Terraria: Otherworld Changing of the Guard: An Update from Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like people are complaining for the sake of complaining now
Big news about terraria otherworld coming, and a great wave of people arrives, who complain about there not being news. What is wrong with us?

I think there are legitimate reasons to complain or voice opinion. We saw a trailer, got hyped when it was supposed to be released a long time ago.Then we have long periods of silence where nothing is said. Then we get hyped that a big announcement is coming up and it's pretty much "we're still working on it.........check back later"

I still love Terraria and I don't mind waiting but I can't sugar coat it and say I'm super excited and not disappointed at all. They even said expect more silence until they get hunkered down.

I understand the quality before speed stance which is great but I feel like developers sometimes hide behind that stance to cover up other things such as lack of communication and transparency.

Troubled waters for sure, but I like that they're aren't giving up on their baby. They seem to have a good team in place, so I'm cool with it. Good luck to them all.

I wonder why it is called 'Changing of the Guard" Found the title weird.
For the sake of clarity it is a reference to the saying, "Changing of the Guard." Quite literally it means switching out the sentries at key points with new ones. The most famous instance being the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace.

Back on-topic, excited to hear word about T:OW. I'm content to wait as long as it takes for the game to measure up to Re-Logic's standards of quality.

It's great to see that re-logic is focusing on quality rather than speed. So many game developers rush things and cut corners, and it is ver discouraging. Take all the time you need! :)

Already covered the reason for the second silence and the logic behind that. To repeat for any that missed it - when we "came back" last year with the revamped Engine team, clearly everyone had high hopes that would get things on the right track. That would have, of course, come with spoilers and such along the way.

When it became apparent this wasn't going to be the case, the decisions aren't as simplistic as portrayed by some. We took the path of "have an actual path forward and solution before sharing the problem". I still believe that was and is the correct call as compared to "Engine is out" followed by "we will see what happens with the game now"... the chaos and speculation from that would have been far, FAR worse. I do not believe that generic "it's being worked on" fixes anything either (as evidenced by how people reacted to similar such responses over the months.

The "third silence" mentioned in the OP is kind of a given in regards to showing work that PW is doing...as they actually have to produce said work to show first. ;)

As with any dev project, that starts with planning and design alignment - which isn't really "spoiler material". Nothing more nefarious than that - assuming things get on the right road as we all confidently expect, then no one should have to worry about all of these unfortunate communication issues again.

We all get and hear the issues and frustrations - not making excuses any more than we are saying such silences are ideal - all we can do is share the "why" like we have and our plans moving ahead. The rest, time will tell - but I'm pretty confident that a fun journey happy ending is in store. :)

Some will enter that with skepticism and others with optimism - but our hope and plan is to deliver what we said we would to both. Not sure what else to say really. ;)

Thanks @Loki for the additional summary and continued reassurances. I am going to be casting away doubts and frustrations and restart my outlook on this game with a fresh perspective. Looking forward to the game, the development updates, and the time in between.

i just saw this. and its Amazing! :D HYYYYYYPE! :dryadgrin:
[doublepost=1491360294,1491360135][/doublepost]@Loki will you have a test build for us?

Few things.

1) it's good to finally get an update. This was looking like vaporware and it's nice to hear that it's not

2) glad to hear quality trumps all

3) despite some assertions, this is NOT a step forward for the game. It may appear that way internally, but to us, it went from "is this a release announcement?" to "we're going back to the drafting table" in the time it took us to read a few paragraphs of the OP and realize just how bad things were.

Make no mistake: this doesn't feel like forward progress to a community that expected the game to be released over a year ago. It may BE forward progress, but that's only because we had far different expectations for what was happening versus what actually was happening.

Basically, the disappointment you guys on staff felt when things went south is where WE are now. Things just went south for us. I'm glad for you (and the game) that things are on the upswing and you have Hope For The Future again, but we're gonna need to go through the stages of grief first before we can come to Acceptance. (Grandiose, yes, but fundamentally true)

Sad to see some mixed opinions on the matter. Hopefully as things come together, people will change their tone a little. If there is one positive thing that has come of this, it's the lessons learned from the experience. Much like how we, as people, undergo positive change through life lessons, so too, do some companies undergo such changes (they are made of people, after all). Sure, things could have been avoided, but the concept of this game did come, in part, from Engine, so had Re-Logic never cooperated with them, this project may not have even started, or might not have started until years later. At least now, Re-Logic has a clearer vision, and they are now able to move forward with it. Plus, as @Loki has stated, the entire project won't be scrapped, but rather, they will salvage all they can from it, so it's not going to be a total loss.

Anyway, I realize some will think me silly for such a mindset, but from where I work, we don't make data points to bring people down or to fire them. We use them as tools to encourage individual growth, which in turn, makes the company grow.

Kiddles, I don't disagree with your post.

However, I also have no qualms about my disappointment.

This DOES raise the bar, mind you. When there's this much drama surrounding a much-anticipated release, then expectations go up dramatically after massive revamps and delays.

And this isn't the first massive revamp/delay.

So while Re-Logic stock is still high in my book, this game will probably have to win me over a bit now instead of have my full unquestioning support like it would have before the snafus.

I heard a rumor it's not coming for PC?Steam. Is this true?

Also: That bookshelf in the picture has a Water Bolt in it. :dryadwink:

It's guaranteed to be coming to PC on Steam for sure, along with Mac and PS4/Xbox One.

I don't know anything about if other platforms like GOG will be considered or not. That'll likely take place in the future when the Developers have better sorted everything out.

oh okay, new developer new system gameplay...
i see, i see, so its gonna be a whole different game then

Kiddles, I don't disagree with your post.

However, I also have no qualms about my disappointment.

This DOES raise the bar, mind you. When there's this much drama surrounding a much-anticipated release, then expectations go up dramatically after massive revamps and delays.

And this isn't the first massive revamp/delay.

So while Re-Logic stock is still high in my book, this game will probably have to win me over a bit now instead of have my full unquestioning support like it would have before the snafus.

Understandable. For some people, seeing is believing after all. Hopefully Pipeworks can deliver on Re-Logic's expectations. All eyes are on them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom