dragon3025

Terrarian
REDUCED
icon.png
GRINDING
Version 7.9
for tModLoader Version v2022.07.58.8 for Terraria 1.4.3.6

ABOUT THIS MOD

This mod isn't supposed to make the game too easy, but makes it so you don't have to spend huge amounts of time farming for loot. It may also add other conveniences. It's highly configurable, so you can adjust, enable, or disable features to your liking.

HOW IT WORKS
1655423567113.png
Extra Enemy Loot Drop Chances

I looked into low item drop rates and low enemy drop rates to figure out what items are difficult to obtain, and gave them an extra drop chance. More recent 1.4 Terraria updates have increased drop rates of several items, but there's still some items that I either increased or just left configurations for. I also added a few custom drops:
  • Terragrim from any Hardmode Boss Bags that are able to drop developer items.
  • Marble from Marble Cave enemies.
  • Snowball Launcher from Ice Spike Slimes.
  • Slime Staff
    • Some view this as a trophy item. For this reason I added a new
      1657951304299.png
      Slime Trophy, which has the same drop rates as Slime Staff in vanilla.
  • 0% by default:
    • Slime Staff from Slime King.
    • Truffle Worm from Duke Fishron.
    • Sand or Desert fossil from Dune Splicer or Tomb Crawler (all separate min/max settings for each).
By default, item values will be scaled to the new total drop chance. New_Value = Old_Value * (Old_Chance / New_Total_Chance).

GreaterBattlePotion.png
Greater Battle Potion and
SuperBattlePotion.png
Super Battle Potion

Increase max spawns and spawn rates from enemies. Taking on more enemies can be a challenge, but if you can handle it, you'll be able to obtain items easier. Here's an example image:
Screenshot (183).png

Invasion sizes will also be multiplied by each potion's Max Spawn rate.

Note: Experience lag is probably unlikely, but if it happens try it with reduced max spawns before trying it with reduced spawn rate. Some drops are at 0 by default, this is in case anyone isn't able to use these potions at default settings or higher. Consider turning these drops up if that's the case.

1655423605688.png
Fishing

• MultiBobberPotion.png
    Multi-Bobber Potion: Crafted with 3 critters with separate tiers of critter bait levels: 0-19, 20-24, and 25+. By default, it'll allow you to use 10 bobbers at a time.
  • Added a chance for Angler to reset after all Angler Armor-wearing players have finished their quest. By default, chances are 0% before Hardmode, 1/2 Hardmode, and 1/2 after Plantera.

1655423948155.png
Time Acceleration

By default, this mod increases time flow while sleeping. It can be increased further by the following:
  • If any player has a buff from a new
    1655414714038.png
    Sleep Potion.
  • You can also craft a
    1655414725559.png
    Time Charm at an Enchanted Sundial. Using it, toggles it on or off for the world.
By default, the max amount reachable is 60 in-game minutes per real-world second. This is the speed of an Enchanted Sundial, but that doesn't make the Sundial useless. The Sundial also increases the speed of other things and can be used during a Solar Eclipse.

1656886729791.png
Rare Item Placement After World Generation

At the end of world generation, this mod will look for certain items that the world is missing and place them randomly in certain chest:
  • Pyramid items into Sandstone Chests.
  • Bee Minecart into an Ivy Chest.
  • Ladybug Minecart and Sunflower Minecart into Living Wood Chests (Regular Chest if it runs out of Living Wood Chests to place in).
  • Mushroom Chest items into Mushroom Chests (Gold Chest in a 840 tile wide center of the world if it runs out of Mushroom Chests to place in).
  • By default, 1 generated gold chest will have a Terragrim added to it.
I also gave Sand Elemental a chance to drop Sandstorm in a Bottle and gave Finch Staff a chance to drop from Tree Shaking.

1655423750134.png
Crates

• Dungeon Color furniture from Dungeon and Stockade crates (random color).
  • King, Queen, Heart, Star, and Bomb statue drop chances from Gold, Iron, and Wood crates and their Hardmode variants.
  • Recipes for Downgrade Hardmode Crate into Pre-Hardmode Crate (useful if you want to decorate with them).
  • 0% default, extra chance to drop Enchanted Sundial.

1655423782368.png
Traveling Merchant

Off by default, I added a configuration for more shop rolls (if it fails every item chance, the roll will get skipped to prevent an infinite loop crash). I also added an extra chance of dropping items with rare conditions or late game requirements:
  • 1/13 Christmas Paintings.
  • 1/100 Pulse Bow.
  • 0% by default
    • Martian Paintings.
    • Not a Kid or a Squid Painting.

1655423789138.png
Holiday Timeline

I added a new Holiday Timeline feature. Set the amount of days in each month (2 by default). There are 12 months. Halloween will be the last day in October and Christmas will be around the end of December. The Merchant will now sell a
1659849228025.png
Calendar which will show you the current Date.

1655423811984.png
Misc. Crafting

• Traps are crafted instead of sold by NPCs.
  • Added downgrading recipes for a few Tinker's Items that prevent crafting better items later on. For example: You can craft Blue Horseshoe Balloon into Cloud in a Balloon so you can use it to craft Bundle of Balloons.
  • Universal Pylon. There are 4 settings:
    1. Disabled.
    2. (Default) Crafted out of all other Pylons at a Tinker's Workshop.
    3. Same as 2 except it's crafted at a Crystal Ball.
    4. Same as 3 plus the recipe also requires all Hardmode Souls.
  • 1657951387020.png
    Bestiary Trophy sold by the Zoologist if the Bestiary is 100% complete. This serves as a replacement reward for completing the Bestiary if you have it set to be obtained easier.
  • Dungeon Brick recipes to convert colors and craft to and from Dungeon Brick Platforms.
  • (Will remove after 1.4.4): Celestial Sigil now requires 12 Lunar Fragments to mimic the upcoming 1.4.4 update.
  • Off by default:
    • Recipes for rare chest.
    • Gold Critters using 10 Gold Coins.
    • Increase amount of Powder given when crafting with Vile / Viscous Mushroom.

Other
  • Moon_Ball.pngMoon Ball: Advances Moon Phase. Will stop Blood Moon if set to new moon.
  • Equipping any Ankh Charm material, will cause Ankh Charm material to work in your inventory.
  • If all players are underground after an invasion started, it will cancel it. This includes: Goblin, Pirate, Snow Legion, and Martian.
  • Goblin Battle Standard, Pirate Map, and Snow Globe will work instantly.
  • Set the amount of Shield Health for Lunar Event Pillars (by default, it's the same as vanilla).
  • (Added until 1.4.4 adds the following):
    • Celestial Sigil will summon Moon Lord in 12 seconds.
    • Click-for-Buff station buffs are now infinite (I don't know if 1.4.4 will have this feature for Slice of Cake).
  • Off by default:
    • 1655414760611.png
      Plantera Sap drop chance from Plantera. Summons Plantera.
    • You can reduce the bestiary requirement for Universal Pylon.
    • You can set Skeleton Merchant to ignore moon phases.
    • You can set Merchant to sell Miner's Shirt and Pants.
    • 1657053695793.gif
      Staff of Difficulty. Allows you to switch difficulty mods. It's a creative item, so it's crafted with 1 dirt block for easy and instant use.
To-Do
  • Translations: I'm struggling to get help for this on Discord. I'm starting to think it's broken in tModLoader right now. If you want to help:
    • I have a forum post here about it: link. You can also edit a fork of my mod at GitHub.

DOWNLOAD AND GITHUB LINKS
Download Links
Current version: Download through the mod browser.
Previous Releases: Github Releases
tModLoader: tModLoader Steam Page

GitHub
1655422657732.png

My mod is open source, you can fork my project and make edits. Any work on it is appreciated.
Reduced Grinding Github Page: GitHub Page.
Feedback and questions are appreciated in this thread, but you can also give feedback or report issues at the GitHub issue page: Issues Page.
If you'd like to add translation, the base "en-US.hjson" file can be found here: Localization.

CREDITS
    • Axepoi on Github: Potion consuming acts more like potions (future 1.4 version).
    • Cheezegami: War Potion sprite.
    • Fargowilta: Coding from their repository was used as a base for Staff of Difficulty.
    • sm644me for idea of a secondary Battle Potion item instead of increasing effects of Battle Potion.
    • tModLoader's Discord modding support channel.
    • Everyone's feedback for this mod.
  • Pre-1.4
    • CrimsHallowHero: Rain Potion coding.
    • Feaw: Chest Salesman names and quotes.
    • Flashkirby99: Fish Catching Quality Calculator code.
    • Lavendar Josh: Chest Seller Sprite.
    • Lonely Star: Christmas Elf, Loot Merchant, and Stationary Merchant sprites.
    • ZY10086 for translated v4.68 to Chinese
Thanks to Discord Modding Support and everyone for

COMPATIBILITY
I can make changes that affect other mods if either:
  • It's Open Source.
  • You have IDs from the mod's objects and a link to the author's permission for me to use them.

BUG FINDING CHART
Sometimes it can be hard to find where a bug is coming from or what mod is incompatible with another. Using this chart can help:
Finding Problem Mod.jpg

Last edited:

sm644me

Official Terrarian
This wins all of my yes. All of it, to the point where I would almost say that it needs to be in the vanilla game. Only thing I would recommend is that some items remain as novelty, like the Bone Key. A Skeletron head is cool, but it has no real function, and also doesn't really have the same impact if you farm Skeletron instead of the Dungeon Guardian.

dragon3025

Terrarian
This wins all of my yes. All of it, to the point where I would almost say that it needs to be in the vanilla game. Only thing I would recommend is that some items remain as novelty, like the Bone Key. A Skeletron head is cool, but it has no real function, and also doesn't really have the same impact if you farm Skeletron instead of the Dungeon Guardian.
This makes sense. I feel like pet items are fun and it shouldn't be very hard to get them, but I actually was questioning whether I should do so for the bone key, because it's like having a trophy, it tells other players "look what I did". I'll probably remove it from the Skeletron bag, but I think I'll put up a poll first to see what everyone thinks.

dragon3025

Terrarian
turtle shell higher drop chance would be great :D
I forgot about how tedious it was to get Turtle Shell. I equipped my character in hallowed gear, entered the jungle with battle, ironskin, regen, and hunter potions to test it out. So, I increased it to 50% (I think it can also help to have a teleport to the nurse). I also noticed that Frozen Turtle Shell is 1%, so I increased it to 20%.

General Milky

Terrarian
50% may be too high, but yeah, good on the turtle shells being increased. Thing while you're at this that you can make Nazar less of a pain in the :red: to get? It and blindfold are the two Ankh Shield components that are the most annoying to get. The rest kind of are too, but those in specific are awful.

dragon3025

Terrarian
50% may be too high, but yeah, good on the turtle shells being increased. Thing while you're at this that you can make Nazar less of a pain in the :red: to get? It and blindfold are the two Ankh Shield components that are the most annoying to get. The rest kind of are too, but those in specific are awful.
I didn't survive too easily with hallowed gear and the turtles where few among the hordes of enemies when I used a battle potion, but I'm going to put a poll up when possible, to see what people think the turtle shell percentage should be. I went into the hallow and with the same gear and same potions and tried to kill enchanted swords for the Nazar. I'm thinking it should be something like 5%, but I'd like to put a poll up for those items too.

dragon3025

Terrarian
Okay, I took the percentages that everybody voted in the poll and averaged them out for the Turtle Shell drop, which is 20%. Now I'm working on setting up a poll for Nazar, after that will be Blindfold, unless I discover an item that might need more attention than it.

EDIT: I'm giving Crimslime the Blindfold drop also. I'm starting with a Blindfold poll.

Last edited:

sm644me

Official Terrarian
Maybe I'm weird, but I don't feel like the blindfold needs it's rate increased that much. Crim/Corrupt Slimes along with Dark Mummies are really, really common. At this point, the blindfold is just a rare/uncommon drop from two common enemies to be farmed at once.

The Nazar definitely needs to be buffed though. It's a rare drop from a rare enemy, and no one likes it.

dragon3025

Terrarian
A huge problem with this kind of mod, is that everyone has a different idea of what a good drop rate would be. The polls seem pretty spread out on this one, so I might add blindfold as an 1 or 2 add-ons instead. Does anybody know if I make a configuration file for this mod (so everyone can tweak the drop rates), if it will cause this mod to not work for multiplayer? If it would work for multiplayer, would the host's configuration get used for all players?

xMewdrianx

Pixel Pirate
Will the trifold map ever have an increased spawn rate? I spent 4 hours farming for one and I got 6 blessed apples... and I still don't have it...

dragon3025

Terrarian
Will the trifold map ever have an increased spawn rate? I spent 4 hours farming for one and I got 6 blessed apples... and I still don't have it...
I'll add a poll for it after Nazar and Rod of Discord. For now I added a configuration option for it. You may have to add:
Code:
  "ExpertLootTrifoldMapIncrease": 0.0,
  "LootTrifoldMapIncrease": 0.0,
to the json file if it's already been generated. (Then you can adjust the "0.0" part of it).

dragon3025

Terrarian
Dude, might want to double check drop rate of lizard egg. In the config, it is written that the increase is 9%
In the config it's 0.9% and this gets added to the default drop rate which is 0.1%, so it adds up to 1%.

EDIT: Oh wait, 9%, okay I see what you mean. I'll fix that as soon as I can.

EDIT: Okay, I fixed it.

Last edited:

IDFC

Skeletron Prime
This mod looks amazing, as building farms can take a long time. My suggestion is to search up all items that have a drop rate of <10% and increase the drop rate to something higher but reasonable.

Please do it for all ankh charm materials as it is one of my favorite items.

Top Bottom