Official Terraria-Based Toys Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the risk of multiposting, let me share something from a discussion with one of my friends about this.

a3329214133708ad7ac45fdea869fc0f3dad1e78.jpg

That is the Steam trading card art for the Night's Edge. So that's as official a depiction of what it should actually look like in real life as you can get. The point of showing this? We've already seen Terraria depicted in a semirealistic style. So why couldn't the toys look like that? That Night's Edge up there? I would buy a toy based off that, even if it were in a more rounded off, kid-friendly style. There was no reason at all to go the super-abstract 3D simulated pixels route. That style works for Minecraft merchandise because it's what Minecraft assets in-game actually look like. Terraria's style is different, though. It's retro, not simplistic. The toys ought to look like Terraria's items brought to life, not just pixels blown up and stretched out. I mean...it kind of works for the plush toys, and even making the figures look more like the plushes would have been better than what we got, but there is an established aesthetic that's just going to waste, here.

I really do like the Night's Edge, but it just looks weird. There's pixels everywhere on that sword and I was confused. But, I'll still buy it though.

Love the plushies. But figures based on the animated series?
To be honest, the series from element ruins terraria for me. I try to avoid it since it looks like an animated minecraft mod. In addition, the series does not make any sense!! It totally lost the Terraria feel. I'm disappointed.

Over 3,400 hours logged into terraria, and as the former president of the united states and a commie-slayer,
These are mostly ugly. The plushies are nice, but the characters don't even resemble their in-game renderings, and to be blunt, the sword is just an embarrassment. My favorite item here is the slime, because it actually resembles what a slime might look like, and it's nice to look at.

There was no reason at all to go the super-abstract 3D simulated pixels route. That style works for Minecraft merchandise because it's what Minecraft assets in-game actually look like. Terraria's style is different, though. It's retro, not simplistic. The toys ought to look like Terraria's items brought to life, not just pixels blown up and stretched out.
If they had done that, simply taking the actual night's edge sprite and making it a full sized prop sword thing, it still would have looked about 50x better than that thing they made.

I understand the pixels are part of the style but do they really hold up to the standards of physical objects in the real world? Would kids actually see these toys and want them? Will they promote terraria?

Will they promote terraria?
That's the important question, isn't it?

Right now, I'm inclined to say no. Or, no where the plastic toys are concerned, at least. First of all, they don't much resemble the in-game assets, or even artists representations of in-game assets (see my earlier post). That means that you're working off of name recognition alone, which creates a double-edged sort of pitfall. If people really like the toys, they may be disappointed to learn that the game looks nothing like them. On the other hand, this thread is already illustrating quite plainly how disappointed people that like the game can be in the less-than-faithful translation to three dimensional toys. Worse than that, though, as I and many others have pointed out, the current crop of toys are very reminiscent of Minecraft. Once again, this causes two problems, in addition to the others I mentioned. Not only does it further obstruct brand recognition, allowing people to confuse the Terraria and Minecraft toy lines, but as the games are already frequently compared to one another, it only further encourages people to think of Terraria as "That game that's kind of like Minecraft, but not.", which isn't necessarily a favourable or desirable association, unless one is banking on confused parents who can't tell the difference as their primary market...and while that may generate some sales, it ultimately means being remembered only as an unwanted imposter.

All of these really bother me... one thing that's always bothered me is a cross between pixels and rounded edges/curves. To me that kind of thing just looks really bad. Pick one or the other. The player figure has square, pixelly hair, but the zombie has rounded hair. The eyeball is just a sphere. Why are almost none of the sprites from the actual game? The grass looks nothing like the in-game textures. These look like unlicensed products, not official merchandise.

Awesome work on getting the merchandise on the shelfs! Definitly looking forward to seeing it in the near future!

Heh, if you guys are going to make additional Plush Toys in the future, I wouldn't mind having a Mini Golem on top of my shelf.

At this rate though, are you guys planning on marketing official clothing, such as shirts and hoodies, in the near future?

More boss plushies would be great. I'd love to see a meter long Eater of Worlds (with velcro pieces!) and a massive, 3 meter Destroyer, complete with probe plushies that fit into sockets on it.

On hoodies, how about about an Eye of Cthulhu boss mask hoodie? That'd be so cool.

I'm disappointed by the plastic figures, especially Night's Edge.

As promised, MSRPs are listed below. For the unfamiliar, MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) is pricing guidance given by the manufacturer of any product to the end retailers. Retailers have no requirement to charge those prices (could be higher or lower), but MSRPs are generally good for at least establishing the price range for a product. Please read that explanation twice before saying that the final prices are different next week (if they happen to be). :)

Single Pack Figure w/ Accessories - $8.99 each

World Collector’s Pack - $19.99

Nights Edge Sword - $14.99

Small Plush - $8.99 each

Feature Plush - $19.99 each

Will add this as a spoiler to the OP
In English money? For us Brits out there?

EDIT: I so want to see a Nerf gun like Megashark and Minishark....

your avatar resembles the person on the new cover for Terraria on Cosnsoles. If this was intentional, I accept my idiocy and will go sit in a corner.
Completely unintentional. 505 released the new box art several months after I drew this character (my in game character)

I was thinking, maybe it's not their fault that the figures are reminiscent of minecraft... maybe it our fault for not giving Terraria a specific art style for when it's represented outside of the games. If we were going to make toys based on things in the game, what would they look like? Would they look like cartoons, or realistic? Would they look similar to anime, would they look hand-drawn? No one ever said what Terraria's art style is, all they had to go by was the game itself, which is based on pixel art. And since that's all they had, they based the toys on the most popular game that's pixel based, which is minecraft.

In my honest opinion, Those terraria plastic figures look rather lazily done to me, It looks like they scraped the paint off of their minecraft figures and the added a horrid pixelly blend to them. I would have found it much better if they stuck to terrarias cartoony style instead of minecraft-esque. And don't even get me started on that Nights Edge. I have to say that the plushies are my favorite part of this and I hope they do more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom