher guide will have highest priority. Same goes with having Golden Bug net but not yet gotten Hotline Fishing Rod.
5. Gladiator Armor dropped by the skeletons in Marble Mini biome get increased Throwing damage/special effect, otherwise it's just vanity with defense.
6. New invasion event for prehard. Hardmode has Pirates, Goblin Summoner added to Goblin Invasion, and Martians. Dunno what would be in it's place, but better then nothing at the time. Or even make it a All Day/Night long event, as long as it's prehardmode.

Hardmode:
1. Craftable traps and renewable Lihzard Bricks. Yeah yeah, there's a metric ton of bricks, but what if you wanted more but cant because you obliterated most if not all of the temple?
^Craftable Traps after Golem has been killed, Mechanic sells Piston Case blocks (decorative, material) and Goblin Tinker sells Auto Spears*, Mechanical Spiked Balls*, Jetflame Igniter*, and Dart Reloader*. Dart Reloader makes Normal Dart Trap found everywhere and then used with Lizhard material to make Super. Others just use Piston Cases+X Lizard Material+ Trap Type (5 or 10 so it's not extremely easy to make).
*All are Materials for Trap crafting and UNUSABLE otherwise.

2. Guide has Hardmode tips once a Demon/Crimson Altar has been smashed. IE: "I hear in the Underground of X-Evil and Hallow have creatures with souls worth hunting", with this a new player would be like "hey, I now know what to do first now that I am in hard mode".
3. A special Mixed Invasion, if Ninja's become a Invasion in some time, make a Special Spawner like the Solar Tablet where all that day you're fighting Ninjas AND Pirates. :D
4. A new Mob that causes "Ilusionary Distortion" debuff, like a Mirage, but what it does it makes a "shadow copy of yourself" fight you, but it's a distraction, takes damage but it wont hurt you. Causes Homing Projectiles to target it instead and makes you miss what you're trying to hit at minimal times.

Maybe a special throwing type weapon for the sand biome? Like, the bone glove is a throwing weapon that throws bones, maybe a throwing weapon that turns sand into spears of sand that pierces enemies?

Hardmode tier equipment for throwing weapons would be interesting.
In a world where guns are a thing, any kind of throwing weapon/gear is pointless. I have no idea where this infatuation with throwing things came from, it doesn't make any sense.
One thing I hope 1.3.2 gets is Character Presets.
I'd one-up that, and ask for actual loadouts; you know, the kind that swaps all gear and hotbar items to a saved preset for on-the-fly switching.

In a world where guns are a thing, any kind of throwing weapon/gear is pointless. I have no idea where this infatuation with throwing things came from, it doesn't make any sense.
Throwing gear isn't pointless. Just kind of terrible. Mostly because it has nowhere near the support any of the other damage types have. Kind of like how Summoner was pre-1.3.

Throwing has been a common fantasy-trope for ages. Veterans of the Final Fantasy games are especially attached to it because of the Ninja class that appears in a fair amount of the games in that franchise.

Just because using a gun and shooting things is more effective IRL doesn't mean throwing can't be effective or fun in Terraria. Some people like fulfilling a fantasy with their characters. And Throwing items, armor, weapons, and accessories help open that fantasy up to people who are interested in it.

I, myself, would like to see more support for the Throwing damage type. But I also think with it as a damage type (and thus a class type), it makes more sense to have yo-yo's and boomerang weapons as Throw damage instead of Melee.

And yet you have swords, bows and yoyos, which are viable in hardmode.
Its almost as if Terraria is a game.

You say that, yet Daybreak remains one of the best weapons for Moon Lord's second form that I've ever seen. It's also quite powerful in other applications too.

Yes, yes, I know, it says "Melee", but Daybreak is NOT a melee weapon in any shape, form, or manner. It was merely labelled Melee because there's no Hardmode Throwing support.

And yet you have swords, bows and yoyos, which are viable in hardmode.
Its almost as if Terraria is a game.
Uh-huh...

Swords are good for knockback, when stuff gets too close to aim. Better to just swing.
Bows are the ranged choice before you get viable guns. Also good for applying effects and very specific circumstances where the special arrows are more effective.
Yo-Yos are fantastic for knockback, and can attack around corners.

Throwing weapons? you... throw them. They do melee damage. They don't really have any knockback. You need to estimate the arc properly. You lose the weapon itself... Yeah, not convinced.
Throwing has been a common fantasy-trope for ages. Veterans of the Final Fantasy games are especially attached to it because of the Ninja class that appears in a fair amount of the games in that franchise.

Just because using a gun and shooting things is more effective IRL doesn't mean throwing can't be effective or fun in Terraria. Some people like fulfilling a fantasy with their characters. And Throwing items, armor, weapons, and accessories help open that fantasy up to people who are interested in it.

I, myself, would like to see more support for the Throwing damage type. But I also think with it as a damage type (and thus a class type), it makes more sense to have yo-yo's and boomerang weapons as Throw damage instead of Melee.
So basically it's because of nostalgia. Gotcha, thanks for clarifying that.

Also, there's a difference between effective and efficient. Throwing weapons get the job done, until you find a real ranged weapon to replace them.

The throwing weapons in Terraria are simply outclassed by everything else in the game (save the Copper Shortsword). If they're to make "throwing" a class, they need to re-vamp the whole system in addition to making gear. If they manage to make them like they did with yo-yos, then I'll agree that throwing might be a nice way to play the game (if you feel inclined to limit yourself to a single weapon type [...]).
You say that, yet Daybreak remains one of the best weapons for Moon Lord's second form that I've ever seen. It's also quite powerful in other applications too.

Yes, yes, I know, it says "Melee", but Daybreak is NOT a melee weapon in any shape, form, or manner. It was merely labelled Melee because there's no Hardmode Throwing support.
The very last throwing weapon is the only one that I consider useful, and mainly because of the fact that it acts unlike all other throwing weapons (auto-use, fast speed, low falloff, huge applied DoT, infinite use). Sorry, that's not a good argument.

Also, what's your definition of a melee weapon? Mine is: any cold (white) weapon which transforms muscle energy into damage. So... yes, throwing is melee (unless it's thrown by a balista).

But enough of this discussion. I really don't care what weapon they add for a (potential) desert chest. I just want them to add bits and bobs to the game until it's done or T2 / T:OW is released, so I can put it on a flash drive, dip it in gold, place it on a velvet pillow, and lock it in a time capsule.

Last edited:
It is true that throwing weapons are outclassed by the other types of weapons. That's partly because they aren't that well developed.
I can think of 2 solutions -

1) Fold thrown weapons into melee weapons, and reconfigure Fossil and Ninja armor to be melee buffs with a set bonus that conserves thrown weapon ammo

2) Make boomerangs thrown weapons, and allow one to recollect thrown projectiles. Introduce armor buffs, etc.

Also, what's your definition of a melee weapon? Mine is: any cold (white) weapon which transforms muscle energy into damage. So... yes, throwing is melee (unless it's thrown by a balista).

www.dictionary.com said:
MELEE [mey-ley, mey-ley, mel-ey]

noun
1. a confused hand-to-hand fight or struggle among several people.

Apparently, Melee is supposed to mean a close-range physical fight, so I would surmise that most people view a "Melee Weapon", as a weapon that is held in your hands that directly deals damage to a nearby opponent within its striking range without leaving your hand (IE: not thrown). The weapon itself deals the damage, not a projectile fired from said weapon.

And wouldn't you know it, nearly every other game uses this definition already.

Swords, axes, hammers, spears, flails, etc.

EDIT: Granted, a lot of fantasy settings have things like Beam Swords (Terra Blade, etc), but those are still melee weapons because the sword itself can be used to physically strike someone and it was actually designed for that purpose (unlike a magic wand or staff).

You know, the bone glove in terraria sets an interesting precedent; what if there was a type of thrown weapon that isn't thrown itself, but allows one to throw junk?
For instance - Sling = Thrown weapon, 10 damage, uses stones
- Sand caster = thrown weapon, 20 damage, throws spears of sand
you get the idea.

So basically it's because of nostalgia. Gotcha, thanks for clarifying that.
C'mon, man. Don't be rude by selectively omitting information I provided just to make a snarky remark. :dryadsad:

It's there because it helps fulfill a power fantasy and because it's a common fantasy trope.

I have no idea where this infatuation with throwing things came from, it doesn't make any sense.
Now you know. It just clearly doesn't pertain to you.

Also, there's a difference between effective and efficient. Throwing weapons get the job done, until you find a real ranged weapon to replace them.

The throwing weapons in Terraria are simply outclassed by everything else in the game (save the Copper Shortsword). If they're to make "throwing" a class, they need to re-vamp the whole system in addition to making gear. If they manage to make them like they did with yo-yos, then I'll agree that throwing might be a nice way to play the game (if you feel inclined to limit yourself to a single weapon type [...])
That's why there is support for seeing Throwing expanded. Remember that Summoner was not considered a proper class either before it finally got support via accessories, weapons, and other equipment.

The system doesn't have to be revamped. That's not how programming works. Throwing is already a damage type, and there are already armors that support it. Damage types already have generic and specific modifiers. And the mechanics/animations for throwing are already built and in use. All that is required is to utilize the damage type and it's modifiers in a higher quantity across existing or new things. It's still by no means a small request; but it's very much in the realm of doable for 1.3.2/1.3.3

Now if anyone really wants to be a stick in the mud about a Throwing class though, I think the major argument against it's proper implementation would be that a new Lunar Pillar would have to exist. Long term, I still see this as doable -- especially if they implement new throwing support little by little. But as a lump sum addition, I think the gating of needing to create new enemies for a new pillar would be the development bottleneck.

Still, here's hoping.

There would also be the issue of where to spawn the new pillar.

4 Pillars is optimal, as they can be evenly distributed across the map and away from the spawn.

In order for there to be a 5th pillar, it would have to be above world spawn, and that's a bit tricky as most players have their spawn there.

It would be more feasible to be able to combine solar and vortex essences to create thrown specific equipment (melee + range = throwing)

Back
Top Bottom