Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Eh, not really.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

yudgefudge

The Destroyer
The Celestial Cuffs & Mana Flower are both mana based weapons that don't boost magic damage. The Celestial Emblem (and sorcerer emblem, but I don't usually count the class emblems) is the only item that boosts magic damage, and it uses up your Celestial Magnet, and doesn't even fit thematically.
I whipped up a simple accessory, its earlygame, has a hardmode tinker and will be useful for magic buffs.
Star Badge.png

Star Badge
Crafted from 1 Fallen Star and 8 Iron/Lead Bars.
+8% magic damage
+2% magic critical strike chance

A simple accessory you can craft after the first night.

Star Mirror.png

Star Mirror
Tinkered from a Star Badge and a Pocket Mirror.
+13% magic damage
+3% magic critical strike chance
Immunity to Stoned

And lastly:
Incom T-65 Mirror
Tinkered from a Star Mirror and an Avenger Emblem.
+17% magic damage
+5% magic critical strike chance
Immunity to Stoned
Has a 5% chance to reflect a projectile for 50% the damage.
Tooltip:
"I have the high ground!"

Last edited:
That first accessory is a little too strong for how cheap it is. Either nerf the Star Badge or make it more expensive to craft, I think.

That first accessory is a little too strong for how cheap it is. Either nerf the Star Badge or make it more expensive to craft, I think.
Urm, maybe you're overestimating it? Let's take the most powerful magic weapons of pre-hardmode (all values are rounded up):
Flamelash: 40 (43 when increasing, 134 DPS)
Space Gun: 19 (21 when increasing, 76 DPS)
Bee Gun: 9 (10 when increasing, 52 DPS)
Demon Scythe: 35 (38 when increasing, 118 DPS)
Water Bolt: 19 (21 when increasing, 75 DPS)
All these do not take in the boost of Meteor armor, but anyone not using the Space Gun wont use it anyways. The Star Badge barely boosts it, so I think I shouldn't really change anything - may make it less cheaper maybe.

Don't forget all of the gem robes.

I think the first two are a little overpowered and can be obtained too easily, the final one seems alright, though 20% magic increase is quite a bit.

Urm, maybe you're overestimating it? Let's take the most powerful magic weapons of pre-hardmode (all values are rounded up):
Flamelash: 40 (43 when increasing, 134 DPS)
Space Gun: 19 (21 when increasing, 76 DPS)
Bee Gun: 9 (10 when increasing, 52 DPS)
Demon Scythe: 35 (38 when increasing, 118 DPS)
Water Bolt: 19 (21 when increasing, 75 DPS)
All these do not take in the boost of Meteor armor, but anyone not using the Space Gun wont use it anyways. The Star Badge barely boosts it, so I think I shouldn't really change anything - may make it less cheaper maybe.
Yes, but then you get into hardmode, and this thing increases damage even further. Also, all of those things you said were balanced for post eater, while the item itself is pre-everything.
Don't forget all of the gem robes.

I think the first two are a little overpowered and can be obtained too easily, the final one seems alright, though 20% magic increase is quite a bit.
Did I seriously just hear you say that the pocket mirror is too easy to get?

Did I seriously just hear you say that the pocket mirror is too easy to get?
That was literally exactly what I was about to say.
Yes, but then you get into hardmode, and this thing increases damage even further. Also, all of those things you said were balanced for post eater, while the item itself is pre-everything.
Since the values will go down pre-eater, its gonna be less powerful.

Like, speaking with the Vilethorn, it just gets raised by a singular point. The Diamond Staff gets raised by two points.
With the Mirror, the Sky Fracture is boosted by 4 points, the Golden Shower by 2 points, and the Rainbow Rod by 9 points (maybe this last one is a bit much.)
With the Incom Mirror, the Bat Scepter is boosted by 9 points, Betsy's Wrath by 13 points, Nebula Blaze by 26 points, and the last prism/lunar flare by 20 points.
The increases of the Incom Mirror will barely mean anything when bosses will be shoving around 45k hp.

My problem is less that it's "too powerful" (it isn't, earlygame Magic is a joke) and more that it's just.. bizarre? It's weird to see a "class"-typed accessory be available so early when they don't really start being implemented until Wall of Flesh, and the vast majority of other "class"-typed accessories use the Emblems as a base.

It's also strange to see this incorporate the Pocket Mirror as well. Stoned is already an incredibly rare debuff that you only see in certain places of your map, also while underground. Why should waving a fancy gem staff around give you the right to be immune to the Stoned debuff while also increasing your damage and critical hit rate?

Why is the Pocket Mirror an ingredient at all? Like, yeah, the Pocket Mirror is pretty much useless for how niche it is, but we'd be better off with a "Mirror Shield" reforge on the Ankh Shield so that everyone could benefit from it and have it as a final QoL step instead of attaching it to a class-specific damage emblem, adding more mandatory tedious grinding (that, quite frankly, people are not going to do without Razorblade Typhoon or Magnet Sphere) if you want to maximize your damage output.

I'm cool with earlygame "class"-typed accessories. But everything from this is just incoherent, even by Terraria's standards.

The only consistent theming is that you use Fallen Stars to craft it.

I personally want to say a better starting point would be using Mana Regeneration Band in something offensively-inclined instead of as a Mana battery, like an Emblem that grants 10% damage along with the Band's effect on Mana regeneration. This gives you an option for more up-front and immediate damage that doesn't require gluing yourself to spikes to sustain it, nor forcing you to use a Mana Flower to tank your damage with Mana Sickness.

Last edited:
View attachment 236686
Star Badge
Crafted from 1 Fallen Star and 8 Iron/Lead Bars.
+8% magic damage
+2% magic critical strike chance

A simple accessory you can craft after the first night.

View attachment 236685
Star Mirror
Tinkered from a Star Badge and a Pocket Mirror.
+13% magic damage
+5% magic critical strike chance
Immunity to Stoned
Has a 5% chance to reflect a projectile for 60% the damage.

And lastly:
Incom T-65 Mirror
Tinkered from a Star Mirror and an Avenger Emblem.
+20% magic damage
+9% magic critical strike chance
Immunity to Stoned
Has a 5% chance to reflect a projectile for 75% the damage.
Tooltip:
"It's useless, I have the high ground!"

The first thing is a pretty good PHM item that i'll probably be carrying for the entire tier till emblems appear. Should probably need to be obtained later due to how long it can last you, but it seems fine otherwise.

The second is overtuned, it has the same worth of a Destroyer Emblem on top of a little chance to dodge things, and as tiny as that chance is, it adds up.

Then we have a third form it doesn't even need that breaks it completely by being a 30% dps up in one item.

I really like how we are bringing Pocket Mirror into relevance here, but that third item needs either a rework or to not exist.

The first thing is a pretty good PHM item that i'll probably be carrying for the entire tier till emblems appear. Should probably need to be obtained later due to how long it can last you, but it seems fine otherwise.

The second is overtuned, it has the same worth of a Destroyer Emblem on top of a little chance to dodge things, and as tiny as that chance is, it adds up.

Then we have a third form it doesn't even need that breaks it completely by being a 30% dps up in one item.

I really like how we are bringing Pocket Mirror into relevance here, but that third item needs either a rework or to not exist.
I'll fix it, due to popular demand.

better chance to reflect projectiles, and an immunity to cursed and the Incom T-65 Mirror would be a good accessorie for exploring the dungeon.

There aren't any pre hardmode accesories that increase damage stats, so the star badge feels a bit off.
I suggest having it grant armor penetration probably like +10 to magic weapons. And later on it can be combined with hardmode accesoires for the effect.
+1 armor penetration is better than 1% damage for any weapon that does less than 50 damage so it is good at contributing in the early game where mages struggle, while not breaking late game options.

I find it very ironic how in most rpgs magic ignores defense, while in terarria magic has the worst armor negating options of the classes.
Melee has sharpening station and ichor flask which can be applied to any weapon.
Ranged has ichor ammo.
Summoners can use any melee/ranged weapon they want to apply ichor to assist their minions.
Mages only have 2 weapons that reduce defense. You can still reduce defense by swicthing weapons but none of the other classes need to do that.

Back
Top Bottom