Should terraria have a lore?

• Yeah

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Nah

Votes: 34 72.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot of things in terraria that are really mysterious and stuff. So should a sort of lore (not story through) try and connect it? Or should it remain mysterious and cryptic like it is?

Personally I think some explanation for the basic stuff of what happens in terraria would be alright for me. But nothing else really.

It would be very difficult to link everything together, and if it were to happen then it would probably be very bad. There's no real link between what happens in a solar eclipse and the mech bosses, and the lihzahrd temple, and the wave events, and the NPCs.. You get the idea.

Besides, lores can limit what the developers can do as they would have to make it fit in. I'd say that lores should be left for those who like making up theories for this.

Exactly as many have said, the game is open to interpretation. Have lore, don't, or just fight bosses. The choice is yours and that's the magic.

No. It's like magic tricks - it's only fun until they explain how the trick works, then you're left with a boring thing which bores you with boredom.

Terraria's world is too much of an Everythingtopia to really withstand the process of trying to make sense of all of it. The end result will be disappointing in one or many ways.

It's a case of "not broken, don't fix it by ramming it with a sledgehammer."

I think that not having a specific planned out lore with every tons of detail is one of Terraria's many advantages.

It allows for fans' creativity to flow... letting them write stories, draw art, and build within the world without being constricted by a premade state of mind that only allows for these things to be made within the constraints of the lore.

Imo it should stay how it is: minimal lore with only hints to stoke ones creativity :)

Last edited:
What Mystery said, but also...

If we allow lore to seep in, surely logic will follow. And, well, what's not fun about healing yourself by drinking a bottle of water while drowning?

I don't think it should. Maybe some (not too clear) relations between certain characters, like we already have with the Nurse and the Arms Dealer, the Mechanic and the Goblin Tinkerer, ect. but any more lore than that would be too much, in my opinion.
The lack of storyline is one of the things that make Terraria fun. It allows for more creativity (which is always good in a sandbox game) and imagination.

I'd love for there to be more lore. Not, like, outright quests and stuff like that - but maybe, for example, you kill the EoW and you can maybe see a guy it ate flying out as it dies, you find a abandoned mining hut and you find some sort of vague note, in the dungeon you find a book that you can read, stuff like that. Just things hinting at the idea that you're not alone in the world.

I'd love for there to be more lore. Not, like, outright quests and stuff like that - but maybe, for example, you kill the EoW and you can maybe see a guy it ate flying out as it dies, you find a abandoned mining hut and you find some sort of vague note, in the dungeon you find a book that you can read, stuff like that. Just things hinting at the idea that you're not alone in the world.

Oh yeah, stuff like this I wouldn't mind at all. Little tidbits of information to help people's imagination are always nice. As long as it's not a big story line connecting everything in the game.

That would be really cool! Not a story, but lore and background you can discover as you play the game. Imagine finding an old journal telling of a 'horrific beast', leading to you fighting one of the bosses.

That's the magic about sandbox games. Nothing is explained, so that you can make up your own story for your characters and the worlds they live in

GTA, The Elder Scrolls,.. I could go on. Some sandbox games have things explained.

It would be very difficult to link everything together, and if it were to happen then it would probably be very bad. There's no real link between what happens in a solar eclipse and the mech bosses, and the lihzahrd temple, and the wave events, and the NPCs.. You get the idea.

Besides, lores can limit what the developers can do as they would have to make it fit in. I'd say that lores should be left for those who like making up theories for this.

It wouldn't terribly hard to link things. It could be progressive. I mean, how many times have we seen a show where a character is killed off, only to appear later on. They invent ways for characters and things to come back.
How does lore limit anything? Look at comic books.

The Angler gives quests. We are definitely not alone. NPCs and enemies are everywhere.

So yeah, Terraria could definitely have lore. I really want to know where all of those zombies are coming from. And why do slimes attack you? Why are all of the creatures out to get you. I never see them go after any of the NPCs, even if they're standing next to you.

The reason why i said "Nah" was because Terraria is a Sandbox game meaning that there is no end and it's infinite. You make up the story :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom