tModLoader Reduced Grinding

I made a lot of changes. Some configuration options have been changed, so if you want to fix your configuration file for the new update, use ctrl+f to search for these lines to fix them:
  • ExpertLootAncientNecroHelmetIncrease removed (LootAncientNecroHelmetIncrease now works for both difficulties)
  • BagSkeletronBoneKey is now BagSkeletronBoneKeyIncrease
  • FishCatchBecomesReaverShark is now FishCatchBecomesReaverSharkBeforeEyeOfCthulhuEaterOfWorldsAndSkeletron
  • FishCatchBecomesSawtoothShark is now FishCatchBecomesSawtoothSharkBeforeEyeOfCthulhuEaterOfWorldsAndSkeletron
other changes made:
  • Fixed bug, where mod only gives 1 coral stone block for quest reward.
  • Added all quest reward furniture items
  • Extractinator configuration are now affective by Dessert Fossil in the same way that they are in vanilla.
  • Reaver and Sawtooth Sharks configurations are now based on game progression
  • Fixed bug that allowed you to get Crystal Serpent outside of the Hallow.
  • Revised the way mod configurations change crates. Now it will only change crates if the fishing catch already caught a crate. Crate changing is now disabled by default for the next change.
  • A new configuration will make it so fishing power can upgrade crates depending on the amout of fishing power.
  • Fish catching configurations are now affected by "fishing power / 257" (instead of 195). The max power required for crates to upgrade to gold is 282.
  • New Chlorophyte Accelerator which allows you to craft Chlorophyte Ore.
  • New Time Potion which allows you to skip to night time and clear the Enchanted Sundial cooldown.
  • Jungle Crates have a chance of giving Seaweed, Flower Boots, Living Mahogany Wand, and Rich Mahogany Leaf Wand
  • Wood, Iron, and Golden Crates have a Chance of giving Living Loom, Leaf Wand, and Living Wood Wand.
  • Living Loom now allows you to craft Living Wood Chest.
  • Ice Slimes and Spiked Ice Slimes have a chance of dropping Fish (Summoning Item).
  • Tomb Crawler and Dune Splicer have a chance of dropping a Pyramid Treasure item.
This is also a big change: For those who just downloaded the mod, or want to fill in all of the non-configured lines in the configuration file, I have pre-configured the whole mod (some things set to 0 or false, but this is either because I felt like it was either too easy or unnecessary because of newly invented configurations). If you want to compare new and old configuration files:
You can use a text comparison tool like this one: http://www.textdiff.com/ . Drag the old file to the desktop, reload the mod to generate a new file, then use the tool to compare them.

A while back when this mod was just starting out, I had people vote on drop rates, but afterwards, I was able to add configurations and the voting faded away, since people can add their own configurations. I realized that there is around 400 lines that aren't configured, and most people probably don't want to have to make their own changes to all of that, so I went into the game and tested everything that wasn't configured.

I updated:
  • BagSkeletronBoneKeyIncrease changed back to BagSkeletronBoneKey (sorry about this, I mixed this up with another item that Skeletron does drop). The line is then moved right below WoodenIronAndGoldCrateLivingWoodWand then LootBookofSkullsIncrease is moved right below that (this the new non-expert boss loot section).
  • Added more non-expert boss loot rates.

Do you plan on updating this for tmodloader 0.10.0.1? or have a possible ETA? this mod is just so useful
I was having trouble with the newest tModLoader update, but I was able to fix it, so I updated my momd for 0.10.0.1.

If anyone ever wants the older Reduced Grinding version, I kept it in my Dropbox this time and put a link to it in my original post.

I think this is the mod that's causing it, is it intended behavior that the Angler gives me a reward when he gives me a quest and a second reward after completing it?

I think this is the mod that's causing it, is it intended behavior that the Angler gives me a reward when he gives me a quest and a second reward after completing it?
Ah geez, no it's not. That must of happened when I updated it to the new version, they changed the coding for the angler quest. I'm going to try to fix it.

Excellent work on this little mod, I love how you can configure everything!
I was wondering if you would like me to write some quotes for the Chest Seller NPC, and possibly give more name suggestions as well?

I was wondering if you would like me to write some quotes for the Chest Seller NPC, and possibly give more name suggestions as well?

I wasn't aware the chest seller existed until now. How do I get them?

I wasn't aware the chest seller existed until now. How do I get them?
He apparently just spawns as long as theres a vacant room. I havent played myself yet to find out, but this seems to be the case.
Feaw's right, all you need is a vacant house (a different NPC may randomly spawn though).
That would be great, I'd appreciate it.

======================================================================

I updated my mod everyone with these changes:
  • Fixed a bug that caused the Traveling Salesman to sell Pulse Bow and Gatligator before hardmode.
  • Added a new Hermes Boots Recipe.

Last edited:
Well I played a bit, but he doesn't seem to spawn, regardless of the setting in the json file. I have all NPCs spawned that can be spawned right now and have several vacant rooms. Is he supposed to take a long time to spawn (several in-game days) because of the "randomly spawning of a different NPC" ?

Anyways, here are the quotes and names;

5 normal quotes

"You got the looks of an adventurer! Mounds of treasure... discovering them is one thing, but where do you keep them?! That's where my chests come in!"
"Aye, I like you. You remind me of good old me, roaming the lands in search of riches! But there's one thing I like more than that... and that's a neat storage system!"
"Don't have the aptitude for the crafting of those beautiful, mysterious chests all over the globe? I collect them for a hobby, and I am here to sell them!"
"Having trouble throwing stuff away? Why not buy a chest and call it a day? Your hoarding habit is our little secret!"
"One can pray for the growth of countless tentacles for juggling items around... or one can simply use chests!"

1 party quote
"Just between you and me, these chests here are perfect for hiding some of that delicious cake!"

23 names

Benedict
Ranulph
Mike
Locke
John
Ferdinand
Lewis
Nicholas
Aron
Robert
Thor
Jones
Rolf
Tobin
Alexander
George
Francis
Montgomery
Mark
Ross
Adrian
Samuel
Randy

Well I played a bit, but he doesn't seem to spawn, regardless of the setting in the json file. I have all NPCs spawned that can be spawned right now and have several vacant rooms. Is he supposed to take a long time to spawn (several in-game days) because of the "randomly spawning of a different NPC" ?

Anyways, here are the quotes and names;

5 normal quotes

"You got the looks of an adventurer! Mounds of treasure... discovering them is one thing, but where do you keep them?! That's where my chests come in!"
"Aye, I like you. You remind me of good old me, roaming the lands in search of riches! But there's one thing I like more than that... and that's a neat storage system!"
"Don't have the aptitude for the crafting of those beautiful, mysterious chests all over the globe? I collect them for a hobby, and I am here to sell them!"
"Having trouble throwing stuff away? Why not buy a chest and call it a day? Your hoarding habit is our little secret!"
"One can pray for the growth of countless tentacles for juggling items around... or one can simply use chests!"

1 party quote
"Just between you and me, these chests here are perfect for hiding some of that delicious cake!"

23 names

Benedict
Ranulph
Mike
Locke
John
Ferdinand
Lewis
Nicholas
Aron
Robert
Thor
Jones
Rolf
Tobin
Alexander
George
Francis
Montgomery
Mark
Ross
Adrian
Samuel
Randy
Yeah it's probably just by chance that he hasn't appeared yet. My code for his spawnability is this:

Code:
        public override bool CanTownNPCSpawn(int numTownNPCs, int money)
        {
            if (Config.ChestSellerSpawnable)
                return true;
            else
                return false;
        }

Thank's for the names and quotes, I'll add them later, I especially love this part: "Your hoarding habit is our little secret!"

I've also seen a pre-hardmode Pulse Bow from the traveling salesman. Would this fix deal with the same bug or does that need a separate fix since they're separate NPCs?

Sorry, I meant the Traveling Salesman.

Yeah it's probably just by chance that he hasn't appeared yet. My code for his spawnability is this:

Code:
        public override bool CanTownNPCSpawn(int numTownNPCs, int money)
        {
            if (Config.ChestSellerSpawnable)
                return true;
            else
                return false;
        }

Wait, int money? Does that imply he spawns like the normal Merchant does, when carrying a certain amount of money?

Also, Chest Seller as an NPC name seems kind of clunky. You could change it to Collector or Hoarder, if you don't mind it being less straightforward (I get it was added for only gameplay reasons and isn't professional, though).

And another suggestion; craftable Water Walking Boots and Lava Charms?
Water Walking boots with something like 30-50 fins (so you do have to grind a fair bit for it but not tediously so), Hermes Boots/equivalents and 10 Water Walking Potions?

Lava Charm with 20 Fire Blossom, 5 Hellstone Bars, 10 Obsidian Skin Potions, an Obsidian Rose, and a Band of Regeneration (turning a bracelet into a necklace somehow lol).

Last edited:
Wait, int money? Does that imply he spawns like the normal Merchant does, when carrying a certain amount of money?

Also, Chest Seller as an NPC name seems kind of clunky. You could change it to Collector or Hoarder, if you don't mind it being less straightforward (I get it was added for only gameplay reasons and isn't professional, though).

And another suggestion; craftable Water Walking Boots and Lava Charms?
Water Walking boots with something like 30-50 fins (so you do have to grind a fair bit for it but not tediously so), Hermes Boots/equivalents and 10 Water Walking Potions?

Lava Charm with 20 Fire Blossom, 5 Hellstone Bars, 10 Obsidian Skin Potions, an Obsidian Rose, and a Band of Regeneration (turning a bracelet into a necklace somehow lol).
I think Imksushis mod already done the crafting of the water walking boots and lava charm, and if I remember well its less tedious the crafting of those items.

Of course, but this mod also does several other things sushi's mod does, doesn't mean he can't add them. And my recipes are just proposals, dragon is free to make his own recipes.

Back
Top Bottom